Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Should there be a problem with daughter having a week out of Uni for skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
earthtremor wrote:
pam w wrote:
Quote:

the Uni couldn't stop her as it would be her own cash she was wasting.

of course the Uni couldn't stop her, but if their system monitors attendance and attendance is part of the overall assessment, or even if her tutor make it clear he/she takes a dim view of it, those factors would influence her decision. The LEA can't stop you taking your kids out of school for a ski trip, either, for that matter but that's a subject which has been aired plenty of times here.

At post 16 the school can just remove her from role for it though... we've done that at our college when a student took 2 weeks off for a holiday even though they went with parents.
At pre-16 it goes down as unauthorised absence and can actually lead to the school taking direct action... before GCSE school is compulsory and parents do get issued warnings for withdrawing students and if it is a good school it can mean that they lose their place...
As a teacher myself we get enough holiday for parents not to need to withdraw students from school, i know it's expensive during school holidays but that's just the way it is... i'm with PJSKI on this one... there is absolutely no justification for withdrawing students from school to go on a leisure trip and as a teacher it has to be one of the most frustrating things i come across.

In some businesses where there is a high percentage of female workers they all want leave in the school holidays...it is not possible for everyone to have leave in the school holidays as work must go on. Life is short and we put far too much value on compulsory education. Yes I agree with it in the most part but there should be an allowance for responsible parents taking their kids away for family holidays...especially in this day and age where family time is precious. The real disruption to education is frequent short term absence. Not one planned absence per annum.

Silly comment.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oi, why?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
Oi, why?

Go get a world view.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
oh get a frickin life the lot of you!!!!

pretty sure the question was answered page one now we seem to be on a pre season battle to see who can wee wee over the highest wall
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
CEM, think that's the case for most threads? Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
PJSki, have you thought about doing your reading quietly? rolling eyes

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 23-08-09 20:23; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
will the apron strings stretch to campus?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Axsman wrote:

earthtremor, did you actually READ any of PJSki's posts? ( the ones that the mods didn't need to censor rolling eyes )

Actually i was in particular refering to PJSki's view on people pulling their kids from school about 3 posts above my reply.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
earthtremor wrote:
pam w wrote:
Quote:

of course the Uni couldn't stop her, but if their system monitors attendance and attendance is part of the overall assessment, or even if her tutor make it clear he/she takes a dim view of it, those factors would influence her decision. The LEA can't stop you taking your kids out of school for a ski trip, either, for that matter but that's a subject which has been aired plenty of times here.

At post 16 the school can just remove her from role for it though... we've done that at our college when a student took 2 weeks off for a holiday even though they went with parents.
At pre-16 it goes down as unauthorised absence and can actually lead to the school taking direct action... before GCSE school is compulsory and parents do get issued warnings for withdrawing students and if it is a good school it can mean that they lose their place...
As a teacher myself we get enough holiday for parents not to need to withdraw students from school, i know it's expensive during school holidays but that's just the way it is... i'm with PJSKI on this one... there is absolutely no justification for withdrawing students from school to go on a leisure trip and as a teacher it has to be one of the most frustrating things i come across.

In some businesses where there is a high percentage of female workers they all want leave in the school holidays...it is not possible for everyone to have leave in the school holidays as work must go on. Life is short and we put far too much value on compulsory education. Yes I agree with it in the most part but there should be an allowance for responsible parents taking their kids away for family holidays...especially in this day and age where family time is precious. The real disruption to education is frequent short term absence. Not one planned absence per annum.

Brilliant... these two comments completely contradict themselves... if you want to pull your child from school to take them on holiday then that it isn't responsible behaviour and really how do you quantify which parents are and are not responsible? You can't have an attendance regulation based on gut feeling and to be honest if you start down that road you'll end up with half the parents in the school withdrawing their kids for a family holiday as soon as a cheap deal comes up.
Whilst i sympathise with people not being able to take leave at the same time that's just unfortunate... hey i'd love to be able to pull myself from school in mid january and enjoy a holiday at half the price but i can't and that's just the way it is.
The comment about trips in school time... at none of the 4 schools i have worked at have any of our ski trips gone out during term time, and actually i would still argue that there is benefit to taking a group of students out together as i creates a positive attitude between staff and students and can have a beneficial effect back at school during term time.
Ultimately if parents think so little of our education system that they are happy to withdraw students for holidays how can we as a nation expect our children to take school seriously themselves?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
earthtremor, Many kids have parents who work long hours. Not all of them are able to take time off to spend with their family during termtime. Children benefit hugely from the time with their parents too. My hubby is one of those for whom time off in school holidays was often not possible, and , with the schools permission, we did remove both our children from school. We didn't do so at times of important exams though, and didn't do so every year. We are both pharmacists and, by law, need another pharmacist to replace us when we are on holiday. In school holidays, locums are in desperately short supply, as many of the locums are mothers with school age children.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

if you want to pull your child from school to take them on holiday then that it isn't responsible behaviour

I don't see the correlation.

Teachers, at least the pre-16 teachers, often think too highly of themselves for their own good. I would trust a parent who's a dentist or a uni professor over that of the teacher in judging whether a week of classroom time is worth more or less than a week of skiing time. And the same principle applies when the parent is a lowly computer programmer. Wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think School is different from University.

Helen Beaumont, is spot on in her last post - and if the last week of any given school term actually had any teaching done - I might take earthtremor's views more seriously.

University is however different - and should be - at least in part - about kids escaping and growing up away from their parents. PJSki may be right about the helicopter parents. It is a precious 3-4 years of growing experience. I do hope I will be able to back off when the time comes.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stoatsbrother, by then, you will be so sick of the sight of them, you'll be glad to see them go. wink . Our two are still invited to come if they wish, particularly for Xmas, but there is no obligation for them to do so, and I won't throw a tantrum if they don't. I was pleased to have their company at New Year, I couldn't have managed without them

P.S. They definitely can't afford the uni ski trips.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, Yes, it was when I was at school. Spain, bucket & spade? At age 17? Errr.....No.......More like sun, sea, sand and Sangria and yes, I did go!! wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hmm, I used to pull my daughter out of school ,and uni to go skiing. Done so much damage she now has 2 first class degrees, and can ski well! Evil or Very Mad Bad mum!
snow report
Christina1, she won't be the first person to skive off college to go on holiday.
snow report
earthtremor wrote:

Ultimately if parents think so little of our education system that they are happy to withdraw students for holidays .....

We ought to be finding out the reason why ......

and doing something about it rolling eyes
ski holidays
PJSki wrote:

I only get my posts deleted because fat, little crybabies go sniveling to the mods about them. I post what I think, one of you lot reads it, gets all upset and demands that it's removed. They go crying to one of their mod mates and down it goes. You're all a bit pathetic, really. Unfortunately for you, the newer members aren't part of your clique, take people at face value and aren't interested in your shitty little version of forum history.

Yeah right Timmy. It's everyone else's fault that the big bad mods pick on poor little you. Keep posting, do. the 'newer members' (those that don't recall why you were banned) will judge for themselves what a poisonous little shoite you really are. xxx
snow report
earthtremor wrote:
... if you want to pull your child from school to take them on holiday then that it isn't responsible behaviour ...

Congrats on sanctimonious post of the week award.

'Responsible' parents make decisions about what is in the best interests of their children. This does not always align with the diktat of their schools - deal with it. Little Angel
ski holidays
maggi wrote:
earthtremor wrote:

Ultimately if parents think so little of our education system that they are happy to withdraw students for holidays .....

We ought to be finding out the reason why ......

and doing something about it rolling eyes

Actually, the reason is quite simple. Parents don't neccessarily think "little" of the entire "education system". But that doesn't mean they think EVERY SINGLE WEEK of that "system" is all that absolutely essential, as earthtremor seems to believe. rolling eyes

It's one thing to be enthusiastic of one's work. It's something else to think it's the best thing under the sun, AND require others to submit to the same view.

Let's face it, a lot of the parents are a whole lot smarter than the teachers of their sons and daughters. Therefore are in a better position to have the say on how to spend a few weeks out of a year of their kids' education.
ski holidays
earthtremor wrote:
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
earthtremor wrote:
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Brilliant... these two comments completely contradict themselves... if you want to pull your child from school to take them on holiday then that it isn't responsible behaviour and really how do you quantify which parents are and are not responsible? You can't have an attendance regulation based on gut feeling and to be honest if you start down that road you'll end up with half the parents in the school withdrawing their kids for a family holiday as soon as a cheap deal comes up.
Whilst i sympathise with people not being able to take leave at the same time that's just unfortunate... hey i'd love to be able to pull myself from school in mid january and enjoy a holiday at half the price but i can't and that's just the way it is.
The comment about trips in school time... at none of the 4 schools i have worked at have any of our ski trips gone out during term time, and actually i would still argue that there is benefit to taking a group of students out together as i creates a positive attitude between staff and students and can have a beneficial effect back at school during term time.
Ultimately if parents think so little of our education system that they are happy to withdraw students for holidays how can we as a nation expect our children to take school seriously themselves?

Yeah but not every working person gets 50 days holiday a year..... Give or take a few.....
ski holidays
Axsman wrote:
PJSki wrote:

I only get my posts deleted because fat, little crybabies go sniveling to the mods about them. I post what I think, one of you lot reads it, gets all upset and demands that it's removed. They go crying to one of their mod mates and down it goes. You're all a bit pathetic, really. Unfortunately for you, the newer members aren't part of your clique, take people at face value and aren't interested in your shitty little version of forum history.

Yeah right Timmy. It's everyone else's fault that the big bad mods pick on poor little you. Keep posting, do. the 'newer members' (those that don't recall why you were banned) will judge for themselves what a poisonous little shoite you really are. xxx

You should come and say that to my face, fat boy.
ski holidays
Twitchy87 wrote:

Yeah but not every working person gets 50 days holiday a year..... Give or take a few.....

A lot of the teachers I knew used to do other jobs during the holidays. Compare that to some nerdy fat boy who fiddles with computers in an office for 65k and 5 weeks off, you realise that teaching isn't the greatest deal for a graduate.
latest report
PJSki wrote:
Axsman wrote:
PJSki wrote:

You should come and say that to my face, fat boy.

I'll say it to your face. Either come up to Cheltenham or let us know which SCGB resort you're in next season and I'll see if I can make it, you poisonous little gutless shoite.
snow conditions
hyweljenkins,
Quote:

let us know which SCGB resort you're in next season
You can easily look this up on the SCGB website, you don't have to be a member to do so. All the rep dates (or most of them) are up now.
latest report
hyweljenkins,
Quote:
or let us know

Safety in numbers.
ski holidays
Just to get back to the thread subject wink although I suspect the OP has run away now.... I agree with wot most of the above have said. It's your daughter's decision now and she will have to weigh up the consequences.

When I was at Uni doing an arty-farty sociology/politics degree I had about 9 contact hours a week. I very much doubt I would have been missed for a week. The OH works at a vet school - their students do 9-5 five days a week and a very strict control is kept on their attendance. If your daughter wants to come with you for a week she should discuss with someone at Uni first to check she won't have bad marks against her name.
snow report
cathy, No have not run away, but OMG didn't think my teeny weeny question would have this much response! Some very helpful posts - thank you.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cathy wrote:
Just to get back to the thread subject wink although I suspect the OP has run away now.... I agree with wot most of the above have said. It's your daughter's decision now and she will have to weigh up the consequences.

Being an adult is all about making personal decisions. I have a friend who, at 44, still has her parents controlling her. She lacks proper independents due to their interfering.
snow conditions
Christina1, many students change courses up to half way through their first year. They then (if they're serious about their study of course) have to work damn hard to make up the missed weeks on top of the new course, but it's very do-able. My point being that I saw many people catch-up up to 12 weeks during year 1. 1 week will not be an issue, she'll have 20 weeks of University holiday to catch it up in for starters.
ski holidays
PJSki, Val d'Isere, eh? One of my favourites. Reference calling Axsman "fatboy", I think that's a pot calling a kettle "noir".

Safety in numbers? Aren't you vying for safety behind a sock-puppet?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 24-08-09 9:40; edited 1 time in total
latest report
hyweljenkins, really? I never thought he was him, if you get what I mean.
snow report
Quote:

Uni ski trips are also an awful lot mroe expensive than going with Mum and Dad.

My daughter went last Dec to Val Thorens on the bus from Uni, £275 all in, bus travel, pass, nightclub entry, bed. All they had to do was feed and water (!) themelves, most of which came out from the UK on the bus. I bet Mum and Dad can't do it that cheap, and the night club entry alone must amount to about half this amount in a week. Will she be going again this December?
- (TIGNES, you have been warned!) -
Yes snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
hyweljenkins, is identifying someone not a flagrant breach of the rules? Shocked
ski holidays
Mountain Haddock, price of trip at son's university was much more expensive. Regardless of cost it would have been me paying, or him extending his huge overdraft . They get a bed for free from us.
ski holidays
Replaced the comment as it may not have been to the person linked!

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 24-08-09 12:21; edited 1 time in total
latest report
hyweljenkins, I don't believe PJSki's real identity is the person that link points to. His posting style is an exact match for the unpleasantries often posted (usually while drunk) by a certain Tim Brown before he was banned.

They could well be mates though, TB was often defending any perceived slurs to the Ski Club in general and that guy in particular, back in the old DG days wink

Back O/T - Christina1, having two daughters at Uni (one Computer Science, one Biochemistry) we would always let it be their choice as to come with us (during or outside of term time) or go on a Uni trip. We do normally try to avoid term time which with uni breaks being different from school breaks is usually possible.

One thing is for certain - whatever they do, we'll be paying Laughing
ski holidays
TB and PJSki are the same poster. But I agree with Axsman that I don't think he is the person linked to - different posting styles. Unless of course IP addresses are the same wink
snow report
Goodness me! I thought the entire community knew who PJSki aka Tim Brown was and where he lives and which resorts he reps in Shocked

PJ/Tim has never made a secret of being a rep or indeed the town in which he lives.
snow report
Cant find a rep called Tim Brown! Has he been evicted from SCGB?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy