Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

zermatt/grindewald/wengen which one would you recommend?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

thinking of going to one of the above resorts at the start of december coming.

Looking for a nice lively village/town (not rowdy) & good snow for the start of december.

I understand Zermatt is expensive but herself is really keen on going there. Can anyone tell me what the price of eating out and drinking is like in all the above resorts.

Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
creedgearoid, I've only been to Zermatt (twice) out of that list. I didn't find the price of drinks too expensive, if my memory serves me right 5 SwFr upwards for a pint depending on where you go. Again food prices vary from MacDonalds, through Pizza places to much more expensive restaurants. I was alone with my 13 year old daughter and we stuck to pizza/pasta. For decent food on the mountain there are some very good restaurants (which I didn't use) but by eating in Cervinia you can get lunch much more cheaply. It is very high, almost 4K metres, with a glacier so I would have thought it would be ideal that early.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
creedgearoid, For December I'd go to Zermatt of the 3 resorts mentioned.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
creedgearoid, The Swiss franc is more kind to Sterling than the €uro currently. Yes you can spend a great deal in Zermatt but we had a great family holiday there in April this year, spending less than in Les Menuires the previous year. My family are all hooked and dead keen to go back, although its a bit cold in the early season, and not all the runs will be open.
I haven't been to Wengen so cannot commment, but you will get some strong positives from others here.

As for the snow this winter look here for predictions
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I haven't been to the other two, but Zermatt is the best place I've ever been and the only resort I would go back to.

As for the price of eating and drinking out - we didn't, we ate and drank back at our apartment, put it that way Smile
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
creedgearoid, I have been to both Zermatt and Wengen and at the start of Dec for snow conditions alone Zermatt is a no brainer, but it is also a much better if slightly more expensive in most other criteria.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I didn't think Zermatt was so expensive, as above a beer can be had for 5 CHF which I didn't resent paying and 20 odd for a fairly decent size burger,
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
creedgearoid, much as I love Wengen, if you plan to go at the start of December it has to be Zermatt, if for no other reason than many of the Wengen/Grindelwald lifts don't open until just before Christmas, Of a choice between Wengen and Grindelwald I'd always pick Wengen, but it is a quiet resort with not a lot happening, great for families with young kids as the beginners slopes are right in the middle of the village, but not for those who like a slightly more fun apres scene
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
creedgearoid, been to all of them.

Quote:
Looking for a nice lively village/town (not rowdy) & good snow for the start of december

That's Zermatt. Higher and livelier. But don't believe anyone who guarantees you snow worth skiing on that early without going really high up the hill. I had a cracking 2nd week in December in Zermatt about 20 years ago though - in a great season - but even then runs down to the village were iffy at best,
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
D G Orf gave some great advice. Wengen/Grindenwald are essentially the same ski terrain. Grin is livelier but is missing that extra special character that wengen has. Both can be a little snow shy, esp in the early season. For Dec, from the 3, pick Zermatt. When you have weathered a few more winters and night life isn't the priority, go to Wengen.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi,
Find out when the ski buses start running for those places, (even if you don`t use them) they may not even be running in early December, and hence the ski areas not got into the swing of things.

I have been to both, and Zermatt will give you more options for skiing. You can get a cable car from Zermatt as high as the Klein Matterhorn (3883 mtrs) were the ski area starts.

As you know Zermatt is a car free village, and this lends itself to not being a rowdie place. wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wot D G Orf, stoatsbrother and Skibb said. Rnjoy.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
creedgearoid, I would agree that Zermatt is the place to go at that time of the season.

It's one resort that I would return to many times and it doesn't have to be expensive. You can spend a fortune in exclusive restaurants or you can go to the North Wall Bar (for example) and eat a pizza for very reasonable prices.

You can't guarantee skiing back to the village at that time of the season but hey ho, just take the gondola back down.

It's certainly not rowdy and there are some of the best mountain restaurants in the Alps, including my favourite the Zum See. This is one restaurant everyone should visit and I know Chez Vrony seems to be the popular choice and very good it is too, but I just love the Zum See.

It is possible that you might not be able to ski back to the Zum See that early in the season but if you can, call in on the way home and experience the delight that is their Mille Feuille, which they bring out on large planks of wood and slice it up. Orgasmic. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The problem with going this early in the season is that lower resorts (Wengen / Grindelwald) will have very limited skiing and little or no nightlife, but going higher (Zermatt on the glacier) will very likely be sooooo cold you won't want to do it. At least at Zermatt there should be some nightlife I guess, but really it's not a great time of year to go skiing - just cold and dark with everyone waiting for the big snowfalls. Wengen will be dead apart from weekends.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Was in both resorts last season...... Zermatt no question!!
Early December is pretty good for accommodation prices and the price of food and drink in both resorts was about the same.
Lift pass is dearer in Zermatt, but at the beginning of December, you may just have green fields in Grindelwald.
latest report
creedgearoid, if you're looking for some life, do NOT go to Wengen, unless your idea of lively is a singsong around the piano.
snow report
Helen Beaumont wrote:
creedgearoid, if you're looking for some life, do NOT go to Wengen, unless your idea of lively is a singsong around the piano.
Very Happy

The best I heard and very accurate was Gressoney which was described as a resort where at 10pm, you could hear a garage door slam at 3 miles. Great skiing though.
latest report
jbob, I was with a group of SnowHeads, and we were naturally quite lively, but some of the bars were as dead as a grave, they all closed early, and you couldn't even whisper in the street after 10pm.
ski holidays
hehe, the secret nightlife is working. That's right, wengen is dead and there will be no snow in december at all, ever Wink
snow conditions
When my daughter worked in Wengen I was sent back to my hotel at about 11pm as she was going out to the night life which started once they had sent all the guests to bed.
ski holidays
riverman, yeah sounds about right, but in Early December there will be no nightlife in Wengen (except maybe at weekends) and many of teh lifts will be closed, usually Wengen only opens up properly arround teh week before Christmas, I know because I onece arrived at a Wengen hotel the day before it officially opened and I was invited to teh staff start of season dinner
ski holidays
+1 for Zermartt

been in december for the past 5 years, over different weeks, The schwarzesee run into town has been open everytime. PLenty of accomodation & ski pass offers at the beginning of the month. Week before xmas is my prefered time.

its as expensive as you want to make it really..we tend to eat back at the apartment, but going shopping with the post sk imunchies can be just as expensive as eating out.. theres a good reasonable priced pizza place next to the klien matterhorn express that does take away. also Sparkys on the same road does a limited but cheap and filling menu. Beers around 14franc for 2 large ones is probably the average
latest report
Where is Wengen ?
ski holidays
Chris Brookes, Laughing Laughing
snow report
I've had some of my best apres ski nights out in Wengen, but the number of bars are limited, will be quiet in low season mid week, and things don't get going until midnight.

Quote:

really it's not a great time of year to go skiing - just cold and dark with everyone waiting for the big snowfalls.

That's why it's normally the cheapest week of the season and a great choice for those on a budget.
snow conditions
speaking of budget!! i have taken the advice of most of the replies here and have been working on booking zermatt. but WOW the hotel prices are mental. because its just me an herself we wanted to get a nice hotel for a bit of comfort as we usually travel with a group and slum it in an apartment in mostly austrian resorts.
was quoted 250 for room per night for the begining of december which i think is outrageous. anybody know a decent cosy hotel near the slopes for non multi millionaires? barring that any suggestions for a resort that would be open from 3 dec close ish to geneva airport that would be reasonably priced. not the mega resorts where you pay 20 euro for a sanwich an 6-9 for a pint. we like the pretty austrian type village thing ski in ski out. have already booked the geneva flights so a bit stuck wit that part of the world.
dont ask for much do I!!!
ski holidays
creedgearoid, I stayed in Saas Fee late November/early December and paid about £40 per night B&B in a very nice hotel called the Europa. I just booked it via the www.saasfee.ch site. It wasn't last season but the one before and skiing was right back to the village. You're also close to Zermatt and I believe you can do a days skiing in Zermatt on the Saas Fee lift pass.
ski holidays
creedgearoid, Is that Swiss Francs (1.77/£), Euros or £'s? If SwFr I wouldn't have thought that's too bad for a 4*. The resort website zermatt.ch will price up a whole load of hotels of differing standards. I've no recommendations but would suggest being near the Kleine Matterhorn lift, it makes accessig the slopes much easier IMO.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Also factor in the high price of Zermatt's pass. A lot of slopes, in 2 countries, for your money though.
latest report
Check out the Zermatt Tourist Office site. They used to do a reasonable package deal which included hotel and lift pass (or apartment and lift pass) early season. We did this on our first trip which was very early in December and got upgraded to the Hotel Julen. It was very plush but rather pricey to eat at. Some of the hotels also do their own packages.

Alternatively, there are plenty of apartments some of which are rarther luxurious and can be a reasonable price before Xmas if they have availability.

I would also recommend staying near the Klein Matterhorn station. It offers access to both Gornergrat and Schwarzsee and the Matterhorn Paradise, as well as giving you the option to go over to Cervinia if the weather permits. The main disadvantage is getting to Sunnegga and Rothorn which can be done via Gonergrat if the links are open otherwise you will need to take the bus. The other disadvantage is the longer walk to town (about 10-15 mins) for the food shopping but there is the bus if necessary or always the option of a gluwein on the walk back at Papperla's or stopping for a beer at Sparky's (or both!).
latest report
Quote:

would also recommend staying near the Klein Matterhorn station

In fairness the bus is free, frequent and I would rate being in the centre in December over convenience of getting on the snow, to enjoy the resort, queues aren't going to be mega to travelling around not a big hassle
ski holidays
If Zermatt does prove too pricey I'd echo geepee's suggestion of Saas Fee, not too far from Geneva, the rail transfer is pretty good. Also its more likely to have good snow to resort level early Dec and chance of skiing back down to the village. Not sure what apres would be like that early season but its not bad generally though not as lively as austrian apres. Can't compare to Zermatt, I want to go there soon myself but it is definitely a bit cheaper from research I'd done trying to book Zermatt last year. Good luck with whatever choice you go for.
ski holidays
creedgearoid wrote:
speaking of budget!! i have taken the advice of most of the replies here and have been working on booking zermatt. but WOW the hotel prices are mental. because its just me an herself we wanted to get a nice hotel for a bit of comfort as we usually travel with a group and slum it in an apartment in mostly austrian resorts.
was quoted 250 for room per night for the begining of december which i think is outrageous. anybody know a decent cosy hotel near the slopes for non multi millionaires? barring that any suggestions for a resort that would be open from 3 dec close ish to geneva airport that would be reasonably priced. not the mega resorts where you pay 20 euro for a sanwich an 6-9 for a pint. we like the pretty austrian type village thing ski in ski out. have already booked the geneva flights so a bit stuck wit that part of the world.
dont ask for much do I!!!

I stayed at the Hotel Europe in Zermatt a couple of years ago. Comfortable 3 star and reasonably priced.

http://www.europe-zermatt.ch/e/

Double room about CHF160.
snow conditions
telford_mike wrote:

I stayed at the Hotel Europe in Zermatt a couple of years ago. Comfortable 3 star and reasonably priced.

http://www.europe-zermatt.ch/e/

Double room about CHF160.

I've also stayed at the Hotel Europe and agree with you Mike - it's good value for Zermatt.
ski holidays
creedgearoid, If you do end up in Hotel Europe you might not want to carry your skis home each evening. Flexrent will look after your ski kit overnight and are very helpful, with quality kit and good value rental. Its said, although I didn't try it, that they will transport your skis from their Sunegga express shop (almost opposite the lift) to the Klein Matterhorn overnight if you ask.
snow conditions
Jonny luv plums, So true, so true. Don't go to Wengen, we don't want rowdy bunches here gate crashing our lock ins.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 21-08-09 15:56; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
riverman wrote:
When my daughter worked in Wengen I was sent back to my hotel at about 11pm as she was going out to the night life which started once they had sent all the guests to bed.

Which is what she has been doing the whole of this week too!!
latest report
1. Zermatt
2. Wengen
3. Grindelwald
latest report
scillysnowprincess, No change then
snow report
1. Murren
2. Wengen
3. Grindelwald
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy