Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Club / Group organiser's database

Poster: A snowHead
Not really "Apre Ski", more like "Avant Ski", so put it here. Hope thats OK

Hi

Do you or have you ever run a trip for a group - then I need your help.

My mate (who is on on here under a very strange name ?) runs a small ski club for his work and at the moment he uses excel spreadsheets and a million bits of paper to keep track of all the “stuff”. Excel is OK for number crunching but sod all else so he asked me to create a small database for him.

As I couldn’t find anything on Google I made him one from scratch and then expanded it. It will take any number of skiers and any number of trips (within reason – about 200,000 skiers)

I need some help.

Like everything else you make yourself you check it and check it again and even then you can miss obvious errors. I have also never organised a small group to go skiing so don’t really now what they are looking for and my mate is no use as he just keeps saying to make it work and that’s all.

So, if you have a spare 10 mins please could you download the database and see if you can find anything that either does not work or you think could be done better.

You will need
• Windows XP - I will create a Vista or Windows 7 version shortly
• Microsoft Office with Access and Word
• You may have Outlook (although I have coded the e mail modules to work on your default E ail service) so this is not really required.

Download it from
http://www.folgarida.co.uk/database/

After any problems have been ironed out it will be available as a free download from the same place.
Which may be of use to some of the snowHead 's on here

ABSOLUTE AND TOTAL GUARANTEE
Unlike most “stuff” containing code that you can download from the web this is different in one major sense – my name and (office) address and telephone number are freely available.
This database was created by me. I designed and wrote the code. I can personally guarantee that there are no malicious codes or viruses contained within any of the modules. There are over 2,500 lines of code and every single one of them has been prepared by me and checked in house for anything that may cause your computer harm.

Cheers for the help if you have time.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 20-08-09 10:05; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not very helpful at this stage I know - but Excel is great for everything! Why just number-crunching?? You can export data from Excel into letters, reports, lists, whatever - easy-peasy.

Sorry don't have XP here so can't actually test it....
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
cathy,
No Worries thanks for getting back. I am working on the vista copy at the mo - the sql for the combo's cant be transfered over direct - one day mr Gates will sort him self out ? Even though the adverts tell you it works - it don't.

I have created some quite complex excel sheets for some things but the main problem here is that excel is not relational.

It would be fine to run one or even a couple of trips but imagine that you have a ski group/club and run 1 or 2 trips a year. Some people will go on some trips and some won't. Some people will want different "stuff" (ski school hire, single rooms, insurance, transfers) on some trips and not on others - excel "could" just about cope with this with a lot of work - but why make it difficult when you can just create a relational database that will very simply cope with any number of variances within a ski group.

Can't see how excel could cope though with different members of the same group traveling to a resort from different airport that may include a different number of flights
eg
London to Geneva for 10 people
Glasgow to London to Geneva for 6 people
then on the way back 4 people want to travel back to Birmingham and the rest want to spend an extra day in Geneva.
Now mix all that in with the same people wanting to share a room with people on different flights and you see what I mean
A relational database will cope with this very simply

No worries though. As I said I will make it a free download in a week or so. May be some use to some people

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 19-08-09 15:32; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
so what does it actually do???
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kitenski wrote:
so what does it actually do???

Basically it takes away all my mate's bits of paper
and e mails, prints, etc reports about flights, hotels, money, ski school, etc
plus doing the excel number crunching stuff
Translates (into italian only at the mo) the stuff you hand in when you buy your lift passes
etc

It's only a small DB for my mate but it may be some use to anyone who does the same sort of thing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Wayne, I'll have a look when I get some time - the combinations that you suggest are tricky in excel, have always been part of the fun (!) of organising other people's skiing holidays, but with more than 4 or 5 I agree it starts to get quite complex.

The module I'm most looking forward to seeing is where everyone contributes to the food kitty, except someone has to do it in Sterling because they haven't bought any euros with them, and someone else only has a credit card so offers to fund the first supermarket trip, so puts a receipt in, except there's bits on it which aren't to do with the 'shared thing', and someone has bought extra breakfasts at the airport on the way out for everyone (but not the guy who did buy his own diet coke, but wasn't part of the round of lagers at 8:30 in the morning - but did buy the duty free gin you are all going to enjoy later) , and then one person has put his hand in his pocket for the taxifare up the mountain, while someone else IS part of the beer money whip, but didn't arrive until two days after the main group, and then there was a "guided" day which some but not all people went on, but which somehow was paid for by the kitty...

and then they expect YOU to work out the amount owed to each, by each at the end of the week... What a module that would be!!

(And just then, some smartalec, who's been poncing off everyone else airly says "oh just divide it out, these things even out over the course of the week... and you know damn well they wouldn't be saying it if they thought that was true. There's always one isn't there? But I digress).
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think it is best not to organise ski holidays!

Say where/when you are going then every man for himself

this works well for us
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
JimW, Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley

Version 1.4 now available

Alterations in Version 1.4
(Following back from 7 people)
I have added a button to enable a user to filter the flights list.
If you want to book a group member onto a flight you select the flight from a list. But, assuming that you have run lots of trips, over the years then this list could become quite large showing many, many flights.
You can now filter the drop down list to show only those flights that depart and return on the 1st and last date of the ski trip.
Plus I have filtered the main (show all flights) list to only show those that are available to book, i.e.. a future date.
------------------------------------------
I have to do this in my spare time (I have to work sometimes?) so it takes a while to look at and (if nes) make the amendments that are suggested.

But, to answer the most common question asked on the feedback form -
Yes it will be a "totally free" download to people who are running not for profit ski trips/groups

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 20-08-09 12:27; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
JimW, been there done that as well,
once someone made a comment that maybe we should run a spreadsheet and settle up at the end of the week, the accountant in our group volunteered Shocked

Fortunately his better half reminded him he was on holiday Very Happy Laughing Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
That wouldn't work for me, edsilva. There are many resorts where a taxi is the best transfer and a shared taxi is much cheaper - and this requires that people arrive on the same flight. Also I often aim to ski the last day and take a late flight which requires tight planning. Besides which it is much nicer (and less hassle) to travel as a group - especially if a train and couchette are involved. Also on the 2 or 3 off-piste holidays I organize each year for my friends, people share rooms and I often need to negotiate extra (or fewer) days than the usual Sat - Sat. Finally I have to book the guide for the group (often the best guides are booked up for most of the next season by now).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Boredsurfing wrote:
JimW, been there done that as well,
once someone made a comment that maybe we should run a spreadsheet and settle up at the end of the week, the accountant in our group volunteered Shocked

Fortunately his better half reminded him he was on holiday Very Happy Laughing Very Happy

tell me about it!! Last trip I paid for accom and hire car, JT paid for lift passes, Jed bought skis and skins for 3 folk, various shopping trips and duty free to be factored in, meant the flight home was spent over an Excel spreadsheet!! Still passed the time Smile

Does your dbase help with this kind of factoring Wayne??

Cheers,

greg
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kitenski wrote:
Does your dbase help with this kind of factoring Wayne??

No Very Happy
If I have time I will work on a module to run a robot to give certain members of the group a big slap.
Of course this would need to be on a password protected form or there may be a few problems after a night out in a bar ?

I did look at including a "costs" page to work out who owed what but it would "never" (ever) work. Ski trip costs are so mad and with so many daft variables
john can't pay for that as he is a bit skint,
sally is a vegetarian and won't pay for the beef in the fridge,
jack wants to pay by credit card but wants to add in the card charges
Jim says he only had 3 potatoes so (as jack had 4) he wants a discount for the meal
sally want to only pay for half of the days guiding as she doesn't like off-piste and that what they are doing in the afternoon

aaaaarrrrggggghhhhhhh
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Version 1.5 available

http://www.folgarida.co.uk/database/

Sorry can't do any more changes today - got to go to work this afternoon

Alterations in Version 1.5
On the Lift Pass Photos page (thanks to 3 people for pointing this out BTW)
In previous versions, if the Photo was correctly linked then a message was displayed tell you of this.
But, in certain circumstances, such as if a photo was incorrectly numbered and (not much chance but it could happen) the number you gave the picture just happened to be that of someone who was already a member, then you would get the message to say that everything was OK – even if it wasn’t.
I have changed the form so that when you click the Link Photos Button, the picture of that person displays for 2 seconds so you'll be able to see if there are any problems.
Of course the message telling you if the picture does not exist is still there – just in case.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ah - I see what you mean Wayne about why a database would be better than Excel!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thought I would answer here as few people didn't give return e mails on the form.

The most called for thing that's not in the database (yet, as I didn't think of it) is a kitty (or Kitty's / Kitties / what is the plural ??)

OK, am working on it. But, as I can only do this in my spare time may take a few days.
If it was simply Person A has paid in £### and Person B has paid in £### and Person C etc etc it would be dead easy Confused
But
Trying to get it to cope with payments in different currencies and (even harder) trying to get it to cope with definite amounts (eg The cost to ski guiding is €### and these people have paid £### or €###) and non definite amounts (eg The total in the kitty is £### or €### - or a mixture of both - and we have spent ### at the shops so want to transfer the rest to the Pub Kitty) etc etc etc is slightly problematical.
Plus
Each trip needs to have the ability to create numerous Kittys. Eg. Pub Kitty, Food Kitty, Tips Kitty, Transfer Kitty, etc. and be able to take in / spend money in lots of currencies (someone "will" turn up in france on day with swiss francs from their last trip Mad )

I have the basic codes sorted, but as now just trying to make it very simple to use. wink

It's getting there, slowly.
Have created it to deal with cash only as credit/debt card fees are a nightmare and don't have the time to sort this

So, 1.6 will be ready soon

Cheers for all the feedback
latest report
I have uploaded a full working copy of the ski group organiser’s database. You can download it and use it if you want.
It will take as many group members as you like
Some (or all) of the members can go on a many different ski trips as you like
To loads of hotels in loads of resorts, etc
On each trip member may have different facilities (ski hire, school, etc) but the basics for each member only need inputtng once (saves time)
Members may fly from any number of airports (you input the airports you’re using) to any other airport
The kitty can take inputs in any currency (I have started the list off off with Pounds, Euros, US Dollars, Swiss Francs, New Zealand Dollars). There can be many different kitties on each trip and payment can be made into and out of any and the balance transferred to other kitties.
Etc
Etc
Etc
Oh and some of the reports will print in Italian and English (sorry but can't speak French - you'll be able to alter it if you want)

But don’t forget this is only me messing about making a database as my mate kept messing up the zillions of bits of paper he collected for each trip he organised. If you want to change it any way you think would improve it – feel free.

I may get round to creating an update one day but am bored with codes now so off to watch Inglorious Bastereds

Download from here http://www.folgarida.co.uk/database/

One point (got lot of feed back saying it didn't work) - if you download it you need to Save it to you hard drive (my Documents) or it will be read only and you will nt be able to use it.
ski holidays
Hi all just joined very interested in the organiser database the link http://www.folgarida.co.uk/database/ seems to be broken any other place to download the database? Puzzled
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy