Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What do you need to know about Roman Abramovich's ski instructor?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Courchevel is known for its high-flying Russian clientele and stratospheric prices, but not much of the inside story has been written yet. One day the full account of this little Russian invasion will make gripping reading.

In the meantime, here's an entertaining article on the elevated world that is Courchevel, by Brian Viner in today's Independent. He cruised the slopes with the personal ski instructor of Roman Abramovich, owner of Chelsea Football Club - something that could make useful dinner party conversation!

Any reflections from Courchevel afficionados?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's a silly little fluff piece which I think doesn't deserve to be in the Indpendent's ski section. The article reads like the justification for the journalist having accepted a freebie at an expensive hotel. Doesn't tell you anything about skiing, Courchevel or even Abramovich. The only thing I learned about the Byblos was that the boot room comes with valets and warm slippers - which, if anything, has put me off the place (not that I would ever have stayed there).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes, but does Courchevel deserve a serious ski appraisal? The place has become a joke, hasn't it?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Courchevel a joke? In what sense?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Courchevel has some of the best skiing in the alps. I must admit to having stayed at the Byblos once, terrific place.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I was there a couple of weeks ago ( Courchevel - not the Byblos ! ) and I would say that it has definitely not become a joke - IMHO it is the better valley of the three in terms of pistes / connections / snow. I just wish I didn't have to take so many picnics, it is becoming very expensive !!!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
That's what I meant. A joke that even Swiss bankers wouldn't laugh at.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I had some lessons in Courchevel in January with Thierry from ESF 1650, and he was telling me about some of his clients. He said that he found it very strange when he was hired by an Arab (I presume he meant a monied person from Saudi or the other Gulf states), who brought his family and Security guard on the lessons! Unfortunatley, the security guard was not at the same level of skiing (maybe even a beginner) and the poor soul had to struggle and risk life and limb accompanying his employer on the various runs.

I read about the ski valet at the Byblos in one of the Courchevel glossies.....if you need to be pampered like that, how on earth do you mange to muster the energy or grit to ski on a cold mountain - and let's face it, would you fancy walking around in tartan slippers with a little red bobble on the toes wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sorry David, thought you were dissing one of my favourite resorts. Although I should start getting upset as I won't be able to afford to go there much longer !
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
It doesn't have to cost a fortune to ski in Courchevel. There are several moderately priced chalet/hotels in the centre of 1850, lunch doesn't have to cost a king's ransom and having a few drinks in the evening doesn't need to cost much more than you pay for back home.

Of course, if you want to blow your inheritance on a couple of week's luxury in the mountains then I can't think of a better place to do that. However, even those on a budget can happily ski Courchevel (I should know, it's what I've done for the past 10 years).
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Last stayed in Courchevel 1850 in January 2003. I remember 3 things cyrillic :-

1. It was the first time I had ever seen a Russian numberplate (now commonplace I guess)

2. It was the first time I had seen a white artic foxfur hat on a godess (with matching ankle-length white, artic foxfur coat)

3. It was the first time I was eyeballed by a russian bodyguard. I will never look at a russian godess again.

I was on a gondola sitting directly oposite said godess who was flanked by wardrobe one and wardrobe two. I did'nt fancy looking at the wardrobes and the plastic glass walls were steamed up (can't think why). So I looked at the godess. Who bored deep into my eyes. So I looked at wardrobe 2. Who bored into my eyes the words "I am going to KILL you. I just haven't made up my mind when". At that moment I decided to leave the Gondola. He MEANT it.

But I am still here so clearly I gave them the slip. But I keep looking over my sholder 'cause you never kn............ Skullie Skullie Skullie Skullie Skullie
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Having read the article I think it was actually mean't for Hello magazine!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
B00thy, Laughing quality story
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy