Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BA to charge for ski carrage

Poster: A snowHead
I don't take much more for 2 weeks than I do for one - just wash it more!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
beanie1, me2
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
But it's a great leap forward for airlines to sell single tickets (I well remember a few years remonstrating with BA who wanted to charge me £900 (really!) for a single Geneva trip). Tying baggage allowances to trip duration would complicate things - and it's hard to see why airlines would want to do it. It can only be a matter of time till you buy your ticket, then pay separately for the amount of tat you want to take with you. If airlines were only just being invented, that's surely what they would all do. Simple to understand and administer, fair all round.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w, don't think anyone's suggesting that, just that ski carriage should be a bit more reasonable?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
beanie1, Ryanair 1st bag £10 rest £20 each way, £10 online check in fee each way (unless you have bought an all inc fare offer), pay by credit card £10 fee.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
radar, However

Quote:
Any passenger exceeding their 15kg personal checked baggage allowance will be charged the prevailing fee on the day of travel. The excess baggage fee is currently charged at the rate of £15/€15 per kilo (or local currency equivalent).

Ho ho ho.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DrE wrote:
rob@rar, at the end of the day the handling fee is the same for the baggage whether you go for a week or a month, so the duration of the trip is irrelevant. However, the cost of the ticket is much greater long haul therefore there is more capacity to absorb/hide any extra cost.

If the handling fee for luggage is the same why should there be a different allowance for longhaul and shorthaul?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think regardless of the actual economics the faff factor of assessing true all-in cost will point me away from BA for European flights given that other airports are more convenient for me than LHR. Long haul costs are an issue - my personal travel pattern is that I will do long weekend to a week trips to Europe but a fortnight or so to North America. For the former I am happy with a single pair of skis, for the latter it is nice to have some quiver choice (or snowboard or teles).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
fatbob, I think that's a whole part of the marketing ploy. *All* of the airlines will have a faff factor assessing the true all-in cost.
I think all the airlines want it to be such a faff that you will automatically only check the price for 1 airline from your most convenient airport, and not compare costs from the opposition.

Funny thing is the EU/government rules to make airlines publish prices including all compulsory costs to make them more comparable, is actually driving them all (both no-frills and scheduled) to have so many optional extras in the name of fairness that it's impossible to easily compare any ticket price without doing a full booking on each right up to the point of committing the purchase.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar, like I say, because the ticket is more expensive and they should price in the fact that people are more likely on average to have the need for more luggage on long haul. That's been the situation up to now, where shorthaul you don't get many bags, longhaul you get more bags. the reason they can do it is because it's a smaller percentage of the ticket fee on long haul and hence less noticeable (if they priced it in at cost).

what they're saying now is that people generally only take one case (which is what i would usually take no matter where i'm going, unless i'm going skiing) and that they want to make some money. to be honest if they price the additional luggage fairly then it's a pretty reasonable course of action, but it does of course hit skiers.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
andy, agreed
at this rate buying car insurance will be a simple task compared to buying an airline ticket!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

what they're saying now is that people generally only take one case (which is what i would usually take no matter where i'm going, unless i'm going skiing) and that they want to make some money

I feel the airlines are being disingenuous with that argument. If almost everyone really only takes one bag they're not going to make much money, are they? Whenever I fly I seem to be surrounded by people with obscene amounts of luggage, in the cabin and in the hold.

The easiest way to compare fares would be for all baggage to be charged extra, at a clearly published unit cost. Comparing airlines would then be a piece of cake.

Commercially they should ratchet up the services for which there is inelastic demand. Judging by this thread, carrying skis is one of them.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If I ever had to pay extra for Ski Carriage I would expect it to be the first item to be off loaded from the plane & be waiting for me on the carousel Madeye-Smiley Why except less ?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Car and train are better for me anyway and this is the clincher AFAIAC..
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
JT wrote:
Car and train are better for me anyway and this is the clincher AFAIAC..

I booked our Christmas holiday this morning, after being prompted by this thread to make a decision about how we'd travel out. We live quite close to Heathrow, so no need for parking charges and mostly I've found that if I book in advance with BA they are competitively priced with easyjet if you factor in the cost of our parking at Gatwick or Luton. But the additional cost of ski carriage plus the cost of Christmas flights means it's cheaper for us to drive, so I booked our Eurotunnel crossing rather than our usual flights.
ski holidays
rob@rar, I booked my Eurotunnel crossing this afternoon. I wouldn't have been flying anyway, but this thread prompted me to get the Tesco vouchers out of my bag and book.
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, Tesco vouchers are flying us to NY next week Smile
snow report
rob@rar, I don't think I had enough for NY.
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont wrote:
rob@rar, I don't think I had enough for NY.

We get quite a lot of miles from Amex as well which normally gives us one longhaul flight a year.
latest report
I'm not sure what to reply to this thread with. I used to fly with BA on principle, even when they were slightly more expensive that other airlines all-in. My position has now changed - I think it is highly unlikely that I shall be using BA any more (once I've used my Executive Club airmiles), Air Canada to Canada, Emirates out east/south and someone cheaper to Europe. They've lost at least one regular customer... Sad

Unless... their prices drop in accordance with the cost reduction of charging for skis / some baggage they wouldn't have done before (granted this won't be anywhere near as much as the charges will be, but a £1 on principle...). But that's unlikely.

Walsh getting a complex about his compatriot?

If they hadn't agreed a ridiculously high fuel price just before the bottom fell out of the crude oil market then they might not be in quite such a predicament as they are... rolling eyes
snow report
Just had an email from BA to confirm that I can take my sporting goods for free in March Very Happy
latest report
pam w wrote:

I well remember a few years remonstrating with BA who wanted to charge me £900 (really!) for a single Geneva trip

Is that all? I once tried to book a single ticket with BA to Milan Malpensa; a return going out on the same flight cost £170...but when asked for a single the BA website wanted £2,756,000. A snip!

I did take a screenshot of the price, but seem to have lost it Sad
ski holidays
andy wrote:
Good luck getting a bag with built in ski-boot section and all your clothes+kit below 23kg. Or pay for business class Wink

No problem - mine weighs 19.5Kg for a week and 22Kg for 10 days.
snow conditions
davehk, Yup. My check-in bag weighs 20 kg, including boots, shovel and probe. Ryanairs 15kg would stuff me, though. And no, I don't want to take my boots in as carry-on!
latest report
achilles, I'll be flying Swiss Airlines or driving, its so much less complicated
ski holidays
achilles, do you know whether boots as carry on is allowed? wink
snow conditions
ChrisWo, Twisted Evil Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
ChrisWo, Laughing when I sent BA an email asking why they were wanting such a ludicrous price I got a very snotty answer going on about their pricing policy. Did you ask why they wanted over £2m? I think BA have moved with the times, eventually, in making single trips much easier but too little, too late, which seems to have been the story of their life recently.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, no, I never got round to asking - I always presumed I'd just get told that their website wasn't working properly! Think you're right, though - if they'd moved to allowing single trips earlier they would be in a much better position now.
ski holidays
ChrisWo wrote:
pam w, no, I never got round to asking - I always presumed I'd just get told that their website wasn't working properly! Think you're right, though - if they'd moved to allowing single trips earlier they would be in a much better position now.

Lets not forget building their own low cost airline then flogging it to their biggest short haul competitor as a turn key op and having a business model which fairly transparently skews against satisfying leisure travellers.
snow report
Rolled up at T5 last night to fly back to Buenos Aires. Checked in six pieces of luggage and four items of "sporting goods". One was my son's new bike in a cardboard box, which was oversize. The nice lady at the check in didn't bother putting it on the scales, just asked me how much it weighed. Same for the ski bag that contained "slighly" more than one pair of skis. And then my other son got upgraded to business class so he could sit with his brother. I've never had a problem with baggage on BA, but after reading the new rules on their website I can foresee trouble ahead for a lot of people. Even the desk staff seem totally confused. Another brilliant idea from Little Willie.
snow report
Maybe he's compensating... Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy