Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ischgl / Ski School / Am I going to be sorry?????

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello all.....

Well, we have booked our week holiday to Ischgl, and I am now second guessing myself!

We are traveling with our 5 yr old daughter - who will attend ski school....anyone have any thoughts about their kids program - good/bad/indifferent??? I would prefer English speaking, however she can work with German.

My husband chose Ischgl, as he is from Austria (living in US now) and wanted to ski somewhere he hadn't already been - so Ischgl it is. We love to kick back a few cocktails/beers, just like the rest, however with our kid in tow, that is not the priority wink . Please tell me that it will be all right - and that she isn't going to be plowed over by some hammered fool on the slopes. She has skied in Utah before, however I know what it can be like over there, as I was one of those idiots at one time !!! I guess I am looking for someone just to tell me it's going to be all right LOL.

Hey, anyone ever stay at Hotel Arnika??

Thanks all - love the forums!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I saw loads of kids in Ischgl. Never needed the ski school though. Lots of partying in town, the bars always seemed packed, altohugh with a 5 year old that won't be of great interest
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welcome to Snowheads

I'm sure it''ll be fine - Austrian schools in the bigger resorts are normally pretty proficient at teaching in English, as it is what a number of their Russian clients speak wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Didn't use the ski school but I wouldn't worry about drunken skiers or crowded slopes. The slopes kids are likely to go near tend to be superwide motorways and the drinking mainly begins in town at 4pm, rather than halfway down the slope at 3pm and then skiing down as happens in loads of other places.

One thing worth knowing, its potentially a pretty cold resort by European standards, I guess thats probably not an issue compared to the Rockies though.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ranchogal, I'm booking Kappl just down the road from Ischgl - more family orientated. Ive not been to Ischgl so can't really comment on it's good or bad points but since it is regularly compared to St Anton (where I've been to about 6 times) I'm guessing that it's not the best place for a kid of 5 - as I said I'm only going on what Ive heard. My kids are 5 9 and 12 and would not take them to St Anton (in case they like it too much wink ) but have opted for Oberlech and Stuben in the past which are more family orientated places but you can still link into the great skiing on offer but without the numbers. We have skied with the kids to St Anton so that I can get my Mooserwirt fix and they've been fine with it, so I'm sure Ischgl would be a good place to go, as lets face it the kids absolutely love skiing anyway
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Been to both Lech and Ischgl but not St Anton. The skiing in Ischgl is all pretty easy, long motorways, probably easier than Oberlech to be honest. Took a beginner with 3 days experience and he was able to go anywhere after the 3 day weekend.

The town is obviously oriented towards getting hammered but its a pretty nice place itself so I'm sure there are plenty of things to keep 5 year olds amused.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I suspect you'll love it - we spent a week there and there were plenty of kids on slopes and in restaurants.

The skiing is pretty darn fine. Trails are pretty varied and some great long cruisers. There's easily accessible ski routes and off-piste absolutely everywhere, so its not difficult to find steeps and the pow doesn't exactly get tracked out quickly. There's more lifts lines on sunny days than powder days (and you never wait long - great lift system).

We also had great snow. Might even head back for a week this year.

Some reports on my blog with pics linked:

http://gortonator.spaces.live.com/?_c11_BlogPart_BlogPart=blogview&_c=BlogPart&partqs=amonth%3d3%26ayear%3d2008

and even a video (with music removed coz i seem to have broken copyright - must fix that!)

http://www.youtube.com/user/gortonatore#play/uploads/10/G7qS64F53MU
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks everyone!!!

Gortonator - loved the blog....????? what is the white pant brigade??? LOL
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ranchogal, you'll know what the white pants brigade is when you get to Ischgl, believe me Smile (for Euro-skiers out there, white ski pants are somewhat rare in north america!)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ranchogal, Welcome to Snowheads. snowHead I've not been to Ischgl (yet) - will be visiting it for the first time this Christmas. With respect to Gortonator's comment on the white pant brigade, I guess he was referring to those people who ski in old 1980s style one piece skisuits (often they are in garish colours), on Snowheads these skisuits are sometimes referred to as fartbags! Shocked Smile . In fact, on some of our Snowheads get-togethers on the snow, known as bashes, there's been a fartbag day when people have worn the most garish ones they can find eg this Laughing

gortonator, I also liked your blog. Was amused to see your testimony on day 42 to the energy restoring properties of the mighty germknödel! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Fartbags...good god !!! Laughing
Yeah, I had seen a few garish snowsuits when we were in Val Gardena a few years back! Now my curiosity has peaked about the white ski pants. I am exicted overall....definitely looking forward to getting away.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Alastair Pink, germknoedel is the finest thing ever invented.

Actually, these are stylish and expensive white ski pants that seem to be worn by about 50% of Ischgl ski women, and a a surprising percentage of men. Not disimilar in Lech either. Often accompanied by a tight fitting ski jacket with furry appendages and fancy adornments. Fashion is quite a sight.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy