Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Should there be a problem with daughter having a week out of Uni for skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
Helen Beaumont wrote:
Uni ski trips are also an awful lot mroe expensive than going with Mum and Dad.

But don't mummy and daddy normally bung their little cherubs at least a monkey in pocket money? Wouldn't want them to miss out on Pimms O'clock, what what!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Its because of these sorts of things that far to many people phone in work stating they are sick, when in fact thy just want the day off

It all depends. Yes, if you lie about being "ill". No, if you discuss with those concerned and make a responsible decision.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
PJSki, I certainly can't afford to bung my kids that amount of money as pocket money. Not every uni student has rich posh parents you know.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Helen Beaumont,
Quote:

Not every uni student has rich posh parents you know
I don't think you'll succeed in making any mark on PJSki's chronic inverted snobbery. wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

She is privaleged to go to University. She should not abuse that privalege

Indeed - she should do what any self-respecting student does and get pished all the time and sleep it off in the lecture halls.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Boris wrote:
Quote:

Indeed - she should do what any self-respecting student does and get pished all the time and sleep it off in the lecture halls.

...and get shagged, she'll want to get shagged too. Every uni gal should feed her bulldog with porridge.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PJSki wrote:
...and get shagged, she'll want to get shagged too. Every uni gal should feed her bulldog with porridge.

and they call me boorish Shocked
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Masque wrote:
PJSki wrote:

and they call me boorish Shocked

Well, it's the truth. What do people fink these kids do at uni?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We pray to God that one day there will be world peace and go on long fasting sessions. Booze is an absolute no.

That was sarcastic in case it wasn't obvious...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Christina1, If she wants to go with you she will go, it is not your decision. If she wants to stay behind fine, IT IS HER DECISION!

I would not echo anyones breakfast references.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

what she'll experience in the trip will be many times more benefitial than what she would get by sitting in class

Didn't do anything for the spelling though. Laughing

Precisely the point. Cool

Spelling is overrated. If a student can't think clearly, spelling a muddled thought correctly is no more useful than not spelling it at all.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Haven't read the rest of the comments but go on holiday and leave her behind as she will be having to much fun taking drugs, drinking lots and blowing the rugby boys. Enjoy yourself, don't worry about her Toofy Grin
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Helen Beaumont wrote:

But they are a hell of a lot more fun.......
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PJSki wrote:
Boris wrote:
Quote:

Haha thats one of the best posts ive ever read. Never a truer word spoken.....
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Timbobaggins wrote:

Sure and with the governments "everyone's got to go to uni, therefore lets make the A levels a piece of p1ss programme" then soon little Johnny will be eligible for university having achieved a GNVQ in catching the bus
snow report
thefatcontroller, PJSki, Laughing Toofy Grin
ski holidays
bertie bassett, I'll be in line when they offer certificates' how to use an alpine ski lift' - but will I need the bus catching one first ? Madeye-Smiley
latest report
bertie bassett wrote:
Timbobaggins wrote:

Sure and with the governments "everyone's got to go to uni, therefore lets make the A levels a piece of p1ss programme" then soon little Johnny will be eligible for university having achieved a GNVQ in catching the bus
Laughing Laughing But I had to check the date on that Telegraph link - thinking that it surely must be 1 April! Shocked rolling eyes Shocked rolling eyes
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont wrote:

Yes, but she may get A Life Very Happy
ski holidays
Have a word with the tutor when she gets there. I guess if you're upfront about it then it'd be ok. Some courses do have an attendance requirement. As others have said, if the course has a practical aspect eg labs then missing a week can be a pain. If you're lucky they may let you make the time up.

I guess as others have said you can't really know til you've started the course, then decide for herself.

I work at a university on a science course and did a chemistry degree myself, I don't think missing a week would have hurt me or would affect most students. Just make sure it's not round exam time, never mind the course worring about it may ruin the holiday
ski holidays
Christina1, I would say its her decision, but could a university say 'no?' Given that the tuition is paid for these days (AFAIK) I would have thought that if your daughter wanted to take a week off the Uni couldn't stop her as it would be her own cash she was wasting.
ski holidays
Megamum, I don't suppose any education institution can "stop" anyone from taking a week off, from nursery school onwards; it's the potential penalty that drives the decision whether the risk is worth taking.
latest report
Didn't CSJ used to have time off for her ski trips? IIRC she used to write that she used to have a word with her tutor and arrange to catch up stuff later as and when necessary - I don't recall that time off was something she used to have a problem with.
ski holidays
Quote:

the Uni couldn't stop her as it would be her own cash she was wasting.

of course the Uni couldn't stop her, but if their system monitors attendance and attendance is part of the overall assessment, or even if her tutor make it clear he/she takes a dim view of it, those factors would influence her decision. The LEA can't stop you taking your kids out of school for a ski trip, either, for that matter but that's a subject which has been aired plenty of times here.
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

of course the Uni couldn't stop her, but if their system monitors attendance and attendance is part of the overall assessment, or even if her tutor make it clear he/she takes a dim view of it, those factors would influence her decision. The LEA can't stop you taking your kids out of school for a ski trip, either, for that matter but that's a subject which has been aired plenty of times here.

Anyone who does that should be locked up.
snow conditions
I tend to think that a ski trip might be looked on more favourabley than for example 2 weeks on a beach in Spain. The LEA's themselves support the school organising ski trips themselves that take kids out of school for a week, so I can hardly see that they can legitimately object to parents doing the same thing.
ski holidays
PJSki, and the key thrown away? wink
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

At post 16 the school can just remove her from role for it though... we've done that at our college when a student took 2 weeks off for a holiday even though they went with parents.
At pre-16 it goes down as unauthorised absence and can actually lead to the school taking direct action... before GCSE school is compulsory and parents do get issued warnings for withdrawing students and if it is a good school it can mean that they lose their place...
As a teacher myself we get enough holiday for parents not to need to withdraw students from school, i know it's expensive during school holidays but that's just the way it is... i'm with PJSKI on this one... there is absolutely no justification for withdrawing students from school to go on a leisure trip and as a teacher it has to be one of the most frustrating things i come across.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Twitchy87 wrote:
Helen Beaumont wrote:

But they are a hell of a lot more fun.......

Depends on the parents I suppose.
ski holidays
It's up to her. University isn't school, she's an adult now!
snow report
Wot narc (and a few other sensible snowHead 's) said. she's an adult, her call. Uni won't even notice, and she can 'catch up' with anything she's missed from lecture notes and reading (if she needs to and can be bothered).

There's been a lot of twaddle spouted on this thread and a lot of holier than thou hand wringing. it's not school, it's Uni. It's her call.

All IMHO of course. Little Angel

earthtremor, did you actually READ any of PJSki's posts? ( the ones that the mods didn't need to censor rolling eyes )
snow report
earthtremor, then as a teacher how do you justify the school deciding to withdraw the pupils for a leisure trip - my school offered ski trips at age 14 and trips to Spain (non-educational) at 17, both in term time. Just because a trip is organised by a school doesn't make it more 'educational' or beneficial for the kids than one organised by the school.
snow report
Megamum, was that when you were at school yourself? Was it a traditional "bucket 'n' spade" type holiday in Spain?
ski holidays
some school trips aren't very educational - my son in law recently went on term-time school trip to France, as a "first aider" - he's not a French teacher. He said it seemed a pretty fair waste of time; they spoke very little French indeed and it was mostly just a jolly - but a fairly boring one. He has organised lots of school ski trips and reckons they're more educational and certainly more fun.

Yes - it's for her to make her decision but on the basis of accurate information from her own university about her own course - people saying that the uni "won't notice" and "won't give a damn" may well be wrong. It would have been true when I was in uni but that was another era.
latest report
My husband works in a university and they do take attendance lists at lectures and tutorials in his department. This is as a result of poor attendance levels and people struggling to do course work and exams properly, usually mainly because they're trying to earn some cash in a job.

It would be my suggestion that she informs the university about the trip if she intends on going.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 23-08-09 19:48; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Megamum, I see you mentioned me!

Yes, when I started college (which was my choice whether to turn up to or not) I already had a ski trip booked (the legendary end of season bash no less) and so I told my tutor. He was cool with it, especially as I said I was taking my laptop and had wifi so could download the lesson paperwork and presentations I was missing.
However when I wanted another week for the end of season bash in year 2 I was denied it *curses*

I suppose with uni it's the student's choice, I'd deffo say it was Christine's daughter's choice, and she should be able to skip a week no problem, question is - is it worth it? As many have said... if it's first year and marks not counted towards final then yeah do it - brain surgery workshops - nah, be cool stay in school.
ski holidays
Axsman wrote:

earthtremor, did you actually READ any of [b]PJSki's posts? ( the ones that the mods didn't need to censor[/b] rolling eyes )

I only get my posts deleted because fat, little crybabies go sniveling to the mods about them. I post what I think, one of you lot reads it, gets all upset and demands that it's removed. They go crying to one of their mod mates and down it goes. You're all a bit pathetic, really. Unfortunately for you, the newer members aren't part of your clique, take people at face value and aren't interested in your shitty little version of forum history.
snow report
PJSki,
Quote:

You're all a bit pathetic, really
If that's your view, why don't you find somewhere more congenial to play, somewhere that your insight, wit and charm will be appreciated?
ski holidays
earthtremor wrote:
pam w wrote:
Quote:

At post 16 the school can just remove her from role for it though... we've done that at our college when a student took 2 weeks off for a holiday even though they went with parents.
At pre-16 it goes down as unauthorised absence and can actually lead to the school taking direct action... before GCSE school is compulsory and parents do get issued warnings for withdrawing students and if it is a good school it can mean that they lose their place...
As a teacher myself we get enough holiday for parents not to need to withdraw students from school, i know it's expensive during school holidays but that's just the way it is... i'm with PJSKI on this one... there is absolutely no justification for withdrawing students from school to go on a leisure trip and as a teacher it has to be one of the most frustrating things i come across.

In some businesses where there is a high percentage of female workers they all want leave in the school holidays...it is not possible for everyone to have leave in the school holidays as work must go on. Life is short and we put far too much value on compulsory education. Yes I agree with it in the most part but there should be an allowance for responsible parents taking their kids away for family holidays...especially in this day and age where family time is precious. The real disruption to education is frequent short term absence. Not one planned absence per annum.
latest report
Hurtle wrote:
PJSki,
Quote:

You're all a bit pathetic, really
If that's your view, why don't you find somewhere more congenial to play, somewhere that your insight, wit and charm will be appreciated?

Excluding you and your snotty little mates, there are still loads of great people here. Well worth staying here to read what they think.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sun 23-08-09 20:55; edited 1 time in total
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy