Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pre-BASI training and assessment?

Poster: A snowHead
Echoing angel and blytht, a huge thank-you from me to skimottaret, rob@rar and gilleski. What a superb value day. Pete's input in the first couple of hours was great, and his explanations of the whats and (even more important to a potential instructor) the whys were brilliant. Getting perspectives on the system from three different levels within it was also superb. Having skied as tutee with both Rob and Scott several times before it was really interesting to see them on the other side of the fence for once. As many other snowHeads have said, they make a great team and even though they're pretty new on the scene they both have great 'eye's and are really good at telling you how it is - even (especially) if you don't want to hear it! I'm sure they'll do well with InsideOut.

I was there really to find out what the L1 and L2 instructor stuff was all about as I've missed those out by jumping in straight at the coach level (which sits L2+ to L3). What it did confirm to me was that while I love the coaching stuff I've done so far (and as many random skiers on various slopes have found, I can't stop myself rolling eyes ), I'm probably not cut out just at present to be an L1/2 instructor - boredom with what you're trying to demo setting in half way through it doesn't lead to a great client experience! This was really brought home to me in comparing my reactions to the Central Theme stuff with the personal performance exercises. While intellectually I was as committed to both equally, I just couldn't get engaged with actually doing the Central Theme stuff. So I doubt the intructor pathway is for me just yet. Maybe some time in the future, but not just yet.

As we had "ski till you drop" lift passes, after the formal events of the day were over, blytht and I went out for a bit more practice. In the end that session stretched out for another three hours and I stayed to 8pm (until driven off by the increasing numbers of freestylers and their toys). I was mostly working on all sorts of L2 coach-style drills (one ski stuff, edge release and balance drills etc), and made some significant progress. Absolutley bu%%gered by the time I got home, and nearly fell asleep in my celebratory curry Laughing . Unfortunately catching a downside edge on a snowy lump while doing high-speed braquage did result in a heavy slam onto the snow and very sore thumb and shoulder Sad . Fortunately nothing broken, but they'll be be rather weak for the next few days rolling eyes .
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
RPF, just to make you feel worse, you really missed something. I notice none of us have given much in the way of factual report of what happened. The day panned out pretty much as follows (although there was so much I'm not sure now I've got it right).

9:30-11:15 gilleski took us through the (5-day) L1 course in 2 hours! Started with a brief description of BASI's remit and basic philoshopy. Then we worked through the essential learner's progression: snowploughs using just twisting on very flat terrain, then adding pressure management for steeper terrain. Then into plough-parallels, concentrating on how the plough develops and then the skis return to parallel. Finally onto basic parallels, with extension/flexion and pole plants. Then a bit of free-skiing for personal performance assessment before Pete left us. We did a run or two more on the CT then broke for coffee.

After a coffee-break, there was more Central Theme practice and into personal performance drills: storks (lifting the tail of the inside ski while skiing on the outside), with development into extending/flexing the supporting ski leg at the same time; braquage, progressing into jumped 90s, then windscreen-wiper sideslips. Some short-radius and some long-(well as long as Hemel allowed)-radius turns. Then back to some more Central Theme work, which showed quite an improvement after the perfomance exercises. In the midst of all that there was some lunch (around 13:00 IIRC) while reviewing our various attempts at the above - revealing our success (or lack of it) in all its brutal glory. Fun and games in the little warm-up after lunch as we had to skate around a figure-of-eight course using Scott's poles as markers while he timed us. Yours truly immediately slipped into slalom mode and cross-blocked the end poles as I went around them, so destroying the course - for which I was grossly unfairly given a DNF Laughing . And finally a wind-up session 16:00-16:30 with more photographic evidence of our successes and failures.

(Now I actually try to record what we did it's quite difficult to remember - it was a pretty rammed day, and stuff's all starting to merge together. Great day though)
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

really sorry I missed it but have a deadline to meet at end of month (won't let it happen again).

GrahamN, Cheers for the report and glad you all had a good day.

I think this kind of course is good for BASI too as it gives potential instructors a bit longer to get to grips with the ideas and to practice performing them to a higher level which can only be good for the level of instructors produced.

Yet another inovative idea from InsideOut for which I'm sure there will be more demand in the future.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
This was posted on the other Hemel thread, but probably should have been posted here.

snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
GrahamN, Blinding post, I wish I could have said that Very Happy
I did not quite manage your stamina after the event, skied to about six then watched you snowHead

That single ski stuff you definitely had it mastered in the end, well done.

Hope your shoulder and thumb get better.

RPF, I have to say that the insight they gave us, can only improve the quality of the BASI courses, to have some idea before you
take on the venture is invaluable.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have taken the plunge Very Happy

Signed up for BASI Level 1. 12th October - 16th October @ Hemel.
I will try to record my adventure on this thread for anyone interested, Pass or fail Puzzled
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
blytht, Best of luck with it Blush
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
blytht, fantastic news mate... good luck with it and have fun...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
blytht, good luck!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Way to go blytht, hope it goes really well
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Good luck blytht! Very Happy Be great to hear how you get on
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
blytht, best of luck!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PS - blytht, are you coming to Hemel on Sat 10th? I need someone to do my flying superman drills with wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
blytht, Good luck! I'm sure you'll do well snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Good luck! Would have joined you but I already have a trip to the mountains booked starting half way through that week!
snow report
Hi All,

Well first day over. I have to say that is very enjoyable.
There are 20 people on the course, we have two BASI trainers. With two shadowing.
Our group 10 is made up of 60% below 25, The others could be over 40 wink wink
3 female, guess the rest Smile

The day started with short radius turns just to get us warmed up snowHead snowHead
We then started to go through the Fundamentals:
Control(Speed, line),
Adjustments(Terrain),
Flow(Fluency, Coordination),
Steering(Pressure,Edge,Rotation),
Body Management(Posture,Balance,Movements)

This started on the nursery slope with sliding through to snowplough then unto plough turning.

All these showing just how difficult it is to be consistent throughout.

The afternoon started with some strange short jump radius turns, just to make sure your lunch was firmly down rolling eyes

From the large slope we continued from plough turning to plough parallel. The feedback from the instructors was very clear and concise,
and I had a "You mean do that moment Toofy Grin " Which I guess this is what its all about.

Slope time ended with a little competition of seeing us split into two groups, then performing in groups
of five synchronised snow plough turning Cool In the formation of the number five on a dice.
We won somehow.........................................

The day ended with a brief explanation of the instructors level 1 workbook, then we were split into groups of 5 to give a presentation
on the steps to go through when an accident occurs in either a snodome or mountain environment. This helped the whole group bond
a little further, and I have to say I learnt a lot from that.

Not feeling to tired yet Blush

Most important of all, I'll be going back for more Toofy Grin
ski holidays
blytht, sounds good! Very Happy

Quote:
Not feeling too tired yet

You weren't working hard enough wink
ski holidays
blytht, glad you enjoyed the first day, hope the rest of the course goes well!
latest report
Hi All,

Day 2.

Lots of central theme stuff.

Starting from complete beginner scenario. Equipment, moving on ski's on the flat upto just sliding, emphasis on posture, balance, etc.

Through to plough, plough turning, plough parallel, parallel turns. (Gee it sounds easy to say Very Happy Very Happy )

Had a couple of, "not sure I understand this at all" moments today followed quickly by "I might as well give up now" if I can't get this. Sad Sad

But I have to say the Instructors are very good, Took each student and went through there weaknesses. Your feedback, helped discovered what was wrong.

Looking forward to tomorrow, which at one point today I could say I wasn't. Very Happy Very Happy
The saying "A problem shared is a problem halved", is an understatement, the feedback they gave me helped put everything back on track.
By the end of the skiing session, I felt confident again and wanting to carry on. Very Happy Very Happy

The classroom session followed with a look at group management and how to fulfil those objectives. Very informative.
latest report
blytht, stick at it! We all have up and down days with skiing. Who are your trainers?
snow report
beanie1, Our trainer is called Alex and his from Devon.
snow conditions
blytht, good luck with Day 3! Hope all goes well Very Happy
ski holidays
blytht, That'll be Alex Leaf, great guy.
ski holidays
blytht, keep at it - it will all make sense in the end.
snow conditions
Hi All,
Day 3.

Today was very busy at Hemel Ladies Morning, Senior Afternoon, Freestyle course with all the furniture out for that, the snow leopard doing slalom and a TV interview (which was on BBC London @ 18:00) then a coach load of students from Warwick Uni.

Started off with personal performance review using video. (With lots of other people in shot wink wink )
analysis on Plough turning and plough parallel.

Then we began to look at teaching and fun ways to practise plough turning and plough parallel, split into two groups of
5, each member demo'ing to the group a drill (So to speak!!)

My demo for plough turning was considered to advanced Toofy Grin , so I used it in the plough parallel instead Very Happy Very Happy (Thanks Rob)

Then we practised parallel turns (Short Radius turns, with emphasis on controlling speed, mainly due to the amount of people around),
which was nice. Toofy Grin Nearly everyone liked this session can't think why!!

Back to the classroom, for group presentations on Mountain Hazards (Temperature,Visibility,Altitude,Sunlight) very Informative.

Then unto lesson delivery for tomorrow. Split into groups of two, to work on lesson content, objectives, etc.

I have to say I had a great day, looking forward to the lesson delivery tomorrow, after all this is what is about I guess Puzzled

We all may know how to ski but if we can't communicate/demonstrate to our pupils, then it ain't going to work.

Over halfway now. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
blytht wrote:
... so I used it in the plough parallel instead Very Happy Very Happy (Thanks Rob)

You're welcome mate. The best ideas are the ones you steal (and God knows I've stolen many!).

I was hoping to do a bit of shadowing this week but it's been rather manic so might not be able to. If I don't see you before the end of the course good luck with the outcome and have fun (which you certainly sound as if you are).
snow report
rob@rar,
has the training been arranged or has it been completed? would be interested to see how it compares with the SSE practice.
tony bovey
latest report
tbovey, Inside Out Skiing did a day last month for anyone who was interested in starting the BASI teaching pathway. blytht was one of the people on our course and enjoyed it enough to sign up for the BASI Level 1 which he is half-way through at the moment. We'll run another BASI training day if there's demand, but not until after the winter is over.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, Hi Rob, shame you if you can't make any shadowing, we are one shadower down,
as Steve did Monday and Tuesday but was doing a freestyle course today.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
tbovey, Inside Out Skiing did a day last month for anyone who was interested in starting the BASI teaching pathway. blytht was one of the people on our course and enjoyed it enough to sign up for the BASI Level 1 which he is half-way through at the moment. We'll run another BASI training day if there's demand, but not until after the winter is over.

I think Hemel is running one more in November which Angel is hoping to sign upto. But that will be the last until next year.
I had no idea how difficult it is to get Instructor's who are qualified to give BASI course. But now I understand that
during the winter they run ski schools where the real snow is Very Happy Very Happy

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 15-10-09 7:39; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Have fun with the last couple of days! Planning on booking the November course as soon as I can find someone who knows about it! Will be making another phone call to Hemel tomorrow before heading to the airport.
snow report
Day 4.

Lesson delivery day.

Everyone quiet in the morning, mostly nervous I guess, you know that everyone looking at everyone else with a short smile followed
by a glum look wink

The lessons were split into 5 categories basically following the central theme.
Introductory Activities
Sliding
Ploughing
Plough Turning
Plough Parallel
Basic Parallel

I thought I had an easy one with Sliding Confused Confused
How wrong I was, funny my wife has spent 26 years telling me I talk too much. rolling eyes rolling eyes
Thought I had a good lesson plan, was given 10 minutes to deliver.
After 7 minutes I had finished Shocked Shocked
Nerves just got the better of me, had all these activities planned, but just stopped.

Given another chance in the afternoon, and manage to get it right. Very Happy

The rest of the afternoon was personal development with a pairing from the other group to help see if the two groups
were at the same level.

Classroom session on Ski Equipment (Which was very interesting) then BASI and its history and vision for the future.
A short talk from Pete Gillespie the Hemel Centre Manager about shadowing and how it worked at Hemel, etc.

Now to the last day rolling eyes

So we have to ski the central theme with focus on Plough Turning, Basic Parallel. They hope to finish up around 15:00.
Each person will be given a debrief and breakdown(or have one!!) on there performance and result.......................

Watch this space......................
ski holidays
blytht, best of luck tomoro Cool
ski holidays
Good luck Smile
snow report
blytht, Best of luck for the last day, sure you will be fine Smile snowHead
ski holidays
blytht, sounding good so far, good luck for tomorrow (ok - today).
ski holidays
blytht, good luck for the last day!
snow conditions
Hi All,

Day 5.

Started off with plough turning through to basic parallel with Instructors calling you over to them for points, tips etc.

Then onto short radius turns following a partner. I enjoyed that Very Happy

Quick lunch, then the whole group got together 20 of us... Split into groups of five to produce a synchro routine.
We decided to stay with our dice number 5 routine with slow short radius turns. 10 minutes to practise then perform Shocked

We did OK came second Very Happy Very Happy

Free ski then de-brief at the bottom of the hill.

Waiting for the pass or fail was more painful then any TV show "Our tell you after the adverts moment" Puzzled

But I PASSED................................................. Yes Yes Yes. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Now to the 35 hours shadowing, first aid course, Disclosure Scotland, Child Protection Course. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

It has been a rollercoaster journey of doubting my own ability, but the instruction has been brilliant. I'm glad (understatement icon!!)
that I did it. It has given me an insight into ski instruction and how it has been mapped out.

As to the other people on the course 1 person failed to make the grade and has got to do a refresher day course Sad

Big thanks to Rob & Scott for the encouragement (pre-BASI Training Assesment Day) to take the course in the first place.
snow conditions
blytht, Very Happy First drink is on me. Very pleased for you.
ski holidays
blytht, Well done Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy