Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which is the widest male ski boot 09/10?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Appreciate any advice on the forthcoming seasons boots. Tried Salomon Falcon CS last season but only lasted a couple of hours before serious pain set in. Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Urqcastle, AFAIR, that boot has the Custom shell, so your fitter could have made any mods like stretching. I would expect to spend a lot longer than a couple of hours bedding in a ski boot. I think the Falcon CS is a 98mm wide last, so quite narrow. Hopefully CEM will be along soon to point you in the right direction.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Atomic B120 do it for me. Tried loads of boots, very comfortable after being stretched
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
widest boot with any level of performance would be the head Vector range 103mm in size 26/26.5 wider than that you have the Atomic B tech range and ther Head Edge both at 104mm although the latter is not a real high performer....there are a few wider buckets available but they are all pretty low spec

the most important thing is that someone actually measures your feet, and looks at the shape of boot which will work best for you, was this done with the falcon??..it is as snowbunny says a 98mm last but the Custom Shell element allows it to expand out a little (any boot can be expanded if it is a reasonable shape to begin with) ...it may be that the biomechanics of your foot is making your foot "function " as though it is wider than it really is.... going up in size is not the direction to take and it seems to be a direction that many places do take....you need to forget about the brand the colour and the number printed on the box and work with a good fitter
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was in Jackson, New Hampshire on holiday recently. I went to a ski shop there and bought a new pair of boots. I have wide feet, high instep and large calfs. I ended up buying a pair of Tecnica Vento 70 HVL. The HVL is the high volume version. They have a 106 mm last. They are for intermediate skiers. Have not used them in anger yet, wore them around the house and feel good so far.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thankssnowbunny, I did two hours on half hour off for the first week, took my old boots as back up for second week and wore them after the first day, week three same as week one. Ellis Brigham have offered me a swap for 09/10 boots. CEM, I am size 29.0 and strong intermediate so B Tech or Vectors? and yes I will use a better fitter this time, you have been recommended to me by a friend, so will be in touch in the future. Cheers
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Urqcastle, as to B tech or vector...depends very much on foot shape, the Vector has a rounder more voluminous mid foot than the B tech and the toe box shape is vastly different between the 2...size 29.0....ok what size shoe do you buy...i am hoping you are going to say 11.5-12.5 UK or somewhere in that bracket.....a word of caution about the sizes of both the boots mentioned the B tech size splits 0.5 early so 28.5 and 29.0 are the same as a 29.0/29.5 in most lines if you need a 28 shell then it has to be the 28.0 or 27.5..... the vector is very big to size also, i routinely have a 28/28.5 shell or have to do major (and i mean MAJOR) amounts of boot work to squeeze into a 27.5 shell...... in the vector i can put a 27.5 on and ski it straight out the box with no pain, in a 27.5 it is 4mm longer than the raptor shell.... the only way to check them is to shell check the foot in the empty shell

one thing that puzzles me is considering the retailer used i am guessing that they suggested the boot for you rather than you just saying can i try that one....on that basis there may be something else going on (as i suggested in the first post) with the biomechanics of the foot...in which case just going to a wider boot will make things worse rather than better

good luck with the quest
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
CEM, Yes I am UK 12. I tried everything in Brigham, just before Xmas, so the whole range was available. The fitter was a young guy, but seemed to know his stuff. My view differed at 11am on day one in Italy! Can you source the above mentioned boots for me? If so I can use my Brigham credit note to get some boots for my wife and pay you a visit.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
within the next 3 weeks i should have the B120 an the vector 100 in stock, vector 100 definately up to 29, B tech only up to 28 but if it were to prove a better shape than anything else we carry i would gladly get a pair in
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Urqcastle, I think your best bet is to go and see CEM without any brands or whatever in mind at all like he has suggested, let him measure you and do the bits he does, and then see what boot(s) he comes up with, and then like he says he could then get those other boots if he needs to. As for your credit note with Ellis Brigham, my advice would be to use it on something else in their shop like a jacket or something instead of buying some boots for your wife from them, and let CEM do your wife's boots as well if at all possible financially, I know that's extra expense in a way but otherwise you could end up with the same problem (i.e. they don't fit!) with her boots come next season if they're not right from the off.

Interestingly enough, you have asked for the widest boot for males and had trouble with the Falcon CS that you got from EB, I'm not surprised you had trouble with them because they are (one of ) the boots I was prescribed but mine are the women's version and my feet are quite narrow. I think they (the Custom/Falcon) are quite a narrow last although they can be expanded, but they are quite narrow to start with I mean like snowbunny and CEM have said.

The fact that you say you tried every boot in Brighams suggests to me that the chap didn't really know what he was doing, because having had experience of a "proper" boot fitting after my feet were measured and examined etc the fitter came out with 2 boots that he deemed were suitable, they were the same brand and the same last as far as I know too, but slightly different stiffness. My understanding of a proper fitting prior to that was that that was how it should be i.e. the fitter should know which boots to go and get and it shouldn't matter what colour or make they are. Anyway so I went on his advice and I haven't had any trouble with my boots at all from day one of using them, I haven't even had to go back for tweaks but perhaps I'm lucky in that respect. So needless to say I am very pleased.

CEM, based on what I've said above does that sound right to you? Would you normally come out with one or two boots yourself that should be suitable or does it depend?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
VolklAttivaS5, depends on the foot, but start with 1 and then resort to the back up if that fails, occassionally i may have to get a 3rd pair but rarely, putting the foot in the empty shell can show if you are out on a lot of things not just length, heel with, overall volume width etc etc
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Urqcastle

I've always had trouble with ski boots - big calves, slim ankles and wide feet - but I bought some Dalbello Proton 12s last year and they are the comfiest boots I've ever skied. Got them from Profeet in Putney, London and had them make custom footbeds and they even managed to get me into a 0.5 MP less than I've been skiing for 20 odd years, so they fit like gloves, are super responsive and I don't even have to think about undoing them to give my feet a rest even skiing first to last.

Had a quick look at the Dalbello site and seems they're only doing them with a 110 flex this year, but you might want to check them out anyway.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
oz5000, Great, let's all buy a pair!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy