Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BA to charge for ski carrage

Poster: A snowHead
DrE wrote:
Gazzza, can you tell me what email address you used as I want to get this confirmed in writing for my flight too?

Gazza Oops, I didnt see that and have just pm'd you for the same info rolling eyes Laughing
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
alex_heney wrote:
So you will not be flying at all within the next couple of years.

It makes no difference to me, I take the train or leave skis in resort or just rent them there.

Airline had no problem taking skis before so why now? Other airlines prove it can still be done.
This is the stupid position to take not me.
This is just a money spinning exercise to target sports people ..
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Acacia wrote:
So far as transatlantic flights by KLM are concerned, I haven't had a problem. Until this year.

Im not sure about KLM trans Atlantic flights.
Most US Airlines (continental,United, NWA) accept 1 pair of ski trans atlantic so maybe KLM as well.

I know KLM DOES charge for European flights.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
stanton, Delta accepts skis as a second item, but you do have to pay extra, as I read their baggage regulations.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Arno, that's right, my BA man said nothing changed in Europe . Smile
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
stanton, Ski's and other sporting equipment have to be manually handled, unlike bags which can go down the belt and (depending on Aircraft type) go into a container, so there is more involved in carrying ski's, I'm not defending them as choosing and airline or TO that doesn't charge is a major influence for me, mind you for France I do drive.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
radar wrote:
Hi, hope this helps

It might help, if you gave us some indication of where you had received the information from.

It directly contradicts what others have been told by BA themselves, and it certainly is not what the website or initial emails appear to say.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The policy for new bookings seems pretty clear if unfriendly - better make your ski bag your only bag

Sporting equipment
The changes to our sporting equipment policy will apply to bookings made from 31 July 2009, for customers travelling from 7 October 2009. To avoid delays checking in your sporting equipment if you are travelling after 7 October, please bring your original e-ticket receipt with you to the airport.

Changes to the carriage of sporting equipment
Sporting equipment will be included as part of your free checked baggage allowance.
If the number of bags exceed your free allowance you will be charged the excess baggage rate for each extra bag.
The heavy bag charge £30 ($50) will apply each way to all bags more than 23kg (51lbs) and up to 32kg (70lbs).
All sporting equipment (excluding the not acceptable for carriage list) will be accepted for travel only if they are packed correctly within the maximum weight and reduced maximum dimensions of 190cm x 75cm x 65cm (75in x 29.5in x 25.5in).
The carriage of firearms will incur a £50 charge each way to cover third party handling costs.
Sporting items we do not accept for carriage

Because of the large size and the associated handling complexities, there is some equipment that we cannot accept as checked baggage. Therefore, we do not accept the following equipment:

Hang-gliders
Windsurfing boards and sails
Water skis that exceed the maximum dimensions
Surfboards that exceed the maximum dimensions
Kayaks and canoes
Pole vaults
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stanton wrote:
alex_heney wrote:

It makes no difference to me, I take the train or leave skis in resort or just rent them there.

Airline had no problem taking skis before so why now? Other airlines prove it can still be done.

Of course it "can be done". And there are very few airlines which have any "problem" taking them now. It is just that most airlines now charge you separately for them.

Quote:

This is the stupid position to take not me.

Not at all. There is nothing stupid in the airlines deciding to charge for specific items.

But it is stupid to say you will boycott all airlines who do, when it looks likley that will mean all airlines within a year or two. Unless of course, you really don't want to fly with ski equipment at all.

Quote:

This is just a money spinning exercise to target sports people ..

Alternatively, people who don't carry sporting goods could argue that they are now saving by not having to subsidise the carriage of those who do.

I can understand people who have been used to using the full allowances before being annoyed, but TBH it is fairer to charge people according to what they use, rather than charging everybody the same regardless of whether they want to take 1 bag or several, and regardless of whether they want a meal or not.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Linds wrote:
DrE wrote:
Gazzza, can you tell me what email address you used as I want to get this confirmed in writing for my flight too?

Gazza Oops, I didnt see that and have just pm'd you for the same info rolling eyes Laughing

I used the Contact Customer Relations complaint webform.

Link here: http://www.britishairways.com/travel/custrelform/public/en_gb?refevent=contact_us

I put my booking ref in the main comments box and requested an explicit statement (not a link to a webpage) of the baggage allowance for my specific booking and explicit written confirmation that I was still entitled to the free item of sporting equipment.

Hope that helps.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

TBH it is fairer to charge people according to what they use, rather than charging everybody the same regardless of whether they want to take 1 bag or several, and regardless of whether they want a meal or not.

Agreed. If you go to a decent restaurant you pay for what you eat. Being able to choose from a "menu" of options makes perfectly good sense, and doesn't necessarily have "no frills" or other downmarket connotations. People can already choose to pay vastly more for sitting themselves in a roomier section of the aircraft and having fancier food; what's the difference in having to pay for the baggage you want to take, with extra costs for bulky items which cost more to handle?

Air travel has been too cheap, airlines are going bust left right and centre and all this quibbling about marginal differences here and there smacks of fiddling while Rome burns. What commercial sense can it mean for an airline to carry skis "free" (sic) for a minority of passengers? Skiers who travel with skis would soon get fed up if an equally arbitrary category of travellers (for example, those who weigh more than 18 stone) were given specially big and roomy seats "free".
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
http://www.aerlingus.com/cgi-bin/obel01im1/Services/ski_uk_0408.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@2126562666.1249419452@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccdadehmhddkkjcefecfigdffgdfkl.0&P_OID=0&Category=3

crikey that's a long link, anyway I received this today and might be of interest to those who wish to fly with skis
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
my understanding of this very confusing annoucement is if you travel economy after Oct7th to say Geneva with your luggage bag weighing less than 23kg and a seperate ski bag and boot bag (3 bags in total) you will be charged £56 each way on top of your flight costs as you are now only allowed 1 free bag weighing up to 23kg which includes sporting equipment.

However if you take one large bag that weighs no more than 32kg and is not bigger than 190cms x75 x65m you would only be charged £30 for a heavy bag ( excess baggage charge). So is the answer to take the biggest cabin bag allowed plus a coffin bag weighing no more than 23kg and wear your ski jacket on to the plane! bear in mind skis weigh 5kg a set and boots about 3-4kg so does not leave much for your normal clothes. Therefore your skis go free as you will come within your free allowance. Can you see why it is very confusing!!

To add to this confusion if you are travelling directly to usa/canada as a world traveller you are allowed 2 standard bags. Is this your 90cms x 75 cms x 43cms bag or are the larger bags included? In which case your sporting equipment will go free as before you will have just have less capacity for other clothes as your skis and boots are now included in your free allowance as opposed to allowable extras. Can't wait for the check in discussions!!

I have gather this information from ba web site

Maximum dimensions for free baggage allowance.

Each bag:

must not exceed 23kg (51lbs) and 90cm x 75cm x 43cm (35.5ins x 29.5ins x 16ins), including the handle, pockets and wheels for the free allowance to apply
must not exceed 32kg (70lbs) and 190cm x 75cm x 65cm (75ins x 29.5ins x 25.5ins) for it to be checked in
You will need to pay £30 ($50 for journeys from all US airports) at the check-in desk for each bag or item that weighs more than 23kg (51lbs) and up to and including 32kg (70lbs).

Changes to the carriage of sporting equipment

Sporting equipment will be included as part of your free checked baggage allowance.
If the number of bags exceed your free allowance you will be charged the excess baggage rate for each extra bag.
The heavy bag charge £30 ($50) will apply each way to all bags more than 23kg (51lbs) and up to 32kg (70lbs).
All sporting equipment (excluding the not acceptable for carriage list) will be accepted for travel only if they are packed correctly within the maximum weight and reduced maximum dimensions of 190cm x 75cm x 65cm (75in x 29.5in x 25.5in). Puzzled
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
radar wrote:
stanton, Ski's and other sporting equipment have to be manually handled, unlike bags which can go down the belt and (depending on Aircraft type) go into a container, so there is more involved in carrying ski's, I'm not defending them as choosing and airline or TO that doesn't charge is a major influence for me, mind you for France I do drive.

I am not INTO defending airlines and I will never will when they wee wee-off customers.
They always carried skis before what has changed? It does not cost an extra €15-30 a pair of skis weighing 3.5K-5Kg to transport . It is disproportionate

Why not charge for Tennis Racquets, Wheel Chairs, Fat People etc ? The business model is not working that's why people on this forum suffer.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
alex_heney wrote:
stanton wrote:
alex_heney wrote:

Of course it "can be done". And there are very few airlines which have any "problem" taking them now. It is just that most airlines now charge you separately for them.

Let the Airlines go under. This is only the beginning , before long you will be charged for all your luggage.
Precisely my point (which you are missing) . They are focussing,attacking & charging the customer rather than lobbying the governments to reduce airport taxes,charges.

Im already out the loop & understand this that's why i take the train. Very Happy

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Tue 4-08-09 23:32; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Lou, not only is that a huge link that may cause problems for those with lowish resolution screens, but it also links to a timed-out session.

Helpful (I hope) hint: links (particularly long ones) are best coded like this in forum posts:

Code:

[url=http://skiclub.co.uk]admin's favourite ski site[/url]

which will display like this: admin's favourite ski site
snow conditions
stanton wrote:
radar wrote:

I am not INTO defending airlines and I will never will when they wee wee-off customers.

Or at any other time, I expect.

And nobody has for one moment suggested you should.

But you are going the other way and attacking them, without any good reason.

Quote:

They always carried skis before what has changed?

Nothing relating to whether they can carry skis or not, which is why they all still do carry skis.

Quote:

It does not cost an extra €15-30 a pair of skis weighing 3.5K-5Kg to transport . It is disproportionate

If you work for the airlines (as you must to be able to make such a statement), then you should state your interest in a thread like this.

Not that "what it costs" is relevant. They are in business to make a profit, and I would expect them to make a profit on most of the things they charge for.

Quote:

Why not charge for Tennis Racquets, Wheel Chairs, Fat People etc ?

It will come (maybe the last won't, due to public opinion, but it still might).

Quote:

The business model is not working that's why people on this forum suffer.

In what way is this business model "not working"? The airlines using it seem to be the most successful ones.

And in what way are the people on this forum "suffering"?
ski holidays
stanton wrote:
alex_heney wrote:
stanton wrote:
alex_heney wrote:

Let the Airlines go under. This is only the beginning , before long you will be charged for all your luggage.

Of course.

Quote:

Precisely my point (which you are missing) .

Why on earth do you think there might be the slightest chance of my "missing" that point?

Not that you ever made it before this.

Quote:

They are focussing,attacking & charging the customer rather than lobbying the governments to reduce airport taxes,charges.

Rubbish. They are lobbying governments strongly. There is no "rather than" at all.

And they are not "attacking" customers, just changing their charging model to a fairer one. They also hope (of course) that this fairer model will result in higher income overall for them.

And of course they can to some extent hide the fact that overall charges will be higher for many passengers within the fact that the "headline" fares will be lower. Many passengers will only pay the headline fares though.

Quote:

Im already out the loop & understand this that's why i take the train. Very Happy

Relatively easy for you.

Not really practical for those of us living in the remoter regions of the UK.
ski holidays
radar, I think you're wrong if you look at the website, the changes to sporting equipment apply to all routes.
latest report
beanie1, I'll ask him again and post a reply later.
snow report
radar, excellent, would be good to have some clarification!
snow report
alex_heney wrote:
Rubbish. They are lobbying governments strongly. There is no "rather than" at all.

Are they?

ski holidays
Gazzza, Many thanks a similarly worded email from me has just been sent snowHead
snow report
achilles, thank you and Laughing
latest report
Quote:

Why not charge for Tennis Racquets

Well they will, won't they?. Sporting equipment.
snow conditions
beanie1, Your right my man at BA is embarrassed, they will charge in Europe as well Embarassed Mind you probably still work out cheaper than Ryanair
snow report
radar,
Quote:

Mind you probably still work out cheaper than Ryanair

do you think? The thing that gets me most is not that they've started to charge for ski carriage, but that they're charging the standard price for an extra bag, which is much more than you'd normally pay with another airline... And it's not just skiers they're going to alienate - all those golfers too!
snow conditions
Ho much does an extra bag cost with BA compared to the cost of ski carriage charged by the charter airlines, easyjet, Ryanair, etc?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, as ever, admin's favourite site can helpVery Happy

Quote:
Your weight allowance will now only be 23kg, meaning that if you were to pack ski clothing, boots and skis, you are likely to have to pay excess baggage charges.

For European flights, the rates for extra luggage weighing up to 32kg will be £28 if checked in online, or £35 if checked in at the airport.

For long haul flights to US resorts for example, the rates will be £40 for the first excess bag and a steep £90 thereafter.

For easyJet, the checked luggage allowance is 20 kg - which I find adequate for all hold luggage bar skis. Skis can be checked in -when the following applies:

Quote:
Sporting equipment

Each passenger is allowed a maximum combined hold baggage weight of 50kg including any sports equipment, subject to available space. The maximum weight for any single piece of baggage is 32kg.

Bicycles (1), golf equipment, and skis, surfboards, wind surfers, hang gliders, and firearms (2)

An additional non-refundable fee is charged per item per flight for the carriage of the above items as set out in our carrier’s regulations.

Payment of the additional fee increases your checked-in hold baggage allowance (including additional item) to a maximum weight of 32kg.

Where your total checked-in hold baggage weighs more than 32kgs, normal excess baggage charges as set out in our carrier’s regulations shall apply in addition to the above fee.

Referring to the carrier regulations, skis (as sporting equipment) are charged at £18.50 per flight if pre-booked, or £26 per flight if paid at the airport.

In a nutshell, the cost of baggage per flight for most with skis will be about £10 per flight less with easyJet than with BA.
snow conditions
achilles, thanks for that. So a return flight with BA needs to be £20 less than easyjet to be the same price overall. Bearing in mind BA have also abolished the delicious free sandwiches on short flights, so unless you're flying at breakfast time you won't get any food with them either.
ski holidays
beanie1, I think it's coming down to which airline serves a local airport best - plus whether you expect it still to be around when you're due to fly.
latest report
stanton,

Quote:

alex_heney wrote:
Are they?

Yes, but sensibly governments are not caving in. After all, there is plenty of tax on your train tickets and even more on car fuel.
For a £100 ticket the tax /landing fees amount to less than 40%.
ski holidays
achilles, thanks. Just to clarify, the BA price (£28 for an additional 23kg) is per flight or per return ticket?
snow report
i've got say i agree with pam w, when i realised that i could take skis free on top of my standard luggage allowance (booked before 31 July) I initially thought 'that can't be right, that's stupid' so the change is really just removing feature that really made no sense.

It can't possibly make sense that you would have to pay £X to take an extra suitcase but if your suitcase happens to be shaped like a pair of skis then you can take it free of charge.

having said that, i think reducing long haul baggage allowance to one checked bag is a joke. it should remain at 2 bags with one changeable for a pair of skis.
snow conditions
DrE wrote:
having said that, i think reducing long haul baggage allowance to one checked bag is a joke. it should remain at 2 bags with one changeable for a pair of skis.

For a ski holiday is there much of a baggage difference between longhaul and shorthaul? How much more stuff would you need for a fortnight in Whistler compared to a fortnight in Chamonix?
snow report
rob@rar, no difference in what I would pack.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
DrE wrote:

For a ski holiday is there much of a baggage difference between longhaul and shorthaul? How much more stuff would you need for a fortnight in Whistler compared to a fortnight in Chamonix?

The only difference is that I suspect many people would be more likley to go for 10 days or a fortnight if it was long haul, as opposed to a week for short haul.

Obviously, that is very much a generalisation, but it is generalisations which matter when looking at what commercial operators carrying tens of thousands of passengers offer.
snow report
alex_heney, yes, reasonable point although there are many exceptions to that (I'd need more luggage for a week's skiing in Europe than I would for a fortnight in the Caribbean, for example). So maybe a more customer-friendly approach would be to change baggage allowances on the basis of long duration or short duration trips rather than longhaul v. shorthaul?
latest report
rob@rar, at the end of the day the handling fee is the same for the baggage whether you go for a week or a month, so the duration of the trip is irrelevant. However, the cost of the ticket is much greater long haul therefore there is more capacity to absorb/hide any extra cost.
latest report
Gazzza wrote:
Linds wrote:
DrE wrote:

I used the Contact Customer Relations complaint webform.

Link here: http://www.britishairways.com/travel/custrelform/public/en_gb?refevent=contact_us

I put my booking ref in the main comments box and requested an explicit statement (not a link to a webpage) of the baggage allowance for my specific booking and explicit written confirmation that I was still entitled to the free item of sporting equipment.
Hope that helps.

Well that was a waste of time, I got a reply with a number for Customer Relations so I have replyed and asked again for it to be put in writing rolling eyes
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy