Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val Thorens: advice please on risk of no skiing due to high wind

Poster: A snowHead
Hi
Planning a trip in early January and thinking of VT. I've been to 3-V quite a lot, but mainly stayed in Courchevel. Would appreciate advice on how often it's impossible to ski at all because all the lifts close due to high winds. I've heard that this happens, but is it just a myth; a rare event; or a frequent occurrence? If it happens, is it possible/easy to ski further down the valley?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If it does happen you can take a flat red (don't know why its marked as a red in reality its the flattest cat track in the 3v) down to les menuires where the lifts should be open and then ove to meribel from there where the weather will be nice. When we went last jan the slopes had been destroyed by riddiculosly high winds and vt had the worst snow of the 3v
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rambotion, bit of a risk that the linking lifts will close in high winds, so causing a problem on return?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
DCG, La Masse, out of Les Menuires were open in April in quite high winds when upper lifts of Val T and links to 3v were shut. We're booke for New Year in Val T. achilles, my thoughts too
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DCG, it might be a bit bleak up there in January, even when most of the lifts are open?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
achilles, there's a shuttle bus back up even if the lifts are closed I think
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
achilles, I've done it before but it probably was a bit stupid.

I just much prefer the other two valleys to the val thorens and les menuires one and if I were you I would stay in mottaret, Its quite high, easy access to the rest of the 3v and less queing i the morning.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Been twice to VT at the end of January. We lost 1 -2 days on both holidays due to high winds and the lifts shutting.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I went on a Friday to Monday stay to VT last December - we lost Sunday due to very high winds. It also swept what fresh snow there was off the piste and left it elsewhere. We just about skied down to to the Furnitel de peclet main ski office, looked at the map, found out that all but the Retour was closed and then took about 2hrs to walk back to the Hotel rolling eyes . When it blows up there believe me it BLOWS!!!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I went last Jan 2-10th i believe and lost part of 1 day with high winds. whilst meribel and corchevel were fine. Also that 'red' to les menuires is an absolute ball ache its unbelievably flat for a long period of time.... Buggered if your a boarder...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Skied VT 3 consecutive sesons in January, only lost half a day once and that was mainly it was snowing so heavily the kids weren't enjoying it
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks everyone for the input. The sort of experience that jan, Megamum and Twitchy87 had is what I was concerned about. In somewhat over 50 weeks skiing, I've only had about 3-4 days when I couldn't ski - and that's been mainly rain in lower resorts. Might rethink and try to stay in Les Menuires. Not sure whether that would be any more reliable.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Been there in Jan when most of the place was shut down due to avalanche risk. One of the blocks next to the piste was inundated up to 4th or 5th floor but the piste bashers worked all night so that, in the morning, you could only tell by the tide mark on the side of the building!

You can certainly expect it to be c-c-cold. We often used to see -18 while we were waiting around for lessons.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DCG,
In 7 visits to the 3 v's in 4 years I've only ever had one day lost to severe weather. (Dec 2008) Actually many more due to excess beer and ski-ing related injuries !!! By any point of reference the day in Dec 2008 was VERY bad, even Les Men was shut! I think someone even had a You Tube vid showing Les Men, no doubt it will be located and linked here soon.

I have had many days where the 3V connections were closed due to high winds. Being 'stuck' in VT or the Les Menuire Valley usually isnt a problem. That valley alone has a good number of lifts to choose from.
I wouldnt hesitate in recommending VT to anyone, but be realistic , it is high. 2000 - 2300m is where the town is !
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
BMF_Skier wrote:
DCG,
In 7 visits to the 3 v's in 4 years I've only ever had one day lost to severe weather. (Dec 2008) Actually many more due to excess beer and ski-ing related injuries !!!
I wouldnt hesitate in recommending VT to anyone, but be realistic , it is high. 2000 - 2300m is where the town is !

Thanks, for this additional input. I usually do go high and am used to strong winds. It's just that most places I've been to do have a bale-out option in those circumstances:
Tignes in Les Brevieres
Val d'Isere in the trees above La Daille
Courchevel in La Tania or Le Praz
etc
ski holidays
DCG, Just to make the sum add up for you my day in Dec is the same day as BMF_Skier, describes. That high wind event though wouldn't put me off - I just love the place and a little bit of me is still up there.
latest report
OT, there are 400-500 Young Farmers types going to VT 2-9 Jan. Beer sales will be up!
snow conditions
e.g., Take lots of money, beer is not cheap in VT. Sad You could buy it by the case in Moutiere and send it up the hill on a combine? wink
snow report
e.g., VT lock up your wives, daughters, and...oh yes luckily the sheep are safely down the valley. wink
As a wet fish I'm not sure whether I'm glad I'm leaving that day or not...

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 3-08-09 11:32; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Better make that 500-600 Young Farmers types in VT, but not me. From experience any supermarkets will be stripped bare of beer on day one. Price doesn't seem to be too much of an issue.
snow conditions
After all this advice, was torn between VT and Les Menuires, but eventually decided to be optimistic and go for VT. Was there 2-9 Jan and had a great time. Poor vis on Sunday, snow on Monday then sunshine for a few days and more snow/poor vis to round off. Lots of wind, but it didn't stop us getting out. Most interesting experience was due to the wind. On the last day there was about 10cms of snow that had fallen after the pistes had been bashed. A strong wind coming directly down the piste (from either Peclet or Moraine, can't remember which) had blown the snow into waves. So as we ski'd down the piste we were effectively surfing these waves. Very strange! You regularly see the wind effect off piste and it's often crusty, but I've never seen it like this on piste. Thanks again for all the input and in particular to those who had been positive about VT.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy