Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski purchase predicament.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am relatively new to skiing but am progressing quite fast and have only been using hire skis. I think the time has come to buy some skis as long term it will save me a fortune. I've been doing my research and I'm finding it tough to find a ski that ticks all the boxes. I'm not really a park monkey, but dabble and would like twin tips to keep my options open, but i also enjoy racking up the miles on the piste. I'm keen to move off piste properly too, but haven't had a ski so far that gives me enough float. I'm 5'10" and weigh about 12 stone and am a university student, so as you can imagine, the budget is tight! Sad i can realistically spend up to £300 for skis and bindings. Any ideas? I'm gonna go to the ski show at Olympia in october. is that gonna be the best place to find something? Any recommendations? Thanks.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowHead .

Ski show not a place to find things cheap IMV.
You coud try going into your local ski shop and asking if they have anything from last year. Trawl a few places online for something about 175 long, 80 underfoot.
ebay? Rossi Bandits or similar may fit the bill.
Or, you may be lucky and find you are offered something decent second-hand here.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welcome to snowHead

Have you thought about a set of Scott Patrols?!

See buy/sell Wink

Cheers. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
this could be a good deal for you http://edge2edgeshop.co.uk/product/3645/ExHire_Scott_Punisher_Ski_wS10_0809 although I'd want a good look at them before buying them. If you look around on the internet there are a fair few of last years skis going for around £180 and then buy the bindings seperatley.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
beequin wrote:
.....Ski show not a place to find things cheap IMV......

I'd disagree.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
spyderjon, So would I - there were some real good deals with S&R at the London Ski show last year.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Do you have your own boots - if not then its worth getting a properly fitted pair before buying skis, given your location then soutions4feet in bicester would be a good place to go! Could be an xmas present or similar if you are a student.

ok so you still have to pony up for hire skis but you'll be sure your boots fit properly and then not have to worry about waxing/edging or carriage charges when going to the snow..
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
seanberesford, as bertie says, boots should be your first priority.

Even if you have boots already, I'd personally question whether buying skis is going to be a cost saving for you...don't forget to factor in ski carriage (getting more and more expensive) if you're flying, and servicing (often needs to be done after each week fo skiing), and the hassle factor with carrying your own kit. I bought some skis a few seasons ago because after several years of renting I'd got to the stage where I knew what I wanted and it was frustrating that hire shops often didn't have them in...not convinced I've saved much money over all.

On the other hand, skis are shiny things and therefore more is better Cool Given your budget, check out any second-hand stuff around (think there were a pair of Armada ARVs on here recently), or if you want new then do a search for Scott Punishers.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy