Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serfaus c/w Lech c/w Ischgl

Poster: A snowHead
I've looked back through the old posts about Serfaus, and it does appear to be a good resort to go to. Lech is my favourite - I know the area, I like to be able to ski all day i.e. to Zürs or St.Anton to Stuben etc. The off-piste is good for me to learn on. I also like to sit outside one of the bars in the evening and chat to people etc. The hotels are nice and cosy etc. I thought Ischgl had fabulous skiing but I didn't see the best of it because we had blizzard conditions all week bar one day. That day I did some fun off-piste with a ski instructor. I may have missed something but I thought Ischgl was quite quiet in the late afternoons. All the apres was in darkened clubs. The hotel we stayed in was nice (Brigitte) but not the same level of comfort
as the Lech hotels. I like the (overdone) Austria theme.
Anyway, what's Serfaus like compared to Lech - for the skiing, the hotels, the food, the apres?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
erica2004, equal in every respect! The skiable area in Serfaus Fiss Ladis is enormous, and there is a ton of off piste to play with! I would either stay in Serfaus of Fiss. From Ladis it's a bit of treck to get into the main area.
They make a point of NOT doing mindless apres ski characteristic of St.Anton and Ischgl, but maintain a very relaxed ambiente throughout the villages. Quality is high, on a par with Lech in my opinion.

Try it, you won't regret it.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Steilhang, ok - thanks!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Steilhang, thanks for the comments. We're considering running a couple of instruction-based weeks in Serfaus next season, and all feedback on the village and the skiing is much appreciated. I think Cathy went there last season and liked it a lot.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
erica2004, I haven't been to Lech or Ischgl so can't compare Serfaus to either but I did really like Serfaus, both the village and the skiing area - a bit more in this thread. Gortonators' blog is well worth a read (linked in his signature in that thread) although he stayed in Fiss. Good variety of skiing with high up above tree level and also tree runs. Some nice long runs, there's a couple of 10km ones, and, apparently, some good blacks wink . The snow was very good when we there, 2nd week of March, and we've booked again for next season, same time.

There are definitely some lovely hotels there, but out of our price range Sad . I'm sure you've seen there's an underground railway runs the length of the village, from the main car park at one end to the bubbles up the mountain at the other, with a few stops imbetween. There is a piste that comes back to halfway along the stretched out village otherwise they come back to the main bubble area. A very German area, we only heard English voices once, over in Fiss. There's some very nice restaurants as well as cheap pizzerias etc, a few umbrella bars and other bars. The OH had an accident after only a couple of days so there was lots we didn't do. They have night skiing on Wednesday together with an excellent show and fireworks up on the mountain - not to be missed! Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
cathy, Thankyou! I think we might plan a week for late Jan. Where did you stay ? I hope your OH is well now!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
erica2004, we stayed at the Haus Komperdell http://www.haus-komperdell.at/index_en.html which was just fine but not the sort of hotel you'd be after - there are plenty of top class hotels in Serfaus. The OH is fine now thanks although his back still twinges sometimes - such a shame it stopped him doing any work around the house for aaages rolling eyes
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
erica2004, tough decisions! I'm a bit of a fan of Lech myself. It gets incredible snow, virtually no crowds and has superb terrain with the whole Arlberg region. I'd put Ischgl and Serfaus-Fiss pretty much on par in terms of skiing. Maybe Serfaus shades Ischgl in terms of more variety and some great long on/off piste runs, but with its altitude Ischgl seems to have top quality stuff. We were deluged with powder at all 3, so no complaints snow wise on any of them. If you're bored and persue my blog, there's lots of pics/etc there on all 3.

We're planning a return trip this winter, splitting two weeks between 2 of these 3. They're all great, so its a tough call. Ambiance is certainly different though. We're not 'stay in luxury hotels (3 start hotel garni B&B is norm) with half board' folks, and prefer seeking out local restaurants in the evenings to sample traditional fare, wine, beer. I actually preferred Fiss in this respect. There were 2-3 outdoor apres bars which were hilarious, and enough small and good quality places to eat to easily fill a week. And all were busy, buzzing places, very reasonably priced. Great fun. Very German tho (which suits us fine!). If you looked around Ischgl, there were similar places, and Lech has several which are excellent but a little pricier, and seemingly a little more sedate. Of course the people-watching in Lech is unbeatable Smile

We're leaning Lech (mostly becasue the snow is as reliable as it gets and we've found an excellent little hotel) and one of the others - probably where the best deal can be had. Would like to try and stay in Serfaus just to see what it's like, but Fiss was actually lovely.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
cathy, It looks very nice. gortonator, I'm leaning towards self-catering because of the reasons you state. I do prefer Austrian grub and whilst the hotels provide wonderful food, I sometimes get a bit fed up with the 'richness' of it. Give me a plate of spätzle any day ! However, I do like to go to the hotel after skiing and get all cosy. Going out again in the cold after a bath isn't one of my favourite things. We always spend a week or two every year in Lech and I do love it there.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
erica2004, Yep, we did HB a couple of times and it wassurprisingly good food. Just too much/rich every night.

I always enjoy a good sauna after an apres beer or two, and must admit it takes an hour or so before we can summon the energy to head out for dinner. I find a good glass of wine or two before helps fight the cold! Actually quite enjoy a walk in the evenings - can't be bad for the legs either!!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
have been keeping an eye on threads for Serfaus. We are looking week running up to Christmas what is the snow record like for Serfaus, might Ischgl be a better bet with ? What self catering accommodation is available in either
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pembsflyer wrote:
have been keeping an eye on threads for Serfaus. We are looking week running up to Christmas what is the snow record like for Serfaus, might Ischgl be a better bet with ? What self catering accommodation is available in either

I'd guess Ischgl is more reliable due to altitude, but this is a guess. They have an awful lot of snowmaking at Serfaus, and a fair percentage of terrain is high. Someone may know?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
erica2004, We went to Zurs this year and Serfaus the year before (both at half term); they rate 1 & 2 in our all time list of resorts visited so far (12 of us decide on the venue each year). Serfaus was cheaper, more family orientated (especially good for very young kids), quieter. Zurs and the surrounding area was more varied, more spread out and generally has something that you can't quite explain.
Our first choice for a return visit would be Serfaus though.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pembsflyer, I saw heaps of self catering in Ischgl last year - look for 'Garnis' on the website. Ischgl skiing is quite high. You take a gondola out of the village and go up for about 1000m. So I should think the snow at about 2400m would be as good as anywhere. The run back to the village is fun though. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi all - confess I've been lurking and thought I'd break my duck when I saw Serfaus come up - done a number of seasons in the Tirol including seasons/half seasons in each of Ischgl, St Anton and Serfaus, and think its interesting that the latter is finally breaking into the UK market!

Pembsflyer - snow wise, as gortonator suggests, the snow in Lech is very reliable, and over the course of a season it probably gets twice as much as Serfaus/Ischgl, even though as the crow flies its around 30km away. The off piste is better too- more hidden terrain, which, accordingly, doesn't get tracked as fast (although probably best to get a guide for this- some of the stuff can get pretty hairy). Ischgl and Serfaus are equal in both altitude and location (they're in adjacent valleys- I've toured from Serfaus to Samnaun and back in a day on my skis). Serfaus shades it for me on skiing as the area is not as busy, and there is more tree skiing. That said, there are NO bump runs in Serfaus, which is almost unbelievable and a big blot on the area in my book.

On piste in Serfaus is superb- massive vistas, wide runs and a variety of different pitches. Lech also has cracking piste skiing although the lift system is slightly more creaky in places (but still generally excellent- way ahead of what you get in Tignes, for example). Ischgl also has great piste skiing, although when the weather comes in your options can become rather limited quite quickly if you want to play dodge the whiteout.

I'd rank them as follows:

Snow- 1 Lech 2= Serfaus and Ischgl
Apres - 1 Ischgl 2 Serfaus 3 Lech
On piste 1 Serfaus 2 Lech 3 Ischgl
Off piste 1 Lech 2 Serfaus 3 Ischgl
Hotel quality all equal
Hotel price 1 Serfaus 2 Ischgl 3 Lech
Lift system 1 Ischgl 2 Serfaus 3 Lech

TBH though, you can't really go far wrong with any of them! I'm off to all 3 next season!
snow report
Welcome to snowHeads W94, great first post! snowHead And yes, I am extremely jealous of you next season! Very Happy When will you be in Serfaus?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 4-08-09 18:45; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Interesting you reckon Ischgl's lift system is better than Serfaus - I though Serfaus' lifts were fab!! Just interested, what pips the post for Ishgl?
ski holidays
Thanks! Will be back in Serfaus either early Jan or early March- already getting itchy feet!

I agree that Serfaus has 1st class lifts, but I don't think there is enough uplift out of the village- particularly to Komperdell and Fiss. Ischgl is pretty good in that regard. The lines for Pezid and Plansegg can also be rather nasty, although at least the new Gampen 8er has taken a bit of pressure off there! Would like to see more Serfaus-Fiss links too, although apparently this is in the pipeline!
snow report
W94, Great post.
Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
I have just purchased flights for mid Jan and think Serfaus would be a good place to aim for, I will however have 2 of my "kids" in tow(22 and 1Cool and wondered if they will have a night life if they want it in Serfaus?
snow report
I've been researching Serfaus too and really would like to go but the package deals there are v pricey. I know its not too far from Innsbruck but does anyone know what the drive is like, bit hairy or fairly straightforward as will have family in tow? Looking at self catering or the Hotel Garni type places that will do Sunday to Sunday trying to make it affordable as Easyjet prices cheapest then rolling eyes

W94, your post has made me even more determined to try to get there!
latest report
Rowlski, check out flights to Freidrichshafen out of stansted....no taxes!!!!!
snow report
northantsred - Apres would be fine for both- albeit that it takes slightly different forms! Patschi near the bottom of the main slope to town is always a sound bet for a beer or four

rowlski - the drive from innsbruck is pretty straightforward- about 1hr on an autobahn followed by a slightly twisty road for 6 km to get up to the resort. Tends to be kept pretty clear too. Only risk with innsbruck is that they shut it and you get sent to Munich...
latest report
Rowlski, as a passenger wink the drive seemed fairly straightforward. Go along the main A12 autobahn from Innsbruck heading towards St Anton. You turn off, go through a long tunnel, the Zams tunnel?, and then climb from the valley up the mountain which is a normal type of mountain road, through Fiss and then Serfaus. This map gives a general idea http://en.serfaus-fiss-ladis.at/static/portal/_shared/pdf/Ausflugsziele_GB.pdf . Serfaus is a bit different to most Austrian resorts as it is actually up the mountain not in the valley
latest report
Thanks cathy sounds like an emminently doable journey even with family Smile

northantsred, the prices to Freidrichshafen are seriously tempting and that's even doing the more accomodation friendly Saturday to Saturday and flight time options, thanks wouldn't have thought of that. Now need to investigate the journey from there, presume you have already given you're looking at it, how far is it?

Serfaus definitely looks doable with those flight prices even factoring in hire car.
ski holidays
Had a look using the route planner on Serfaus website and it says 110 miles and a little over 2 hours. Sounds reasonable though it looks like it goes through the Vorarlberg and can't tell from the map if its trying to go through any passes that would be shut in winter ...
ski holidays
Rowlski, I have had my eye on these flights for a week or two and finally committed last night because they had gone up 400% and then taxes were being introduced on some of them!!! So I thought I would buy now and sort everything else later. That's four of us for £100.00 return Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
Haven't looked at the drive but Austrian roads are usually cleared very quickly, they have had plenty of practice over the years.
Down side is car hire, quite expensive for some reason?
latest report
northantsred, yep car hire is pretty pricey, looks the same from Innsbruck too though. Prices are great, bizarely the flight cost for my (will be) just under 2 year old is 4 times the price of the adult fare and they don't even get a seat or baggage allowance!!? Go figure, bliddy airlines.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
serfaus is fantastic for families. skied there last season and it was super. more details on another serfaus post. its-
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1243655&highlight=#1243655
especially check out the apartments i suggested in that post. re driving to serfaus make sure you have snow chains as last leg of journey is very steep. just befors we started our return trip to airport coming from either it snowed heavily for 2xhrs and caused havoc in the town especially for those trying to get in to serfaus. its only the last 5 miles thats high the rest is fine. have driven there from munich and friedrichshafen airports. cant comment on the other as iv not been, YET!
snow report
creedgearoid, roughly how long did the drive from Friedrichshafen take you? Also any recommended car hire companies? As mentioned above they seem to be quite pricey!
ski holidays
from airport it took about 2.5 hrs but that was before the new tunnel was built, should take min .5hr off time now, its a very easy drive. airport is v small which in my opinion is a good thing as its very easy to get in/out of. we used avis last time and found them reasonable. lately we have used autoeurope and find them very competitive pricewise and sometimes you will see offers on there list with snow tyres inc in price, snow tyres can be a bit of a rip off. just checked avis for a week in jan from friedrichshafen for a passat estate and its 273 not incl tyres r chains, in comparison munich airport is about 300 eu for the same car and week so I dont know where you are looking that makes you think this airport is expensive for car hire.
any other Q I will answer if i can.
latest report
creedgearoid, thanks for the info, sounds like a reasonable drive. I got similar quotes though was about £300, Innsbruck was similar price, didn't think Friedrichshafen was pricer just that either seems like a lot for one weeks car hire ... but still looks like the best option. I'll have a look at Autoeurope, forgot about them, they got us best price for hire car in Norway once, about £500 now that really is expensive but everything is off the scale price wise in Norway!
latest report
Finally put together a video from our Montafon/Lech/Fiss trip in March this year - see:

http://youtube.com/v/GBXGHcaLSVE

We certainly has some great snow, and a really fantastic time! Highly recommended ski areas ...
ski holidays
gortonator, great video - Serfaus/Fiss looked great! snowHead I didn't spot us in the background but did see one of the guys in a greatcoat that we saw quite often.
ski holidays
Great holiday! lovely to see Serfaus- currently planning trip for March 2010 there, and cant wait.
You had fantastic snow, and looks like real fun place. Thanks for sharing.
snow report
lizski, it was truly fun indeed. Lech again and Ischgl this year (Galtuer actually). Should be a hoot, snow gods permitting ...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy