Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ehrwald/Lermoos/Birberwier in March

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Has anyone been to this area in mid to late March? If so, what did you think of it? What's the snow like at that time of year? I know that the Zugspitze is close by so we're guaranteed to ski, but I don't really want to rely on that as I don't think the runs will be suitable for our mized group (how steep are the reds up there btw?). I'm much more interested in the lower level runs in Ehrwald, Lermoos, Biberwier and Bichlbach. I've got it into my head that the runs in these places have unreliable cover. Is this so? How busy are the runs likely to be in the third week of March?

Thanks, Liam
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lermoos is one of my favourite little resorts. It's a great place. Bichelbach-Berwang (linked) is small but has some nice runs, especially on the opposite side of Berwang village. I have not skied Ehrwald or Biberwier. They are all, alas, rather low. I suspect that apart from the top section of Lermoos, you may find there to be little to no snow at that time (obviously can't predict the future, though). Are you even sure they are still open at that time? A lot of these little places tend to close as soon as Easter is over (when is Easter, anyway?).

The Zugspitze on the other hand should still have loads of snow (they were reporting 4 meters in June this year). The pistes are all pretty tame in my mind. The reds aren't especially steep.

Busy? Not at all.

Those are all lovely villages, too. Where were you planning to stay? Lermoos is full of Dutch, Berwang seems to be the British village. No idea about Ehrwald.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Ami,

Oh dear - I'm really sold on the area, perfect runs, amazing scenery, pretty villages but LOW. Officially the season ends in each individual area in mid April (varies slightly) but I've seen pictures of Flickr and the like showing bare runs above Ehrwald, taken on April 1st! These are runs that have snowmaking, so I'm a bit concerned about it all.

We'd like to stay in Ehrwald, as according to the Rough Guide it's the prettiest of the villages, and it seems quite big. This year Good friday falls on the 2nd of April.

Cheers, Liam
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It is a lovely area, but you're taking something of a risk.

If you have a car, you'd be able to drive to higher areas in Austria if the snow is poor. And the Zugspitze will certainly be fine. You just never know what it will be like lower, though.

Here are a couple of my Flickr sets from that region:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/berliner_jake/sets/72157594472060914/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/berliner_jake/sets/72157603767005132/
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I haven't skied much in Ehrwald but did enjoy one day there in March 2004. This photo was taken on 21.03.2004 and the snow was fine then.

ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all for your replies! No, I won't have a car - I suppose I should forget about this area for the time being. Oh well.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'd hate to put you off going there, because it really is a great spot. It's just too hard to say what it will be like in mid/late March. Could be fantastic or could not be.

I don't know how busy it is that time of year, but maybe you could wait until the last minute to book lodging? I assume you're flying to Munich? If it's looking poor, you could always just head to Innsbruck or somewhere else higher that is easily reached by train from Munich.

I hate to see these smaller areas suffer, because they are wonderful and they need all the visitors they can get. You can have a really nice, budget holiday in these places. But what can you do if there's no snow? A week on the Zugspitze really isn't going to cut it.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes, if I wasn't such an impatient person I would do a last minute thing! One of the major draws of Ehrwald is the easy skiing close to the village, which my nervous partner would like very much. I guess this area would also be the first to suffer.

Just to be clear, we're not necessarily after great snow, just snow! It looks like such a nice area (and yes, cheap too!)

Cheers, Liam
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy