Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best for early season snow...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone seen the half price deals from igluski for the week beginning December 12th? The price looks very good, flights transfers accomodation and catered - from £244 for La Tania, only £249 for Val D'Isere and similar prices for Arc 1800, Tignes etc. I think I'll book one, but trying to decide which will be best and most snow sure?

Thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
they are all within about 10 miles of eachother so the variations are not likely to be huge
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Okay - so probably just higher altitude is better I guess.. in which case I might try and get something in L'espace Killy. Thanks.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
All have a good record for early snow (though I would likely err away from La Tania given the other options) - I'd probably take a shot at Tignes if the price isn't much more - much 'easier' access to a glacier if it has gone tits up.

If there are good prices for Austria it might be worth a look. Being more central to the landmass the temperatures drop more consistently and usually earlier than in the French Alps. Also, as the resorts are often in farming areas, most of the runs are grass rather than rock, so need much less snow to become skiable.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
another vote for Tignes, given that range of choice.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I was in Val Thoren one november a few years back and the snow was great! snowHead
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Skied Tignes early season a number of times, always been snow, some years powder some years just hard packed on the glacier. Had some amazing conditions in schladming, austria 2 seasons ago in mid Nov, knee deep dry powder, opened 26 oct that year, last season opened around mid nov i think. Sure dec would be fine, nice and quiet before the xmas rush.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
First week of the season (first week of December) in St Anton two years ago there was so much powder that only two runs were open - a black and a blue - but it was excellent, so another vote for Austria if there is a cheapy available Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Agree with the Tignes suggestions.

Although, Arno is correct in that there is unlikelty to be much difference in snow conditions it is not guaranteed. Specifically, I was in Val d'Isere from 13th to 20th Dec last season and there was approx 6ft of new snow in 36 hours. (Terribly disappointing... Smile )The three valleys had less than 6" from the same storm.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

The three valleys had less than 6" from the same storm.

But I think the very high winds nonetheless closed all the lifts - my niece was out in Val Thorens with a Uni trip, and not pleased!

It is definitely hit and miss at that time. It can snow a lot, but it can also rain a lot. And when it snows a lot AND blows a lot lifts can be closed for days. And many resorts won't have many lifts open even if the snow cover is good - you need to do some research.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

you need to do some research.

I think jackus appreciates that - hence the reason for the posting on here.... wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jackus, i'v been out to Val d'Isere with our ski club that week for the last four years and always had plenty of skiing. Last year was incredible!

Val D'isere is mostly quite smooth terrain so it doesn't need too much snow to get operational. I reckon its a fairly safe bet and with some sheltered tree runs if its really windy or snowy. Another option might be the Sella Ronda, which opens up on the 1st december and arugeably has the best artificial snow making system in the world. Its also a truly fantastic place to ski snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I should be going to Tignes on the 5th December this year for a week, so fingers crossed for good conditions!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for all the input. The deal covers only the french resorts, the austrian ones seem quite a bit more as they are not on offer. Given those choices, seems like Espace Killy is the one to go for. I know there's a risk of a lot of wind and shut lifts but.. there's always that risk! Just have to book it up and keep for fingers crossed for a week like Peter S's one in Val D'I! Maybe because of the smooth terrain it's a better bet there - doesn't really matter where in Espace Killy I guess.

Thanks.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy