Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BA to charge for ski carrage

Poster: A snowHead
Just had this from BA groups dept.

British Airways has announced changes to their baggage policy to bring the World Traveller allowance on flights to and from the Americas (USA, Canada, Bermuda, Argentina, Mexico and the Caribbean) into alignment with the majority of British Airways routes around the world. The new policy will apply to customers who book and travel from 7 October 2009.

The changed allowances reflect customer behaviour on those routes – currently the vast majority of customers currently travel with only one bag.

Other changes include changes to baggage charges, including a reduction in the charge for the first extra bag on long haul flights.

British Airways will also no longer accept sporting equipment free of charge in addition to the normal free cabin allowance.

Sporting equipment that is checked in, in addition to the free allowance will be charged as an extra bag. The new sporting equipment policy will apply to customers who book after 31 July for travel after 7 October.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cheers Wayne, that make a difference. At least it's only the americas for now
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
nbt wrote:
Cheers Wayne, that make a difference. ....

You're not kidding.

Quote:
Charges per additional bag up to 23kg (51lbs)
Longhaul

£90 per bag (airport)

Though apparently there is a discount for paying in advance.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Surely they will have a special fee for sporting equipment though, and not just charge excess baggage?! Otherwise their Geneva fllights will be empty!!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
From BA Travel Trade web site - Europe

Only one travel case of equipment is permitted at no extra cost except where we state otherwise

I have e mailed them for some sort of confirmation. I "think" the new charge only applies to USA and other places over the pond, not Europe. Will post back when/if I get an answer
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wayne, US ski industry not going to be happy about that!! Will let my mate who works in marketing for a big resort know, he'll be fuming!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wayne, actually the way i read that it's only the first para that applies to US, the rest of it is across the board...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yeah i noticed this as i'm moving to canada later this month (and taking my skis) although obviously it won't affect me as it's before October.

Will it really have any impact on anyone? Given that the standard luggage allowance is 2 cases when going long haul, and that you can substitute one case for your skis and boots i don't think it should really cause much hassle. And if it does you should really look at why you are taking 2 case loads of stuff + skis to go on holiday for a couple of weeks!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dangerous strategy - BA totally undermining the leisure travel market pricing model on many long haul routes. Chasing the market down to lowest industry standards isn't going to help business pick up - it was always one of the ways they distinguished themsleves from sleazyjet etc.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Confusing.

Quote:
Sporting equipment

The changes to our sporting equipment policy will apply to bookings made from 31 July 2009, for customers travelling from 7 October 2009.
Changes to the carriage of sporting equipment

Sporting equipment will be included as part of your free checked baggage allowance.
If the number of bags exceed your free allowance you will be charged the excess baggage rate for each extra bag.
The heavy bag charge £30 ($50) will apply to all bags more than 23kg (51lbs) and up to 32kg (70lbs).
All sporting equipment (excluding the not acceptable for carriage list) will be accepted for travel only if they are packed correctly within the maximum weight and reduced maximum dimensions of 190cm x 75cm x 65cm (75in x 29.5in x 25.5in).

This appears to conflict with the advice Wayne was given - as I read it a ski bag less than 190cm in length goes free - provided that the weigh of it and your checked-in bag does not exceed the free baggage allowance.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DrE, don't think you read the full thing - they're abolishing the 2 bag rule. And 2 bags longhaul was standard for N. American flights only, not for the rest of the world.

So now (in economy) wherever you fly in the world with BA you are only allowed one bag, and for sporting equipment you'll have to pay for a whole extra bag, rather than a "ski carriage" charge which on other airlines is normally around £30 return. Currently if you paid for this at the airport it would be an extra £180 on a return flight for ski carriage, or if booked online in advance (from memory) about £140. That's a heck of a lot on top of a flight!!!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
achilles, I read it same as Wayne, I think that means they'll ONLY accept sporting equipment if the bag is less than 190cms long, but it'll be included in your free bag allowance (which is now one bag!!!)
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I booked a BA flight to Venice for next March as Easyjet was £130 with ski carrage BA was £95 inclusive and I'm glad I booked my flight in May Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The way I read it is that ski/board counts as one of your allowed checked bags. 2 bags to US/Canada, 1 to EU. So 1 bag + 1 set of skis costs £28 to EU or nothing to US/Canada so long as both are below 23kg. Good luck getting a bag with built in ski-boot section and all your clothes+kit below 23kg. Or pay for business class Wink

edit 240cm x 75cm x 65cm should be enough for skis/board, and it's a bit vague as to whether ski/board bag and boot bag counts as 1 or 2 items.
http://www.britishairways.com/travel/bagsport/public/en_gb
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just looked on the website, and as andy, says they're bringing the booked in advance charge down to £28 for the first extra bag (assuming that's each way). Plus another £40 each way (or £30 each way for your overweight main luggage bag!) if you want to take your boots too!

Will definitely be writing to BA to tell them how crazy this policy is, I suspect it makes easyjet and even Ryanair the more attractive option for skiers again, they must be rubbing their hands in glee!
snow report
As clear as mud as usual.
snow report
andy,

Quote:

edit 240cm x 75cm x 65cm should be enough for skis/board, and it's a bit vague as to whether ski/board bag and boot bag counts as 1 or 2 items.
http://www.britishairways.com/travel/bagsport/public/en_gb

I think that's the old size. From the BA website here:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/new-baggage-policy/public/en_gb

"All sporting equipment (excluding the not acceptable for carriage list) will be accepted for travel only if they are packed correctly within the maximum weight and reduced maximum dimensions of 190cm x 75cm x 65cm (75in x 29.5in x 25.5in)."
ski holidays
someone needs to remind BA that short skis suck and long skis truck Mad

anyway, seems you just need to get a big ski bag which will fit your boots and other junk then put the rest in hand luggage. so not the end of the world
ski holidays
Arno, actually BA do have a 2 hand baggage allowance, so i suppose that's something! not sure i could fit all my ski gear in my weekend bag though Sad
latest report
apologies beanie1, to be honest i hadn't read it as i booked my tickets before July so old rules apply for me, and I assumed that the new rule was that sporting equipment was now carried as part of your allowance instead of in addition to it - i'm actually astounded that they have in addtion reduced long haul baggae to one bag, that's nuts! i guess it'll be mass defection to virgin? what's their policy like?
latest report
Helen Beaumont, definitely. My first rule of checking anything in is print everything out and be prepared for an argument at check in. The more "no frills" the airline is, the more important it is to do so.

beanie1, yep you're right about the new sizes.

Didn't see anything anywhere that stated per leg, per direction or per return journey.

Glad I only need to drive or hop on a train to find snow.
snow report
I'm a bit gutted about this actually, as i have a return flight from HK to use (which i'm planning to go skiing with) at some point this winter. Although ive already bought the flight, i'll have to change the date of it so assuming new rules will apply. Looks like it'll be Cathay in future then!! (assuming they have free ski carriage?!)
snow conditions
beanie1, I think you'll have problems with them, unfortunately.
snow report
andy, at least I can hop onto whatever transport to France I please, and get my skis out of the cellar when I arrive.
snow conditions
I see they have cancelled their London City to Lyon route as well. Clearly the skiing market isn't a big earner for them, or soon won't be.
ski holidays
The Ski Rental Shops should be laughing at this !!!
ski holidays
I've used BA for my bi-annual Calgary commute for the last few years because for £500ish (when their summer sale happens), I could get myself, two bags, a ski bag, a boot bag, and then two bits of hand luggage on with no hassle. Then last year they dropped to 23kg a bag and an excess (iirc £25 a bag?) to go to 32 - that was an back bottom, but I still used them this year. Guess this'll be the last year I bother.

I already have my return flight booked, so just to confirm, I'm alright to take their usual baggage allowance right?
snow report
Arno wrote:
someone needs to remind BA that short skis suck and long skis truck Mad

anyway, seems you just need to get a big ski bag which will fit your boots and other junk then put the rest in hand luggage. so not the end of the world

I can just about do this for a weekender under the baggage limit with a coffin bag - usually needs at least 1 ski boot in the hand luggage to be comfortable on sub 23kg though. Long haul where I might prefer to tak more than 1 pair of skis its a disaster.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
achilles, hmm, looking at this though:

http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_INTL/helpingyoutravel/sportingequipment

It seems that if you're overweight your sporting equipment is only charged as 3kgs of excess baggage, so probably will work out cheaper than the BA £28 each way. Plus they're often cheaper to start with!!
ski holidays
I have just sent this to BA groups - will post back the reply.

Hi

Thanks for the e mail this morning regarding the recently introduced “ski carriage” charges.

I have followed the link within your mail and have been taken to the section of the BA Trade Site which refers to European flights, but I have noted from your mail (1st paragraph) that the new charges are specifically applicable to North American destinations. Sorry but I’m a little lost with this as the Trade Section still refers to the free carriage of skis and boots.

Please would you confirm, either way, and without simply providing me with another link to a web page, whether the new charges are applicable to our clients – travelling to European destinations.

As you will appreciate, with the size of our groups, any alteration to the term of carriage would be a considerable extra cost and it may not be possible to justify them to the clients.

Whilst it is always (technically) possible to simply refer the client to our T&C’s, this rarely results in a positive interpretation of the situation, from their point of view.

Sorry to be a pain I really do need an "unambiguous" confirmation stating whether the new charges are application to our European out and in bound flights.

Following on from the recent alterations to the BA uplift schedules, I would not wish to have to write to our clients "again" advising them of yet another BA problem.

Many thanks

latest report
beanie1, take a look at the dimensions restrictions - as I read them, in practice it means no skis. Sad
snow report
Just recieved - seems it's only long haul

Hi Wayne

We have not been notified at the moment of any changes to the Euro traveler/club Europe baggage policy.

Many Thanks

Jaclyn

Jaclyn Thomas
Groups Co-ordinator
ski holidays
Quote:

at the moment

wink
ski holidays
Wonder if I should cancel my flights... Dec 1st isn't a worry but I'm slightly concerned BA won't be around to fly home in May! Should be able to get a full refund since they just changed my times...
snow report
[quote="DaveC"]

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 4-08-09 13:44; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Why cant these Airlines just write it in "black & White"? i.e

Free One checked hold bag 23Kg + Free 1 pair ski or snowboard carriage.

or

Free One checked hold bag 23Kg.

1 pair ski or snowboard extra charge.

They must get hundreds of emails every season asking for clarification on there baggage policies !!!!
ski holidays
stanton, probably because the authors never went through decent English classes during which they would have come across Plain Words and the like.
ski holidays
achilles wrote:
beanie1, take a look at the dimensions restrictions - as I read them, in practice it means no skis. Sad

Not with most modern skis, I would have thought.

It isn't that easy to find ski bags that will take skis longer than 180 now, and that size of bag will not be more than the 190cm allowed.

The hard ski cases might not fit the dimensions though.
snow report
Wayne, That's from Jaclyn in Groups ... as you well know you are able to agree specific terms with them. Bit unfair to add to the (understandable) confusion on here with specific responses to yourself as a 'Groups Customer ( with specific unpublished agreements)' --NO?
ski holidays
alex_heney, depends how you read it. In beanie1's link under sporting equipment

Quote:

* One pair of skis, one pair of ski poles, one pair of boots..........

If over the free Checked Baggage Allowance, equipment will be assessed at a special excess baggage rate equivalent to 3kg (6.6lbs) of the applicable excess baggage rate.

The Checked Baggage Allowance tells us

Quote:
158cm (62in) 7

And Note 7 says

Quote:
length + height + width, in any combination.

Don't know about your skis, mine are 178cm long - so I would have to pay excess. If I have read everything correctly, of course. I am trying to wrap up work at the moment - so I haven't double checked everything, though.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy