Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Helmets in Hand Luggage

Poster: A snowHead
I used my helmet for skiing this year for the first time and it was great - now wouldn't ski without it. I packed it in my hand luggage (rucksack), packing socks, gloves etc inside and underneath it, and had room for the rest of my hand luggage requirements (valuables, travel documents etc) easily too. Have now replaced the rucksack making sure I chose one which was within standard hand luggage restrictions hoping it would be OK. We will be flying with Thomas Cook and I have just heard that their hand luggage sizes are a lot smaller! Does anyone have experience of that? If I have to use a smaller bag it will be a 15 litre rucksack which actually is about 2cm wider than the max is meant to be, and I can only just fit the helmet in - not sure about the travel documents too!! The alternative is to pack the helmet in the suitcase, but there won't be much room for it and also I'd prefer to keep it with me and know that it's not getting knocked about somewhere. If anyone has any advice about packing the helmet or knowledge of Thomas Cook's smaller hand luggage restrictions I'd appreciate it. The next trip isn't until January, but I'm thinking of buying some ski boots so need to be sensible about what gets packed, and where - and the weight restriction overall too! Thanks. Confused
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't really see reason why to pack helmets in hand luggage, but of course that's just my personal view. But even then, if your backpack won't go through, you can always take helmet out and for that minute, when person on check-in will be bugging you with 2cm too big pack, you keep helmet on head. I'm sure there's no rules about not carrying helmets on head when boarding. Half of airport will have great fun, and someone will be pretty pissed for not being able to do anything, while you can walk in with helmet. This might sound as joke, but colleague was already carrying photo equipment over his shoulder and in pockets, since carry-on luggage was 2cm too big. So I think it's easy and funny solution for idiotic check-in clerks who can't be at least a little bit flexible.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
From February 2009 there are several reports that helments were not allowed in hand baggage in some airports. See here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1172850

The March 2009 entry says that Chambery relaxed its rules and allowed helmets.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Last time we went away (Feb 2009) we packed boots, helmet and complete set of ski clothes in our hand baggage because we were travelling with Air France to Geneva and had a change in Paris and our daughter who had travelled a few months before with them (London to Hong Kong via Paris) arrived at her final destination minus her luggage. As she was then flying straight to Singapore she had to wait a couple of days for her luggage to catch up with her. Luckily she was able to borrow clothes from friends she was staying with.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bloomers,
welcome to snowheads. Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Bloomers, Sorry! Welcome snowHead
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The best reason -not- to put a helmet in your hand luggage is that you are left with no space for ski boots.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bloomers, welcome to snowHeads. Just for clarification, achilles' friendly welcome is meant to indicate that there are many, many threads on here about helmets in hand luggage. comprex' sarcasm is even more subtle: there are yet more threads about whether boots are allowed in hand luggage. But please don't be put off, it's a relatively friendly place on occasion. Toofy Grin
If you've got an hour or six to spare, do have a browse around the search facility; though, that said, I would doubt that you will get a cast-iron answer to your specific question in any past thread. Personally, I pack my helmet in my main case (and my boots too) and it's never been damaged as I take care to pad it well with ski clothing. And I wouldn't take, as hand luggage, something that I knew, before I even set out, was bigger than the maximum size specified by my carrier. But I can be a bit boring like that. wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bloomers, welcome to snowheads...as achilles is hinting, this topic has been covered before (mainly in relation to ski boots, to be fair Little Angel ). Anyway, I can't help on Thomas Cook I'm afraid, but the general consenus seems to be that it depends on both the airline and the airport that you're travelling to. I can confirm that last season Grenoble was not allowing helmets in hand luggage...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bloomers wrote:
The alternative is to pack the helmet in the suitcase, but there won't be much room for it and also I'd prefer to keep it with me and know that it's not getting knocked about somewhere.

What's it made out of - papier mache?

Jeez - just stick a soft layers either side of it and it'll be find in a suitcase...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
bertie bassett wrote:
Bloomers wrote:
The alternative is to pack the helmet in the suitcase, but there won't be much room for it and also I'd prefer to keep it with me and know that it's not getting knocked about somewhere.

What's it made out of - papier mache?

Jeez - just stick a soft layers either side of it and it'll be find in a suitcase...

FWIW that's more or less what I do. However, the trunk slam tests here make sobering reading if you have a Pro-Tec Mercenary.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I stick mine in hand luggage with goggles, mp3 player and camera inside it. Hardly takes up any additional room and protects the goggles from being squashed against anything hard.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hurtle, actually - flying to the US I do put my boots in hand luggage and check my helmet in hold luggage - as it is way more important to have your boots arrive with you if your hold luggage doesn't make a connection at a US Hub - something which has happened to me a couple of times. So Comprex may not be being ironic.

Bloomers, stash it in your hold luggage - put soft stuff around it - stash your goggles and glasses inside it to protect them. If it cannot stand up to that there is no point in wearing it.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I almost always travel with helmet in hand luggage (or even tied to the outside of hand luggage!) and so do a lot of my friends. Saves on the space / weight issues!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
beanie1, just don't go near Grenoble airport, but that's another thread
latest report
Bloomers, If you are looking at taking boots with you when you get them I tend to find that my helmet quite neatly fits over the tops of the pair of boots in the boot bag - might be worth looking at combining them.
ski holidays
a good idea but have you ever watched aircraft loaders throwing the boot bags onto the aircraft? Evil or Very Mad
latest report
Just attach the helmet to the back of your backpack (don't turn around too quickly when walking down the plane) thats the best way to save space and i've done it a hundred times and no one has ever said anything.

Then sit in your seat, calmly place your lid on your head and explain to the person next to you in your most serious tone that you "have a bad feeling about this flight...."

or alternatively if you're not a git like me just explain you're a nervous flyer.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy