Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How Big A Rental Car Do You Need?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
achilles, we drive an automatic (actually it has a CVT) in the alps all year round. Admittedly we have partial 4x4, but I've only seen it active a couple of times. Great snow tyres mean it's rarely necessary.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
paulio, Start slowly, drive smoothly, and if necessary put it in the gear you want (not good for the gearbox but - hey!) I haven't actually had a manual car for more years than I can remember, and none of my vehicles have been front wheel drive either. Snow tyres help hugely, chains too - unreal. Otherwise just business as usual.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Two of us have driven between Chambery and Brides-les-Bains in a Fiesta with two pairs of skis and a pile of gear with no probs.

If you're worried about it then you could also take one of these:

http://www.handirackuk.com/

They're great!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I’m looking to rent a car from Chambery to La grave, it’s quite expensive and I’m travelling alone so was thinking about something Corsa sized…shouldn’t be a problem to get the skis in with the passenger seat down?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
brownie wrote:
I’m looking to rent a car from Chambery to La grave, it’s quite expensive and I’m travelling alone so was thinking about something Corsa sized…shouldn’t be a problem to get the skis in with the passenger seat down?

We got 3 adults with luggage and 2 sets of straight skis into a Renault 5 - much to the surprise of the chap at the private Belfast Car Park (who took your car to park until you returned), when bags, boot bags, skis and hand luggage kept being unloaded.....So I would say "Yes" to your question. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ha! A proper tardis then.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
brownie wrote:
Ha! A proper tardis then.

The person in the back was virtually buried. Skullie
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've rented Corsa or equivalent several times and never had problems with 2 or 3 pairs of skis up to 184cm with the back seats down - normally run the skis through the middle of the car, propped up on a bag to get them out of the way of the gear stick
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks both. Corsa or equivalent booked Smile
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Zombie Thread!!!!

1 in teeny cars … take or buy bin bags - 2 off - one goes on tips and stops skis scratching seats, other one goes on tails to stop scratching inside of tailgate.

2 hire auto fine in Alps - have used them many times, from teeny cars to Merc spacecraft. Avoid situations where you have to stop on tricky terrain like humps and holes in car parks, stopping on steep ramps etc - those are indeed a pain with an auto….
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

take or buy bin bags - 2 off - one goes on tips and stops skis scratching seats, other one goes on tails to stop scratching inside of tailgate.

Brilliant tip.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy