Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Training for BASI Alpine Development Coach L1 & L2 awards

Poster: A snowHead
A few of us have said that we would be interested in getting some specific training for the BASI Alpine Development Coach awards, either for Level 1 or Level 2 courses. Ross Green (Head of Coaching for BASI and one of the Trainers who run the ADC L1 and L2 courses) has agreed to run training days with Inside Out Skiing for anyone who is working towards these qualifications. A few people have already expressed interest in attending, but please post here or register your interest at website if you want to come along. If there's enough demand we will run a L1 day and an L2 day, but if not it will be easy for Ross to manage a group who are at different levels. The training would be a day long course (approx 9.30am to 4pm, with time for free practice afterwards) and the cost would be the same as the BASI pre-assessment day that we ran last year (£99). Anyone interested? And do you know anyone at your race clubs or artificial slopes who might be up for this?

The dates that Ross is able to run the training days are:
Sunday 21 March
Saturday 24 April
Saturday 25 April

Please indicate if any of these days are more convenient for you than the others.

Interested:
rob@rar
GrahamN
Dunk
FlyingStantoni
david@mediacopy
slikedges
beequin
snowqueen11
roga

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 9-01-10 16:44; edited 10 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yep, I'm up for that. There may be one other at our club who'd be interested (did the L1 with me), although it may be a little early for him to be thinking about that just yet.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
GrahamN, great, ask him if he's interested. I think there's at least one guy at Hemel who might sign up.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There was also slikedges on our course, and a couple of guys from Norfolk Race Club who may be interested, although I think they're mainly heading along the SSE route now.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
GrahamN, I'll PM slikedges and Flyingstantoni said he might like to come along.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar, I would be interested.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar wrote:
GrahamN, I'll PM slikedges and Flyingstantoni said he might like to come along.

Yep, just to confirm that I'd be in - subject to the diary thing.

I'd be potentially interested in doing more than one session.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar, you could try Glen from Bromley who I think was on your L1 coach? I have his email if you don't
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
beanie1 wrote:
rob@rar, you could try Glen from Bromley who I think was on your L1 coach? I have his email if you don't

I don't think I have Glen's email. I'd be grateful if you could PM it to me.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar, put me down as a maybe, depending an dates etc.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for the heads up, Rob, sorry haven't been on much of late. Would definitely be interested, date dependent!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
slikedges, excellent. I'll get a some possible dates together as soon as I can. Do you have a weekday or weekend preference?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Very strong weekend preference.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yep, strong weekend preference.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
FlyingStantoni, slikedges, OK, waiting to hear back from Ross and will let you know.
snow conditions
rob@rar, any news?
latest report
Dunk, sorry, still waiting the hear back from Ross.
latest report
looking good chappies.. ross is up for it but wont be till Oct earliest. I will be on the video camera chuckling while you fall over doing crazy drills Toofy Grin NehNeh
ski holidays
Thanks for that skimottaret.

Reminds me that we must get some tele-steeze in NehNeh
ski holidays
Just back off summer hols and straight back into back into more important ski type matters. I would be interested in the details for the course/day described if there are palces available?? Rich
latest report
Oi Oi Savaloy, welcome to snowHeads. We don't have a date yet so best to send me a Private Message with your email (click on the "Send/Read Message" underneath the snowHeads logo) or contact us via the Inside Out website and we'll get in touch with you when we have some potential dates.
latest report
rob@rar, I may be interested in this too Toofy Grin
ski holidays
bit of an update, Ross is up to his eyeballs at the moment and although very keen to do this for us the reality is that it will have to be delayed till probably the new year. If this is a major problem i can try to arrange another trainer
snow report
A day or half-day without Ross would probably suffice from my point of view.
ski holidays
hi, I'd be up for this too, although it depends on the date. Could you put me in for receiving info? I don't know much about ADC, just that I need to do it at some point.

many thanks
latest report
snowqueen11, we'll let you know when we have dates available, although as skimottaret said, this probably isn't going to be in the immediate future as Ross is very busy at the moment.
snow report
And I quote from a Facebook exchange this evening...

Quote:
I recommend doing something before Dev coach 2. We had XXX and he said the reason half of our group failed is cos we were unfit...

Otherwise lots of training on crazy drills...
latest report
I need to do ADC1 & 2 at some point for L3 so I'd be up for something too ... as I understand it ADC1 is relatively easy in comparison with ADC2, is that correct?

I'm probably not ready for the course yet but some training, practice and an opportunity to get my head round what's needed would be good.

Generally I can only make weekends 'coz I teach but if it's October half-term time 24th to 1st Nov that'd be cool.

So, please add me to the list Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

as I understand it ADC1 is relatively easy in comparison with ADC2, is that correct?

roga,

yes.

ADC L1 is somewhere between Alpine L1 and L2 standard, whereas ADC L2 is roughly Alpine L3 technical piste performance standard.
latest report
beanie1 wrote:
ADC L1 is somewhere between Alpine L1 and L2 standard, whereas ADC L2 is roughly Alpine L3 technical piste performance standard.

In which case ADC1 shouldn't be a problem it's the 2 I need training for.

Thanks for that beanie1 Very Happy
snow conditions
rob@rar, Unfortunatley I have booked to do level 1 & 2 at Hintertux Dec, assuming the courses are confirmed. This could be interesting now as I was wishing to do some training before. It's the level 2 Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
Dunk, sorry about that. Ross is incredibly busy at the moment, professionally and with family life. He's very keen to do some training, but it's just impossible for him to find a spare time until after Christmas.

Good luck with L1 and L2 - we'll expect a full report (and some insider tips Wink).
latest report
Dunk, try and find someone who's done it to run through the drills with you. Then just practice practice practice... Get a friend to video you.

If you can carve short and long turns on red runs, and nail the drills (which is down to practice), then you should be fine... Didn't Wayne do it recently? Maybe he can offer some advce.
ski holidays
beanie1, It's the practice practice practice that is the problem, I have a week on snow early Nov so I guess I need to spend some time in a fridge. I read Wayne's report.
rob@rar, No worries, full report if courses run.
It has been 7 years since last BASI course so will be very interesting.
snow report
Hi! I have resisted the temptation to post an earlier comment on the ADC courses but if my experience can help other people then that is a good thing. I did the Level 1 & 2 in Hintertux May 09. I passed the level 1 but failed level 2. I am not going to engage in discussion about my thoughts on the course, but I will let you know what drills we were assessed on if it helps people get an idea of what they might need to practice for. Most of the drills were already mentioned (and well explained) in a post by another snowhead who has also done the course.

We were assessed on 7 pass or fail drills and a timed run through the GS gates. Drills included:
1. Hockey stop. Straight running in a narrow corridor marked by brushes and having to hockey stop in a box without touching any of the markers/brushes.
2. One ski carving.
3. Jumping over and ducking under slalom poles. Poles were placed across the fall line and in a vertical line down the slope which were interspersed with several arches made by two poles stuck diagonally in the snow.
4. Whitepass leans or whatever you want to call them. Bringing the outside ski off the snow before the fall line and placing it back on the snow after the fall line. Turn initiation on the inside ski.
5. Cloudbursts. I really did not get the hang of these so I would not want to try and explain them here and confuse people.
6. Tic Tacks.
7. Pole plant exercise alternating between a single, a double and a norwegian pole plant whilst skiing short radius turns.
8. GS run.

I am an athletic, lighter weight female who turned up to do the course on 178 fis regulation GS skis. Undoubtely, I would have found things easier on a short non fis GS ski with a shorter radius. I would also have benefited from knowing what was expected on this course so as to practice beforehand.

I hope this helps?
ski holidays
juliad, thanks, very helpful.
snow report
juliad wrote:
I am an athletic, lighter weight female who turned up to do the course on 178 fis regulation GS skis. Undoubtely, I would have found things easier on a short non fis GS ski with a shorter radius. I would also have benefited from knowing what was expected on this course so as to practice beforehand.

Out of interest what were the other's on ?
snow conditions
I'm new to posting on a forum so I need to get the hang of how everything works...but to answer your question david there was quite a variation. In my group some of the others were on FIS regulation GS skis with 28m radius others on race carvers with a smaller radius. I would check with BASI prior to the course to see what the current minimum requirement is.

My skis are a few seasons old with a 21m radius which I have used for some introductory GS training. I took these to the course as I assumed from reading the course directory that the minimum requirement was a GS ski with more than an 18m radius. Knowing what I do now, I would take my new Stoeckli 166cm 15.6m GS skis which were bought earlier this summer to be my ISIA requirement ski. Apart from needing way more practice of drills, a shorter and lighter ski with a tighter radius would have helped.
snow report
Quote:

Tic Tacks

Shocked Shocked
latest report
I'm confused. Is there still or is there now not a ski radius requirement for ADC L2? Is it more than or around 17m or 18m?

skimottaret, easy as a small box of mints Cool
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy