Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Schladming in March?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We've got Schladming on our shortlist for a weeks trip, probably the first or second week in March. Given the relatively low resort height, are we risking it a bit at that time of year? Anyone been out there around then?

Also hotel recommendations would be appreciated (less than £100 a night, quiet location, near lifts ideally!), and any other useful info come to that Very Happy

Cheers!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We stayed in Radstadt 2nd week in March last year and had a lovely day in the Schladming area of Ski Amade. We had 5 days skiing and it shedded down with snow every day. We were sick of the bloody stuff!!
Some afternoons it got a bit sticky lower down but was always superb from mid station up over. the next day a foot of freesh had usually fallen!
For a real laugh ski hard in bad light on deep snow and then try the world cup slalom run back down to village level at 4.30 on a warm afternoon Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Last March had 2 weeks of the glorious powder whilst based in schladming See postings from march with lots of photos

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=42183&start=480#1189860

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=42183&start=520#1194763

From April doing a ski tour up on the Dachstein, near schladming
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=42183&start=520#1194763
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
ajpaul, Schladming has a pretty good record for such a low resort, the slopes are mainly north facing so hold the snow pretty well, in fact the lower slopes can be a bit icy in the morning. There are a few knowledgeable peeps who live in or near Schldadming who will no doubt provide more info. We stayed in a Pension which was very cheap but good, about 10 mins walk from the Planai gondola where you can leave your skis and boots. Think it was called Talbach, basic but reasonable size rooms and good if you want to go on a budget.

Would definitely recommend Schladming, we liked the treeline skiing over the different mountains and the Dachstein glacier is worth a trip, for the views and perfect snow, also be a good option if the weather was a bit too warm in the valley. The local beer was pretty good too I remember Smile

Edit: more knowledgeable Waynos popped up whilst I was writing this post!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We have been in March half a dozen times and had great snow. The slopes are mainly north facing and so hold the snow well, and they have one of the most impressive snow making operations I have ever seen. They prep the slopes well, and even in 2007, an epic year for bad snow year across the alps, all the valley level links were open (although bashed to within an inch of their lives!).

Add to that there is lots of skiing above the mid stations, so even in a poor snow year, it's a pretty safe bet. Add to that again that the liftpass includes the Dachstein glacier, and the Amade pass includes Zauchensee (train & bus away), then really it's an excellent choice.

I really rate Schladming for lots of reasons. I did a review on here so have a look at the top of the board for it in the reviews thread. There are a number of excellent hotels. Years ago we stayed at the Alte Post on the main square, but I don't know what it's like now. There are really a lot of options though, so hopefully someone will be along to recommend specific ones!

As a general comment, I firmly believe that March is pretty much mid-season for most resorts, but weirdly a lot of people seem to see it as late season. Late season is April and May!

D
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Deliaskis wrote:

As a general comment, I firmly believe that March is pretty much mid-season for most resorts, but weirdly a lot of people seem to see it as late season. Late season is April and May!

First couple of weeks in March, definitely mid-season.

Last week, possibly getting on for late-season. Certainly lower areas will get slushy on sunny afternoons by the last week.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
First or second week in March will be no problem in Schladming. Have skiied in Amade region in April for the last two years, so can't see you having any issues.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the advice folks. I feel a booking coming on Very Happy Any hotel recommendations from those in the know?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy