Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cat Skiing and Gratuities (er,that's tips to you and me...)

Poster: A snowHead
PJSki wrote:
Anyway, they made the tip side of things clear when he book. He shouldn't have fixated on the 1200 figure. .

I got the impression he found out while on the holiday (that was how I found out about US tips. Sad )
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowball wrote:
PJSki wrote:
Anyway, they made the tip side of things clear when he book. He shouldn't have fixated on the 1200 figure. .

I got the impression he found out while on the holiday (that was how I found out about US tips. Sad )

Maybe, maybe not. Many package operator clearly spell out the gratuity at booking. But not everyone reads every line of the fine print carefully.

In response to that, many TO are printing that part in bigger and bigger letters. Laughing
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think the nature of tipping is quite clear. It works like this.
Based on your expectations of what you expected of a service at the price you paid for it -
Did the service exceed your expectations or not? If so by how much.

The expectation or nationality of the person giving the service is irrelevent.
gratuity - an award (as for meritorious service) given without claim or obligation.

Asking others "how much should I tip?" is useless as the answer is subjective and based on your personal expectations.

In other words , if I go to a very expensive restarant, heavy tipping is unlikely as my expectation will already be high. If I go to a cheap reataurant but still get a stunning meal and service, then I would be inclined to tip generously.

In the US tipping is out of control, expectations are high. So high that, some people give service in a manner that is unatural and overly obsequious, such that it makes me uncomfortable and has exactly the opposite effect.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
nixmap wrote:

In the US tipping is out of control, expectations are high. So high that, some people give service in a manner that is unatural and overly obsequious, such that it makes me uncomfortable and has exactly the opposite effect.

I certainly wouldnt say it is out of control. Ive always had good service when in the US of A but it annoys me when (I work in restaurant over here) you go the extra mile the customer states 'Oh what a wonderful meal excellent service very friendly always service with a smile blah blah blah' and they keep their £1.20 change off a £121.20 bill...... I think if you know people are likely to tip your more willing to go the extra mile for the customer. Id rather have an over zealous waiter than a grumpy unhelpful sod doing the bare minimum.....
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
abc wrote:
snowball wrote:
PJSki wrote:

Maybe, maybe not. Many package operator clearly spell out the gratuity at booking. But not everyone reads every line of the fine print carefully.

In response to that, many TO are printing that part in bigger and bigger letters. Laughing
Well personally I don't use TOs.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Twitchy87 wrote:
I certainly wouldnt say it is out of control. Ive always had good service when in the US of A but it annoys me when (I work in restaurant over here) you go the extra mile the customer states 'Oh what a wonderful meal excellent service very friendly always service with a smile blah blah blah' and they keep their £1.20 change off a £121.20 bill......

Most restaurants in Europe are service included. Its in the bill, most read to see whether thats there or not. Actually its optional to pay for it, and on rare accasions Ive tested that
I assume you mean £12.10 BTW or yet again Ive missed the point?

Twitchy87 wrote:

I think if you know people are likely to tip your more willing to go the extra mile for the customer. Id rather have an over zealous waiter than a grumpy unhelpful sod doing the bare minimum

Of course both are bad,but I dont agree with you, but that really just proves how subjective it is.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
nixmap wrote:
Twitchy87 wrote:
I certainly wouldnt say it is out of control. Ive always had good service when in the US of A but it annoys me when (I work in restaurant over here) you go the extra mile the customer states 'Oh what a wonderful meal excellent service very friendly always service with a smile blah blah blah' and they keep their £1.20 change off a £121.20 bill......

Most restaurants in Europe are service included. Its in the bill, most read to see whether thats there or not. Actually its optional to pay for it, and on rare accasions Ive tested that
I assume you mean £12.10 BTW or yet again Ive missed the point?

Twitchy87 wrote:

I think if you know people are likely to tip your more willing to go the extra mile for the customer. Id rather have an over zealous waiter than a grumpy unhelpful sod doing the bare minimum

Of course both are bad,but I dont agree with you, but that really just proves how subjective it is.

No youve missed the point of keeping the small change off a large bill if the service has been very good and they have stated so, why not tip? Or be very tight and keep the small amount of change? I just dont understand not tipping if the service was very good...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Twitchy87, I think nixmap was making the point it is unlikely you would get £1.20 change on a £121.20 bill - why would anyone put down £122.40? nevertheless your point is well made about keeping the small change.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I was told some years ago by French friends that in France restaurant service is by law included in the prices. If the service is good you may wish to round the bill up a small amount. I don't know if this is true in any other countries.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowball, it's true in lots of countries, Italy and Hong Kong where I am now for example. I completely agree with nixmap, view on this one. For tipping to be expected (certainly the amount to be expected) it completely takes away the point.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
beanie1 wrote:
snowball, it's true in lots of countries, Italy and Hong Kong where I am now for example. I completely agree with nixmap, view on this one. For tipping to be expected (certainly the amount to be expected) it completely takes away the point.

The "point" is, you can choose NOT to pay it as an indication of displeasure.

Or as an indication of a cheapscape.

Granted, not very fair to the service staff in the latter case.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
abc, is there a minimum wage in the US? If so, are restaurants allowed to include tips in it? There's been big outcry in the UK recently with many restaurants found to be using tips to top up their staff's pay to the minimum wage, completely unacceptable.

In my view on a mid - high price restaurant bill service as expected would get a small tip. It would have to be exceptional to warrant as much as 15%, beyond expectations. If service has gone beyond expectations, how can you reward it if 15% is already "expected' for adequate service? It just gets silly.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
beanie1, minimum wage doesn't apply to restaurant staff. Somehow, the industry had managed to get an "exemption".

The tipping culture is such that most waiters and waitresses prefer to leave it that way. Even in a low end restaurant, they can get 2-3 times the minimum wage. Probably one of the highest paid job for non-skilled labor. (though technically, it's not exactly "non-skilled") As such, table-waiting is considered a "sort after" job, much more desirable than working in McDonalds.

I personally don't see much of a issue. If we somehow managed to abolish tipping altogehter, then the manu will simply be 15% higher for all restaurants. This is already the case in some small percentage of (mostly high end) restaurants. We wouldn't even have the option of NOT paying that 15%! As times gets tougher, restaurant patrons are getting stingy on their tips. So more and more restaurants are adding the 15% on top of their bill in a line item of "service charge". In effect, it's moving towards a non-optional tip.

Quote:

If service has gone beyond expectations, how can you reward it if 15% is already "expected' for adequate service?

Simple, you tip 20%!

You might think that's silly. But once you get your head around to the total = x+15% as the "true" bill, it's no more silly to pay another 5% extra as "true tip". Cool

For Americans traveling abroad, we have just as much trouble with VAT in many country as you have with tips in N.A. In both case, the total amount are MORE than the "base" price. But in the case of VAT, it's not optional. And you don't even get a smile to go with it! rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
For Americans traveling abroad, we have just as much trouble with VAT in many country as you have with tips in N.A. In both case, the total amount are MORE than the "base" price. But in the case of VAT, it's not optional. And you don't even get a smile to go with it!

Utter nonsense, VAT is optional, in many countries you can claim it back if you are non resident.

If you are resident youve only got yourselves to blame, you have agreed to live in a country that has collectively voted for some form of consumption tax.If you dont like it, change the way you vote, either idealogically, or with your feet.. Sorry thats getting off topic.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
abc wrote:

For Americans traveling abroad, we have just as much trouble with VAT in many country as you have with tips in N.A. In both case, the total amount are MORE than the "base" price. But in the case of VAT, it's not optional. And you don't even get a smile to go with it! rolling eyes

What's confusing about VAT? It's a tax, not a tip, just like sales tax in the US. In the States you get prices on things like '99.98 plus tax'. At least over here you don't need to work out the cost in your head.
snow report
On a more practical note about tipping on tour.

Heres a tip for you all. (sic)

If you stop and think about it. Tips really only have a positive effect for the tipper after youve made them, the second time you attend some where.
Once the service know you are a generous tipper you really will get the best service.

Another thread to this on holiday, when you got to a restaurant, tip the man 5$ for taking your coat, make a 5$ tip to the wine waiter for corkage., or some other pre dinner service.
Of course this is totally unexpected, and for the rest of the meal staff will be lining up to give you the best that they can. Then at the end of the meal you can tip as you like taking into account the $10 you have already paid. As tips in all restarants are normally pooled it wont make the slightest difference who you actually gave the money to.

When you arrive at a hotel, always tip the bell boy more than you think could ever be resaonable.
The information will go around very quickly and you will get great service.
Again you can then tip as you like at the end.

Of course you could argue thats this was part of you master plan and therefore extra good service was part of your expectations, you dont then have to pay any more tips at all Twisted Evil
snow conditions
Okay here we go.

I used to work in a pub 20 odd years ago (when I still had hair). Didn't expect a tip top be nice and got the odd drink bought at christmas from the regulars (money in the comunal jar).
I was paid a wage and the owner expected me to be nice !!!! no matter what!!!!.

I then ran a pub and paid my staff 50% more than the competition. I also paid their taxi's home and gave them free beer if they were going to a party...as long as it was in the stock book. I also bought them a take away if they worked through dinner time. Turnover went up from 1800-4600/week in 6 months. I finally had to leave by mutual consent because I sacked the owners daughter for stealling. Ooooops. I was young and full of principles then Happy

Next I was a taxi driver... A nice one..honest. I didn't expect a tip but always got one because I did things like take the messages or bags into peoples houses or at least to the door. It made a difference of 25% on my money.

BUT I got this because I was nice. the first time I went to the USA I was shocked that everything had a tip attached to it. I asked a nice waitress in a bar what I should tip., explaining that I was Scottish and didn't want to offend by giving the wrong tip. She said 15% or 20% but only if excelent. I found that I got excelent service if I said the same thing at the start of a meal but only so-so if I didn't.

Next I went to florida for a meeting (the last place was seattle) adn the service was Cr@p. It was a bummer having to continuously work out the level of tip. I mean why not pay people wages.

Then a nice USA coleague explained. The restaurants cant afford to have lots of staff on to meet your standards. They also cant aford to make the prices so high or trade will go elsewhere. So the staff work on tips and if they are busy they wait but if thy are quiet they leave. That way there are always servers to meet your demands. It is better than waiting for a dinner.etc etc.

Now I would hate that culture to come into Scotland but the system is so engrained in the US that you just have to go with the flow. Why not turn things on their head and think "WOW, what a terrible culture that they have to rely on tips for a living", put on our smug euro hats and enjoy the holiday.

PS I like Americans and the USA and Scottish service can learn a lot (but please not the tip culture). Happy

Cheers
Bob
snow report
Just a quick point but if, as most people are implying, the tip of 15% is expected and it unfair to the guide if he doesn't recieve it then why is this not added on at the time of payment? Many restaurants and hotels add it on automatically and that way there is no confusion from the start. The client knows exactly what the trip costs and can factor it in from the beginning, the guide get's the tip which I agree he/she deserves, and the company get the business and everyone is happy.

Expecting someone to stump up cash of 15% of such a large amount is unreasonable in my opinion and doing it this way is, in my view, a cop out from the companies as they don't need to take any responsibilty for it being paid. Yes the client should pay it, yes the guide should recieve it but the company who facilitate and provide the service should take the initiative and responsibility to ensure it happens and in a manner which doesn't present such uncomfortable circumstances for the client and guide. However this doesn;t happen and meanwhile the company sits there happily counting their many beans (which are likely to be a lot bigger pile than both the client and guides come the end of the season).

NB
snow report
PJSki wrote:
He shouldn't have fixated on the 1200 figure. The true cost is 1200 plus the tip.

So why don't they just advertise the price including the "tip"?

I expect you'd be a bit annoyed if you were paying for your groceries in Tesco but had to add on an extra 15% to pay the checkout staff.
snow report
RobW wrote:
PJSki wrote:
He shouldn't have fixated on the 1200 figure. The true cost is 1200 plus the tip.

I expect you'd be a bit annoyed if you were paying for your groceries in Tesco but had to add on an extra 15% to pay the checkout staff.

They should. The North American way if stupid.
ski holidays
No-one's answerd the q? Is the company expecting a tip on the whole contract or are the gratuities for the coalface individuals (guide and/or driver). I agree with Nixmap the system is broken and if the business marketing is structured to need a 15% uplift on the price then there is something wrong with it's price model. It's the individuals providing the personal service that get a tip and that should not be 15% of the whole contract price.
ski holidays
nixmap wrote:
Utter nonsense, VAT is optional, in many countries you can claim it back if you are non resident.

RobW wrote:

What's "utter nonsense" is the price not including neither the tax nor the tip. You ARE paying more at check out once the VAT is addd. Why can't the merchands list prices including VAT?

But it seems those who live in country of no tipping culture is saying tipping is making a big fuss about the tip while happily paying their VAT on top of the displayed prices!!!

If you really don't like tips, go skiing in Japan, where the waitress will chase after you to return you tip money!!!

I grow up in a country where there's no tip, nor seperate VAT tax. So if the price of something is x, it's x, not x+8% tax + 15% tips. It does make budgeting a lot easier.

BUT, having adjusted to tax AND tips in N.A., I found the complains here rather tiresome.

What's with all these complain about tips when you're already paying x+y% on much of your purchases? If you can't work out the amount of 15%, ask them to write it down. If you can't afford x+15%, then stay in Europe.
ski holidays
Its a bit like ryanscare and sleasyjet isn't it... headline price 'x', oh but there's non optional extras: total price 'x' plus.

You know its coming, you don't like it, but there's nothing you can do about it, except go elsewhere.

I can't stand the guilt trip they lay on you " oh if you don't tip , the waiter's wage is too low". What load of BS - I don't get a tip if I bring my projects in on time. I don't get a tip if I do WHAT I'M PAID TO DO.
I might get a bonus iof I do exceptionally well. But it sure as hell ain't guaranteed.

Bah humbug.
latest report
A quick glance through this has left me a bit flummoxed. VAT is only "optional" in a few specific instances (when exporting an item direct, and buying from a merchant geared up to it). Try sitting in a restaurant and saying "I'm Swiss, so please knock off the VAT". And it's very rare that displayed prices in ordinary shops don't include VAT.

And how did we get into "taxes versus tips". Many countries - including Canada, which this thread is about, have both.

People vehemently opposed to tipping might like to holiday in the Solomon Islands, where it's contrary to local culture, and discouraged. Snow's rubbish, though.
ski holidays
As has been said by several people, if you go again, having found out what was expected, you know you have to factor in the cost of a 15% tip. It is the first time which gets you angry, when you book and go not knowing this.
I booked a 2 week holiday in Canada and skied 2 days with "Extremely Canadian" and a week with a Heli outfit (I always knew this was likely to be the one time I would do a week of heli, since I can't really afford it). Nothing in their publicity on the web prepared me for the tipping situation and I'm afraid we had to compromise and tip rather low.
It is possible that "tips not included" may have figured somewhere in the publicity, though I didn't notice it. But you might say the same on an alpine guiding website and you wouldn't then imagine a situation different from the one you were used to.
By the way, when I have been with a guided group holiday in the Alps (for example Ski Club of GB holidays) we have almost always bought the guide lunch each day and tipped him at the end. The guide usually had a drink with us after skiing on the last day which was assumed to be the time to give him the money collected from the group. However, being with a random group put together by a Guiding Company there does seem (rightly or wrongly) less of a general inclination in the group to tip as well as give lunch, perhaps because the expectation is that he is on a wage, rather than living off what you pay, and also the basic charge tends to be higher. Or perhaps it is because the paying gets associated with the company and nobody raises the issue within the group because you are a looser association and some people are not used to tipping.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 24-08-09 9:36; edited 6 times in total
snow report
Masque wrote:
I agree with Nixmap

I never thought I'd ever read that Laughing
ski holidays
I'm about to offer a Cat skiing trip.

It costs 1 CAD. Yes, that's right 1 Canadian Dollar. Fantastic value, even with a poor exchange rate. But obviously at this low low price I can only take the first 10 applicants.

Oh - did I mention that booking fee, flights, local travel, transport of equipment, accomodation, linen, towels, bog roll, room service and cleaning, showers, food, water, (and other drinks) specialised gear, local maps, saftey training, cat petrol, cat driver, hire of guide, local and state taxes, and yes, staff tips are specifically not included in this bargain price, and in addition you need to pay 1 cent per vertical metre skied?
(and there's some small print as well...)

But Wow!! Only 1 CAD!!!! How can you not join us?!!!
snow report
abc wrote:
nixmap wrote:

RobW wrote:

What's "utter nonsense" is the price not including neither the tax nor the tip. You ARE paying more at check out once the VAT is addd. Why can't the merchands list prices including VAT?

But it seems those who live in country of no tipping culture is saying tipping is making a big fuss about the tip while happily paying their VAT on top of the displayed prices!!!

Sorry, but you are just showing that you don't know the UK here.

The merchant list prices always show VAT if they are selling to consumers.

They have to, by law.

So nobody happily pays VAT on top of displayed prices.

Quote:

I grow up in a country where there's no tip, nor seperate VAT tax. So if the price of something is x, it's x, not x+8% tax + 15% tips. It does make budgeting a lot easier.

BUT, having adjusted to tax AND tips in N.A., I found the complains here rather tiresome.

The complaints here are from people who still live in a country where if the displayed price is x, then that is what you normally pay. While tips are commonplace in some services, they are always optional, and the "norm" is far lower than the 15% that seems to be expected in the USA.

Quote:

What's with all these complain about tips when you're already paying x+y% on much of your purchases? If you can't work out the amount of 15%, ask them to write it down. If you can't afford x+15%, then stay in Europe.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JimW wrote:
Its a bit like ryanscare and sleasyjet isn't it... headline price 'x', oh but there's non optional extras: total price 'x' plus.

It might be if there were any non optional extras with Ryanair & Easyjet.

But there aren't, so it isn't much like them.

Quote:

You know its coming, you don't like it, but there's nothing you can do about it, except go elsewhere.

I can't stand the guilt trip they lay on you " oh if you don't tip , the waiter's wage is too low". What load of BS - I don't get a tip if I bring my projects in on time. I don't get a tip if I do WHAT I'M PAID TO DO.
I might get a bonus iof I do exceptionally well. But it sure as hell ain't guaranteed.

Bah humbug.

It is the difference between US culture and UK/European culture.

In the USA, it is expected, but people know it is expected, and will factor it in. You find that in the shops, displayed prices there also normally exclude sales taxes, so you also have to factor those in when looking at prices.
snow report
RobW wrote:
PJSki wrote:

No. Because you'd know to expect it. If a pint of milk is £1, and you have to pay 15p to take it out of the store, then you know that you have to save £1.15 to get a pint of milk. Simple.
snow report
I don't know but wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if the ski industry hasn't just jumped on the tipping culture bandwagon. Can someone please tell me whether a ski guide's job (Europe or Nth America) is really so badly paid that they rely on tips to eke out an existence? Are we talking less than the UK minimum wage or something??

If it's really so bad to be a ski guide parlor - "hell on earth"?? - why do it when you could presumably (according to the tales of hardship on here) be earning more in McDonalds AND be getting free food to boot. You're having a laugh surely??

So, where do all of the happy punters who are happy to tip until they have been bled dry draw the line then? Lift operators? Piste basher drivers? Ski patrollers? Ski servicers? Ticket sellers? Avalanche dogs? I somehow can't imagine any of those jobs being paid less than a ski guide. And does a ski guide in (say) France really not earn enough to make ends meet in comparison to the cheery bakery worker who sells me my morning croissant? Maybe I should be tipping her too?

Don't get me wrong, I tip for good service - but don't think that it should ever be viewed as a right. And surely there is a balance to be struck in terms of size of tip? Like Masque, I agree that - unless you have the income of a Russian oligarch - "it's ridiculous to expect a gratuity of 15% on a $1000 contract."
snow report
There are different types of "ski guide"

From the ISM website

"UIAGM / IFMGA Guide Award

The Carnet of the International Federation of Mountain Guides Associations (IFMGA or UIAGM, no difference) is the highest professional award attainable in mountaineering. It is recognised throughout the world, and in alpine countries such as France and Switzerland it is a legal requirement for anyone taking clients into the mountains on or above glacier level, whether climbing or skiing.

To achieve the IFMGA carnet takes tremendous dedication to mountaineering and a high level of skill in all aspects of the sport – rock climbing, ice climbing, alpine climbing and Ski Touring. It also requires a portfolio of climbing experience which takes years to acquire. "

Most European Guides (not instructors )you will hire for a day's offpiste will be UIAGM qualified and AIUI are usually "self employed" through their own business or a co-operative such as a Bureau des Guides. They earn respectable daily rates, but obviously only on days they are working.

A North American Cat or Heli-skiing guide may be UIAGM qualified but may also simply hold less rigourous local snow safety/ lower level guide qualifications e.g. a tail guide with a cat op. Often with the heli ops they seem to be highly experienced ski pros. They are far more likely to be employees and due to the relative desirability of the job compared to say lodge dishwasher may not earn at significantly enhanced premium. They can however make the difference between your very expensive day being ho-hum meadow skipping or the best skiing/boarding of your life or the day you die as they have discretion over where you go. Just as ski instructors, ski patrol & lifties earn less in N America than Europe I would expect them to earn less than a European UIAGM guide.

There is also the TO "ski guide" who is usually a TO resort staff employee who shows punters around the area, not unlike a SCGB rep. They will almost on average be qualified to a lower standard than the above 2 classes and have been the subject of numerous legal fracas in France over the years.
latest report
mountainaddict, yes. Sometimes it's worse.

I always leave my "small" change when buying a croissant, and I often get rewarded with free croissants.

You reap what you sow.
ski holidays
Even though the out-front prices of Sleasyjet and Grymyair are not the full ones you do know the full one before you actually book.
latest report
If you hire a car in US or Canada are you supposed to tip the person at the desk who gives you the keys etc ?
latest report
Bergmeister, It's easy, bank on giving 5%, or perhaps 6 or 7% if it's really exceptional, then you've fulfilled your obligation to leave a tip, and left the guide wondering what he could have done better to achieve the recommended 15% and thereby ensuring that all future clients get a better service.

Simples...

If we all stopped leaving tips, the industry would have to price everything accordingly and pay decent wages and taxes...

snowHead
snow report
The problem is calling it a gratuity. It sounds more like a wage paid by the client directly to the server.
snow report
rayscoops wrote:
If you hire a car in US or Canada are you supposed to tip the person at the desk who gives you the keys etc ?

No but I've seen people tip the shuttle bus driver before now which strikes me as excessive.
snow report
For the sake of argument, a fully qualified UIAGM guide will charge around £300 per day (some a little more, some less, plus you get peak fees in summer but let's keep it simple.) They will be very busy through Feb and March (for skiing) and July and August (for Alpinism); they will have a reasonable amount of work in Jan and April and maybe into May for ski touring. Late May/June will usually be quiet as will mid-Sep to Christmas week.

So, a guide will be doing pretty well if he works much more than 175 days a year. That's about £52.5k turnover so there will be costs to take out of this (eg new kit, insurance etc). This is a physically demanding, dangerous occupation and it takes about 6 years to get fully qualified. Not exactly over-paid IMV
ski holidays
Arno wrote:
For the sake of argument, a fully qualified UIAGM guide will charge around £300 per day (some a little more, some less, plus you get peak fees in summer but let's keep it simple.) They will be very busy through Feb and March (for skiing) and July and August (for Alpinism); they will have a reasonable amount of work in Jan and April and maybe into May for ski touring. Late May/June will usually be quiet as will mid-Sep to Christmas week.

So, a guide will be doing pretty well if he works much more than 175 days a year. That's about £52.5k turnover so there will be costs to take out of this (eg new kit, insurance etc). This is a physically demanding, dangerous occupation and it takes about 6 years to get fully qualified. Not exactly over-paid IMV

Accepting what you say and running with your assumptions, IMV that is a good take for someone essentially self employed and certainly beyond the point at which you'd be expecting to tip someone to the extent of the OP's experience! (Speaking as a reluctant tipper anyway Sad )
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy