Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hemel ski lengths

Poster: A snowHead
When going to the Hemel snowhead do's I've always been given the yellow skis, apart from last time when what I presume was a supervisor was training someone and gave me a pair of blue skis. They were the ones where they have to adjust the bindings for the colour on the back of the boot rather than being matched with the colour on the front of the boot.

I haven't noticed any size markings on the skis and wondered if they are sized by colour and if so what length the yellow and blue skis are?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 16-08-09 20:10; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The blue are XXL and the yellow are XL - I'd guess at 175 and 168 respectively so hardly massive.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The red ones I teach on are 160cm I think, and I think the longest they have is 175cm, so I guess the yellow ones are somewhere in between.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar, Last couple of times at Hemel the OH (similar level to me) has been given some dark coloured (apparently more high performance) skis - how does that work?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Iski, not sure. Were they from the pool of demo skis that Head have at The Snow Centre, rather than the regular rental skis? I don't think that the demo skis are normally given out, so not quite sure what your OH was given.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar, I've just asked him and they weren't from the demo skis. Apparently he told them he usually has 160 and they didn't have those or 165 in the normal hire skis so gave him the ones you usually have to pay more for and was told they were better skis than the hire ones?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I always ask for 160s which they never have - the choice being 150s or 165s. Can't remember which colour they are though...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
cathy, These were dark (black?) and looked narrower than the ones I had. They usually give me the 150s.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I presume at 6'4" and 14st 4lb I should be asking for the blue ones then rather than the yellows they seem to usually give me, or is helpful at my stage of learning and on such a short slope to keep to the easier to turn shorter ski?

Do the blue ones only come in the adjustable bindings?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Iski, yes, I think I normally have the 150s which really are probably a bit short but I don't think it makes a whole lot of difference there. Perhaps I'll go for the 165s next time, my own skis are 162 after all, so not that much difference
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I was at Hemel the other night. The red ones are the 150s, and the yellow ones are 165s.

I got told something about them only having 150s or 165s, and if you wanted something in between (which I did - I was tripping over the 165s and the 150s aren't quite long enough for me) I was told that they had them, but in the 'premium' skis which you have to pay more for? I've never been offered any kind of 'premium' upgrade there, so didn't know it existed - anyone know anything about it?

Just curious really - not likely to pay them even more money... rolling eyes

Amy.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Monium, welcome to snowHeads.
Last time we went to Hemel it was for a private lesson for myself and my OH. I was given the red ones - 150s - which is what I usually have at Hemel and my OH was given premium skis in 160 because they had run out of 165s (which are the normal hire skis and the ones he usually has). He wasn't asked to pay any extra for them.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Monium, welcome to snowHeads.

There is a small pool of Head's skis for next season which are available for test, for a small additional charge (£5 I think). It would have been one of these skis that you were offered.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for the welcome Smile

rob@rar - thank you, that makes sense! Are they worth the extra fiver though, that's the question...?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Monium, OH said he really liked them. Didn't stop him falling over though Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Monium, if you're looking to buy a new pair of skis and would like to test some out it can be useful, but only you will be able to judge whether you think that's worth paying extra for (I think that you can also get some demo skis, free of charge, at the Snow&Rock store at Hemel). I've skied on the normal rental stock quite a lot and they are OK for what I want, with the exception of race training where I find them too floppy.
ski holidays
Iski, Laughing

rob@rar good to know - sounds like I'm not really in the market for the 'premium' skis then! Wink (Not really good enough to bother...). Interesting re Snow & Rock though, may well come in handy as I'm looking to probably get some of my own skis at some stage soon.
ski holidays
Monium,

afaik the demo range of S&R at Hemel isn't truly free. They ask for a £15 'deposit', which is then returned to you - but in the form of a voucher which you need to use at S&R, rather than having your money returned to you.

I suppose it depends on whether you're about to buy something in the shop or not.

Ellis Brigham allowed skiers with me (I wasn't skiing) to demo their skis for free at MK - pity that S&R Hemel dont offer the same courtesy.
ski holidays
fr0sty, I didn't realise that was the case.
snow report
rob@rar,

It may be that the lads 'work out' something a bit more friendly for those they know and recognise as regular customers.

However, the notice about the deposit and the voucher is stuck to the demo rack for general customer info I believe - (or at least it was very recently).

Cheers!
ski holidays
fr0sty, doesn't seem customer friendly at all, and wouldn't encourage me to demo and then buy there.
snow report
rob@rar,

Agreed.
latest report
fr0sty, Why not wait for the next snowHead ski test night?
ski holidays
BMF_Skier wrote:
fr0sty, Why not wait for the next snowHead ski test night?

Jolly good idea Smile 10th October, all being well.
snow report
BMF_Skier, rob@rar,

That is indeed a fantastic idea. Unfortunately I am still awaiting an operation, (postponed until Nov at last check! Sad )

I'll still be there, and I'll still be skiing (of sorts anyway ha-ha!), but I wont be doing much more than pootling about with some skid turns as anything more might knacker me further!

It will still be fun though. I gave it a go last week for the first time since getting injured, and while a bit ropey it's still feels great going down a slope on a set of planks, no matter how knackered my joint is! Wink

Cheers!
snow conditions
So which do you recon Rob blue or yellow? Smile

Elmer wrote:
I presume at 6'4" and 14st 4lb I should be asking for the blue ones then rather than the yellows they seem to usually give me, or is helpful at my stage of learning and on such a short slope to keep to the easier to turn shorter ski?

ski holidays
Elmer wrote:
So which do you recon Rob blue or yellow? Smile

Elmer wrote:

My inclination is to go shorter rather than longer on that slope, but maybe try both sizes in one session (although preferably not at the same time) to see which you prefer?
latest report
rob@rar wrote:

My inclination is to go shorter rather than longer on that slope, but maybe try both sizes in one session (although preferably not at the same time) to see which you prefer?

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Now the thought is in your mind I wouldn't put it past you to have the evil idea of getting us to wear two different sized skis as a drill in the next coaching session Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Iski wrote:
Now the thought is in your mind I wouldn't put it past you to have the evil idea of getting us to wear two different sized skis as a drill in the next coaching session Toofy Grin

It is part of the repertoire; works best with a regular ski and a snowblade Toofy Grin
snow report
rob@rar, Laughing
ski holidays
Thanks I did wonder if the shorter might be easier, not as if I'm going to be going that fast.
snow conditions
There are some more sizes of rental skis coming in from Head, hopefully in September. A few shortfalls in rental sizes have been found and this is being corrected.
snow conditions
Elmer, i'm about your height and use 165's indoors...
snow conditions
When I was at Sir Bob's training thingy, they gave me some tiny little things that were barely longer than my boots.
ski holidays
rob@rar, ski test night sounds like it'd be fun... and both me and my partner are looking at treating ourselves (just don't tell the bank manager... Wink) Do you have any more info on it?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy