Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any Difference between skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm going to buy skis for the coming winter. Like everyone else, I'd like one ski that'll go anywhere.

I can ski most pistes comfortably, struggle a bit on bumps and not much experience off piste. I'm going to get lessons this winter (haven't had any for years), and want a versatile ski. I want to learn to ski off piste well, and given the choice would always prefer to ski off piste.

I tried a pair of Salomon Lords last Jan and quite liked them, bet have read some negative reviews about build quality. Their stats are similar to some other skis - e.g Volkl Bridges, K2 KungFujas and Whitedot The Ones, amongst others.

My question is: would a 2-ski-hols-a-year skier like me notice much difference between these skis? Or even something slightly fatter like The Czar or The Preacher?

Discuss!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Would your notice the difference - probably. What's best for you whole different question. I'd think Ones rather than Preachers if you wanted to go Whitedot for your first pair of skis. I'd be very surprised if their build quality didn't hold up over Salomons having seen them in the flesh.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
i personally don't think there are too many bad skis out there, and if someone was to hand you a pair of skis and told you that they had been given a great review then you would probably quite comfortabley go away and ski, if you had 2 pairs then you would try both and may like one over the other...why?? well it could be the ski, the conditions, the tuning, your mood, the weather etc etc etc

best thing is to try a few and stick with something you like the feel of, it is a bit like a rental car...you need to get used to it, some people spend 20 minutes checking out the controls adjusting mirrors ertc , i tend to get in, adjust the seat where i want it and adjust the mirror as i am driving out the carpark...there are no hard and fast rules
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you're skiing two weeks a year, and progressing from pistes to off piste, I'd postpone buying skis for a while. Hire the best you can get in resort, change them every few days according to the conditions and the terrain you're skiing, and when you've tried a few, and have a clear idea of what sort of skiing you like, then buy some. If you've only just discovered off piste, your tastes, and requirements, are going to change quite a lot over the next few years.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Chamcham, The thing is that ski hire can be in the region of £80 per week - it doesn't take many weeks even at 1-2 per year, before you are in pocket in terms of buying skis (and yes, I know there are other costs like servicing and maybe transport if you don't go by car), but I still think financially ownership wins, even if you change every 2-3 years you can still chop in what you have for some return, which no doubt covers servicing and transport costs. I think ownership is well worth considering.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Servicing your own kit mostly becomes a pleasure rather than a chore, so don't let this discourage you.

As with all sports the more you learn about it's finer points and nuances, the stronger you tend to become at it. In short I believe that learning to service your own kit will undoubtedly make you a better skier.

I believe that the same could be said about virtually all sports I've ever tried.

Cheers!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Megamum, I know the financial argument. Having said that, unless you drive (which I do, and carry two pairs of skis and two pairs of boots, but that's another thread), the air carriage will cost at least £40, on top of that is servicing, and even if you do your own, the wax alone will cost you a tenner. And then there's the ski bag (£20-£80). But my main point is that until you really know what you want, you're better off trying out two or three pairs of state of the art skis every week. A few years ago, parabolic skis were the latest thing, then fatties, and this year it's reverse camber. Try a few skis until you know what you want, and what you want to use them for, and then buy. You'll then get a pair of skis which will last you 3-5 years before you outgrow them.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum, I know the financial argument. Having said that, unless you drive (which I do, and carry two pairs of skis and two pairs of boots, but that's another thread), the air carriage will cost at least £40, on top of that is servicing, and even if you do your own, the wax alone will cost you a tenner. And then there's the ski bag (£20-£80). But my main point is that until you really know what you want, you're better off trying out two or three pairs of state of the art skis every week. A few years ago, parabolic skis were the latest thing, then fatties, and this year it's reverse camber. Try a few skis until you know what you want, and what you want to use them for, and then buy. You'll then get a pair of skis which will last you 3-5 years before you outgrow them.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Chamcham wrote:
... the wax alone will cost you a tenner.

If you're spending a tenner a week on wax you're doing it wrong Wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I would buy a pair of all round skis late year in St Anton my mate who hired ski paid £160.00 for the best one. I got a pair of bandit 2 ski in the sale for £300.00 the plane fair this year was £25.00 and the year before £15.00 making a total of £340.00 so next year £££££ in even with servicing.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy