Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sea, ski and sun

Poster: A snowHead
This article in Expatica for people who want to have a full holiday enjoying sun, sea and snow at the same time.

It is about the French Rivera where you can ski in the morning or waterski in the afternoon.
According to the manager of Isola 2000 resort, it's the combination of sun and sea that attracts so many skiers to the area.

Anybody ever skied in the morning and was brave enough to swim in the sea in the afternoon?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not done that but years ago there was a major international winter sailing championship at Canne whic was ski/yachting. The first part of the regatta was sailing and the results were carried forward to the skiing up at Isola 2000 (IIRC). A combined score produced the winner. The event fell away from the calander because it was for Olympic class sailing boats and national coaches didn't like their potential Olympic medalists rsiking ski injuries. I even remember a specially designed wetsuit that could be used for both sailing and skiing!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kerekip wrote:

Anybody ever skied in the morning and was brave enough to swim in the sea in the afternoon?

Not quite, but in the USA I have skied at Mammoth in the morning, left the resort at lunchtime and driven to Death Valley and been relaxing in the thermal waters of the swimming pool at Furnace Creek Ranch by evening Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You can also ski at Sierra Nevada in Spain in the morning, drive 2 hrs to the coast and swim in the afternoon - in March. It has been mooted at home (to replace the ski all day for a weekend in March regime that has been in place for the last 8 years)
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Some time ago one of the major TOs offered a ski/golf package in Andalusia....3 days Sierra Nevada, 3 days on 3 different golf courses.
It was not a success.....research showed that the two sports were not a good combination for British holidaymakers. I've met quite a few golfers on the Utah slopes in March after an early morning round, but a lot of them were locals.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Done this in the States . Skied Big Bear monring then driven down to LA,Newport Beach for the afternoon. Also done it in Cyprus.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I am off to Tenerife on 11 March - its looking good so far - more snow than Whistler !

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Teide.0to6top.shtml

snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have a friend who spent a year during his Arabic degree in Syria and skiied in Syria (I think) or thereabouts whilst being able to look out over the Med. Sounded pretty impressive. Apparently the sunburn was horrendous Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I met a greek woman in Val d'Isere a couple of weeks ago who is going boarding in the Greek mountains in March. This must offer the opportunity to swim in the afternoon. But does anyone know where you go skiing in Greece?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Chris Angus, more likely to be Lebanon. B00thy, Parnassos is in our SnowBase resorts database.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My Father-in-law who lived in antibes during the war says that it was a regular pastime for the youf of the time to ski in the Morning and swim in the late afternoon in the Med.

Allegedly the routine was to get a charabanc with their bikes up to the skiing area .. places like Greolieres being even closer to the coast than Isola2000 ( which didn't exist then). Having done a few runs they would cycle back to the cost for a swim having strapped skis to their bikes! Plausible as it is all downhill and only a couple of hours by pushbike - less from Greolieres. You could probably do it now in February (if you are a Brit) as sea temperatures are a bit like an English summer.

The manager of Isola 2000 is a legend in his own lunchtime. Anyone who has been there will have run to him ...! Larger than life is an understatement.

Isola is not always warm and sunny as it is often portrayed. We went there early in the New Year for a day and the temperatures on piste were -11. Skiing was great but I understand that they are now a little short of snow while Valberg and Auron are still OK although the whole area is expecting some snow tomorrow.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
B00thy

Plenty of places t ski in Greece

http://www.snowreport.gr/
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Couple of weeks ago a group of us went down to Marbella for a golf trip and spent one day skiing in Sierra Nevada
Surreal.

Also spent a day in Tangier with the afternoon in the Kasbar watching Chelsea thrash Pompey
Double surreal!!!!!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I didn't quite squeeze in a ski and swim session in the Sierra Nevada, Spain and Costa Tropical in one day but I did it over 2 days in April and it is surreal.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I skied one day in Sierra Nevada, a day in the Alhambra Palace and then a second day in Sierra Nevada (where it was snowing) followed by driving to the Med coast (where it was clear). Waking up the next morning to look at the Med from my bed was very sureal. Great trip. I've never done it again but I'd love to give it a go.
ski holidays
A friend of mine was born in Cyprus (many years ago ) and represented the island at varous international games (Commonwealth etc, I think) as a gymnast and a swimmer...! This is all according to him but I have no reason to doubt his word.

His family lived in the Troodos mountains North of Limassol and, as a teenager, he used to cycle to the coast for swimming training in the sea all year round. During the winter he used to ski whenever the snow allowed and then cycle to the coast - and back!!

He must have been a fit lad - and his dog used to run alongside for company (fit dog, too).
snow report
Quote:

He must have been a fit lad
very fit. Troodos ski area is at almost 2000m and starting from sea level that's quite a climb. Takes about 50 minutes by car. Sure he wasn't on a motor bike ? Tried for a web cam shot but there doesn't seem to be one from later than April 2004. Syria has had loads of snow recently but I'm not sure about Cyprus.
snow report
Linds has it off to a fine art... a skiing holiday, then 36hrs later jet off to the Canary Islands.... Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
NehNeh Cool Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Yes but shock and horror I have to go back to work in 2 weeks Shocked Could get used to this Cool
M get that next ski trip organised snowHead
latest report
Over the years I have been asked some stupid questions about NZ, but the best is whether you can ski mornings and swim afternoons. Geez guys, think about it. If it's cold enough to snow and you can get to a beach from the snow line within, say, 3-4 hours, then it's cold enough to get frostbite if you swim at that beach. Of course you CAN swim if you want to, but you'd be an idiot to do so without a full wetsuit.

kerekip, yeah right. Whatever. Skiing glaciers in summer doesn't count, cause that's just snow left over from winter.
snow report
Manda wrote:

kerekip, yeah right. Whatever. Skiing glaciers in summer doesn't count, cause that's just snow left over from winter.

Have I missed something? Doh! kerekip is talking about Isola, Auron etc. in March (which is not our summer) not glaciers.
latest report
B00thy, yes. When living in Provence, we regularly sat outside in the sun to have Christmas lunch. By April the weather was superb. The outdoor pool (unheated) was warm enough to swim in comfortably by late April - and we were near Avignon, away from the coast where conditions are considerably milder.

A couple of Easters we had surprise dumps of snow on the Mont Ventoux and were able to get in some great skiing for a few days. At home down below, 30 mins drive away, those with a bit of extra padding were quite happy to swim at 18°C.
ski holidays
B00thy, no, you didn't miss anything - am very aware of Northern hemisphere seasons (said as she watches the rain gather in Southampton Sad ) - was clarifying the point, just in case. Often some glacial resorts claim that you can ski summer mornings on the glacier and swim the afternoon - just isn't cricket in my book. I can ski all day last week in St Gervais, and swam in a heated hotel pool in the evening - but that's not the same thing at all as sking all morning during a normal ski season and then hiving off to the beach at lunchtime for a spot of apres-swimming in the sea.

And, having re-read the article, it doesn't actually indicate how warm the Med would be at that time of year, or give a concrete timeframe for how long the winter snow/summer beach crossover lasts for. Can't be a long period, surely??!

PG, that's soooo cool! :sH Any chance it'll happen again this year??? Shocked
snow conditions
Manda, Sea temp in April on Cote d'Azurshould be 13/14 degrees .. not hot by any means ... but warm if you live in Soton Smile
snow report
Newbie50, don't make me jealous. Sad
latest report
Soory for doubting you Manda.

Oh, Newbie50 and Manda, just to put it into perspective I windsurf until November each year - in temperatures below 13/14 degrees (below 7 or 8 degrees is too low for me). So you could be riding on snow in the morning and riding on waves in the afternoon. Admittedly I use a wetsuit.
snow report
B00thy, I see you're in Kent.... many moons ago I learned to windsurf when a course was advertised... in January, within the harbour walls of the Western Docks, Dover. I wore a wetsuit too. wink
latest report
Here's news of a Red Bull sponsored event in Lebanon involving cross country skiing, cycling, running then rafting on the sea. From the Times of Oman a story about a 4 person team entering to represent Oman although it includes a couple of expats for the skiing sectors.
Quote:
The Omani team consists of four athletes — Suleiman Al Alawi (Oman’s triathlon champion), Talal Al Maharbi (national athletics team member), and skiers German Andrea Wenke and Dutch Christine Huegen, who are residents of Oman.
Oman has impressive mountains (~3000m) but no ski slopes. Yet. Watch this space - Dubai is building a large indoor snow dome now and Gulf States tend to be copy cats.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kuwait_ian wrote:
Here's news of a Red Bull sponsored event in Lebanon involving cross country skiing, cycling, running then rafting on the sea.

That sounds like excellent sport. I could imagine entering myself, if they have a veteran's category. Shame about the sponsor.
latest report
Well, the surounds of our outdoor pool looks like Blackpool Beach in the summer. Not a spot to be found for all the beautiful (!) italians sunning themselves. Shocked
snow report
Yes. You can do it here on the eastern side of the Costa Del Sol. Its not unusual to ski and hit the beach on the same day.
See www.skiandsea.co.uk
ski holidays
Wow, well there is a bump if i ever saw one, 6.5 years lol!!! Very Happy
snow report
Wow, that is a long time between posts, 6.5 years!!!

I have done it on the west coast of the US, and did it properly: surfing in the morning at Half moon bay and skiing in the afternoon at lake tahoe. Under an hour of each, but still ticked the box.
snow conditions
I was searching on google for Ski and Sea and the post appeared in the first few results. When the motorway is finished here you will be able to get from the Piste to the Beach in an hour.
snow conditions
It would be easy enough to ski Nevis Range in the morning and swim (or sail) at Fort William in the afternoon. Not sure anyone's done it. Or where the greater chance of frostbite is Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy