Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Memmingem to Kappl

Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone driven this route before. Ryanair have just launched new flights from Edinburgh to Memmingem and will save me around £800 on flights to Innsbruck. The most direct route looks via Reutte but unsure if this is closed/bad in winter.
Any tips from those in the know would be appreciated
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Fernpass route should be open in winter I believe, I have only been that way in summer, but once the A7 runs out as you approach the Austrian border it is either slow or dead slow until you reach the Inn valley. It is about 25 miles further, but I would go via Bregenz and the Arlberg.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
boabski, Best and quickest way is straight down the A96 to Bodensee Bregenz/Lindau) and on through the Fender Tunnel into Austria. Should be a doddle to be honest. Then on up through the Arlberg towards Landeck. Up to the German border there are few stretches of the A96 where there are speed limits. If you do see one make sure you comply as the A96 is a favourite cash cow for the Bavarian police Evil or Very Mad

The advantage with Memmingen is that it is close enough to the mountains to make it a viable alternative, but not too close that it is likely to close when the weather gets iffy!.

It is just a wee bit further north and east than Friedrichshafen. The temptation would be to drive straight down the A7 to Reutte but that route can be horrendous when the weather is bad. Especially when you reach the Kempton area and the end of the autobahn at Pfronten.

RobinS, The Fern Pass is open in winter but it can be an absolute nightmare for traffic, especially at the weekends. It is used by a lot of trucks as well as vehicles towing caravans and the traffic builds up very quickly behind it.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Samerberg Sue,RobinS, Thanks. I've just literally booked Edinburgh to Munich then coming back from Memmingem to Edinburgh as the flight times worked out much better - half a day better each day. Will head via Bodensee then on way back and hopefully we'll get to see some of it - have flown in and out of Friedrichshafen a few times and always misty/sleety/dark. I'm guessing that arriving on 2nd Jan that we will be going in opposite direction from bulk of traffic Puzzled - here's hoping anyway
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Been driving through the Bregenz and Lindau route for the last 2 to 3 years and the traffic was slow when crossing the border. Think there has been a bit of major road reconstruction work there too. However I would agree with Samerberg Sue that it is still the best choice.

I have driven in the winter between Gamisch Partenkirchen to At Anton and that route has been well kept off the snow. My brother also had the family ski bag missing on arrival at Munich and the carrier undertook to deliver it to him next day early in the morning (around 7am) through this road for him just in time to commence the normal skiing day.

Have done the route through Reutte to visit Neuschwanstein Castle in summer but the road can be torturous as suggested.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Allgau Flughaven (Memmingen) is on the east side of the Town.

IF your going during Peak (Holidays) Season be aware off two Staus (Traffic Jams)

The Autobahn-Dreieck (Intersection) at Memmingen A96 (E54) and A7 (E532) .

A96 (E54) Autobahn is not complete and there is a very slow section ( See link). It can be one of the worse bottlenecks on the whole German Autobahn Network.

: A96 (E54) bottelneck

Have you thought about taking the train to Landeck then just taking the Bus up to Kappl its no big deal. You dont need a car in Kappl & just as a warning the Police operate Alcohol Control in the Silvretta Valley Day & Night.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stanton, Flying into Munich then going back from Memmingem, so think I will go to Memmingem via the Lindau way then. Hopefully I will be going against the traffic flow as I'm going the week after New Year. Train would be fine if it were just me but the thought of trailing 5 peoples worth of ski luggage (all have our own gear) on and off of trains, does not appeal to me, albeit would probably work out marginally cheaper and be better for the environment. Will not be using car during the week but thanks for the heads up
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
i'm driving from Memmingen to Ischgl in December, can anyone recommend a place to pick up the Vignette needed for the Austrian Motorway.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Come of the Autobahn at the Lindau exit (last exit beofre border). Your see a Gas station opposite a McDonalds. You can buy them there.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
mango, You can buy them at any of the service areas on the autobahns heading towards the border. You may even be able to buy one at the airport or a gas station nearby. Make sure you have the Vignette BEFORE you cross into Austria as the police are particularly quick on picking up German registered cars without the "Pickerl" and ignorance is no defence or acceptable excuse - you have to cough up the fine - I think they start at 400 Euros but they keep revising the penalties upwards! Evil or Very Mad

Just as an aside with regard to the so-called A96 "bottle-neck" - it is nowhere near as bad as the one between Kempton and Reutte on the A7 route. I was under the impression that the motorway was now completed as I have not been held up on the route to Bregenz for a couple of years now. Looking at the map, that section is fairly fast and is only about 5 or 6 kms of flat straightish road as I remember so the traffic usually moves along quite well. As with all 2-lane main roads, if there is an accident then there is a hold-up. Whereas the Kempton-Reutte-Pfronten route is regularly snarled up with just "volume of traffic" - today for example they are giving out traffic warnings of delays along this road - middle of the week and no bad weather!

As for it being one of the "worst bottle-necks on the whole of the German Autobahn Network" - my answer is a Bavarian one - "Schmarrn" Unnecessary exaggerated nonsense, Stanton.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Samerberg Sue wrote:
that section is fairly fast and is only about 5 or 6 kms of flat straightish road as I remember so the traffic usually moves along quite well.

I must admit I have not driven it for 3 or 4 seasons however in Holiday periods it can be a very slow funnel.

As far as I know it is still not complete however according to this it should be finished November this year . If true its only taken at least 25 yrs to get this last section complete (because of protests) !!

http://www.kisslegg.de/p/d3.asp?artikel_id=1468&liste=&tmpl_typ=Detail&lp=1899

http://www.kisslegg.de/images/dld/1652007_101511_A96.pdf

Ausbaustand A 96

http://www.kisslegg.de/p/d1.asp?artikel_id=1588&liste=&tmpl_typ=Detail&lp=2007
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stanton, Maybe you shouldn't be towing a dozen caravans or be in a convoy of your compatriots exiting the Netherlands wink That does tend to slow things down a lot - witness the horror of a real motorway bottleneck, the section between Weyern (A8 Munich Salzburg) and the Inntal Dreiecke (A8/A93 to the Tirol) - my daily commuting route to and from work!

Sorry you are talking twaddle - I use this motorway on a regular basis and have not had a problem with this last section and have had no problems for about 4 or 5 years even in peak periods. The last time I got stuck it was due to a big accident caused by a caravan (nationality unknown) being tipped over by some idiot driving too fast! That was when there were more missing sections and the idiot forgot to slow down for the bend as you moved from the completed section of motorway on to the old road.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I use the train . Cars suck Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thanks guys.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:
The Fern Pass is open in winter but it can be an absolute nightmare for traffic, especially at the weekends. It is used by a lot of trucks as well as vehicles towing caravans and the traffic builds up very quickly behind it.
That's true of the Fendertunnel as well! I always drive to St. A over Fernpass. If you get there early the drive only takes about 2h15 these days. Having said that I would deffo take the Lindau route to Memmingen from Kappl.
snow conditions
Steilhang, In really busy times they use "Blockanfertigung" don't they? Just like the Katschberg Tunnels on the A10. But the queues never seem to be as long as those on the A10.

A colleague of mine who commutes along this section every weekend told me if it is busy it is easy to drive around and get back on to the A96 again. But the "hole" should be filled by the next ski season as all the reports I've read say that this section of unopened motorway will be finished and opened by October/November at the latest. Any later and it will probably not be cleared by the safety people until after next winter.

Driving home along the A8 last night I was amazed that the recovery work for a burnt out lorry and trailer near the Bad Aibling exit (going towards Munich) had still not been completed. The incident was being reported on the traffic news at 06:00 so it took all day to clear up. The traffic jam stretched back to Chiemsee on the A8 (about 20kms or so) and to Brannenberg on the A93. People were using the U-routes to get round the hold ups which made my turn off the motorway a very long wait for a gap big enough to turn left on to the road back to my village! As I pointed out earlier in this thread, the A8/A93 Inntal sections are horrendous for jams when it really goes pear-shaped!

rolling eyes
snow report
Samerberg Sue,
Quote:
In really busy times they use "Blockanfertigung" don't they?
Yes. They do that at the Tauerntunnel as well when things get really rough Sad One reason I avoid the Tauernautobahn like the plague and always drive to Kärnten via Kitzbühel / Mittersil etc. Scenically much nicer anyway!
According to Wikipedia the A96 will be completed in 2009, which will be really good!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy