Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Montafon Valley?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have bought some flights to Friedrrichshafen for my family in January and after scouring the nearest resorts to the airport I have discovered this charming looking valley. Has anyone ever spent any time there? I am thinking of basing ourselves in Gallenkirch or Gaschurn.
It looks ideal for our needs and with my fiscal planning up the spout initial research leads me to think it will be considerably cheaper than last years jaunt in St Anton Very Happy .

All comments would be welcome.

Greg
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We did a couple of days in the Montafon Valley this March. very enjoyable, I'd like to go back one day.

Blog report and pics at:

http://gortonator.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!AF2DD3CC35CC7ADF!2321.entry
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have been to the Montafon a few times the last about 10 years ago. Its great, the largest town is Shruns, but dont expect much in the way of nightlife. The skiing is really good, with 4 large distinct areas, all covered by the one pass. I would recommended it highly. A car would be handy but not essential.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
northantsred, It is supposed to be very good but not been. Think a few other SH's have been and can comment more on. I took family to Stuben this year and thought it was a great base for the Arlberg region plus it was roughly half the price of Oberlech and much cheaper than St Anton
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Keep it quiet wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I went there last year. In terms of charm, the valley is a bit of a mixed bag. Schruns, where I stayed, is (IMO) a very pretty large village that makes a good base for the valley, as direct buses go to all of the ski areas from here. Silbertal and Gargellen are also very pretty, but much smaller. On the other hand St Gallenkirch, Gaschurn and Tschagguns are somewhat less attractive, sprawling villages. However when I went there was no snow in the valley, and a sprinkling of that might change things. In general, the valley has a bit of a 'working' feel to it, rather than chocolate box. Amazing scenery though. I don't think I heard English spoken all week. It seems to get a lot of German visitors. Make sure you don't go during the German school holidays, as I did, in mid march 08. It was pretty crowded.

I felt that the runs are undergraded, and that a lot of the blues where rather tricky and narrow. That would be my concern if taking a family, especially if one of the group is very nervous. I was a bit angered by this - they seem to be trying to market themselves as a family area by grading everything blue, and had I brought my very nervous partner we wouldn't have been able to ski much. There are some great cruisy blues at the top of Schruns, if that's your thing. However getting down from these involves a tricky blue. Golm is excellent for fast cruising, and I was surprised to find that was my favourite area, certainly more varied than the piste map would suggest. I can't really comment on the large area (Silvretta something) above St Gallenkirch, as there was zero visibility on the day I went, and I was never going to enjoy it in those conditions!

Cheers, Liam
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Draybs74, gortonator, thanks for the input. It is a long way off before we go(mid-Jan) so I won't be rushing into anything right now. I have just recieved a brochure from the tourism agency and at first glance the accommodation looks varied and inexpensive with lots of hotels offering 7 nights for the price of 5 for the week we are heading out, same deal on lift passes too if i am interpreting correctly!!
Promising.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Been there 5 times in the last few years, am still finding new stuff to do. Travelled by train each time from Friedrichshafen, good service and quite reasonable. Watch out though, the train terminates at Schruns.
I've posted here before about Montafon, I'll look for the threads and provide a link.
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1136004&highlight=montafon#1136004
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
loobylou, thanks. Looks like i have a plan hatching....didn't consider the train. Would that be cheaper than car hire considering that there are 4 of us?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
German Rail has dozens of different fares/zones/tariffs etc. In January I paid €150 for the return trip, 2 adults and 3 teenagers, (some of whom counted as adults but I can't remember at what age). In fact I think that fare was a special deal for up to 6 people.
I have also got deals before from German Rail where all children travelled free, simply because we were crossing a border. Not even the Germans can understand how their fare structure works.
The station is directly across the road from the airport, less then 100metres. The trip involves about 3 changes, but is all very efficient and easy to understand. It might be easier for you to buy the tickets in advance, DB have an office in London. I say this because the station at the airport does not have a manned ticket office, just a machine. This does not give you the option of buying the longer distance tickets to Schruns, instead you either buy a ticket into Friedrichshafen main station and buy your ticket at the office there or go through a somewhat complicated system of buying a €10 credit ticket for each traveller and redeeming their value against the cost of the full ticket to Schruns. If you don't speak/read German I'd avoid that option.
Once up in Montafon a car would not be necessary. There is a reasonably good bus service between theresorts/ski areas and your liftpass also covers the train back down the valley to Bludenz.
I got that deal last year, (7 for 5), it's just as it says, including the liftpass. Makes a big diference when budgeting for a family.
Ian
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just thought I'd add to this - although Friedrichshafen is probably closest, you could fly to Zurich if you want to avoid Ryanair, I did this about 5 yrs ago to Gaschurn.
I seem to remember it's an easy trip by rail (got the hotel to pick us up from the station).
I really liked the place and thought it looked quite charming. Mind you the 1 metre plus of fresh snow in the village probably helped.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy