Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Design your own snowboard - anyone tried this?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey Snowheads!

I'm quite interested in designing my own snowboard and just wondered if anyone has any experience in doing so, or any opinions on specific companies that do a good job.

I've googled around a bit and found some sites that seem pretty professional, some have web based tools for you to upload your own pictures etc, and others have a template to fill with your own design.

I'd say I was an intermediate to advanced boarder. I've been a good few times now, but have only owned one board (a 159 Devun Walsh Forum wide), I want to sell this and treat myself to a new board with my own one-of-a-kind design. I'm prepared to pay a bit more for a bespoke board, but I'd like to know what the quality of these design-your-own boards would be like.

I can't seem to find any UK sites that offer this service, if anyone knows of one it'd be appreciated. (though some of the sites I have found do offer a delivery service to the UK - at a price)

The sites I've had a look at (and play with) are:

http://www.rideharder.com/revolution/build_a_board.php - Utah based company, nice web-based board making software.

http://www.series13.com/Chooser/default.asp?ReturnURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eseries13%2Ecom%2FDefault%2Easp - Burton's design-your-own-snowboard service. really nice web-based tools, with nice boards and an even nicer price. note only the top is fully customisable.

http://www.boarddesigner.com/ - good online designer, though some of the results in the gallery look a little... crap?

There were a couple more, but I can't find them at the moment.

Any thoughts or help appreciated.

Mike.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
depending on a few things I might be doing a series13 board. Depends on the cost price as opposed to the retail price.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm not a boarder, but I'm just a little intrigued. Do you get to design the physical flex and stiffness etc. in a board by applying a set of standard adjustments that can be built into a board as and when it is made for you, or are you just designing the top coats? Have tried all the links and my system doesn't like some and wants log ins for others, so I haven't been able to fix my curiosity (which is all it is!)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Megamum, with the series13 you are doing a bit of both. You can change the flex depending on the board choice, design the top sheet, change the base a little (PINK Smile ) and add custom text.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for your thoughts guys,
As much as I love the idea of a custom board built just for me (especially the series 13 ones) I don't think I'm prepared to spend that much on a board just yet. I'm not even sure I could think of a design that I'd be happy with.

I think I'm just going to keep an eye out for a board I like the look of. I suppose I can always customise it with a funky stomp pad (like this one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330306874865&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT ) Or some decals.

If any further people do read this and have experience of a custom built board, I'd still love to hear a bit about their build quality etc.

cheers,

Mike.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Megamum, flex and stiffness (is there a difference?) can be checked out in design using a modern CAD plug-in something like
COSMOS - I would not be surprised if professional board manufacturers use it - together with past experience and empirical testing.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I can understand I suppose the attraction in being able to design your own top coat, but I wonder how many boarders (and for that matter skiers if offered the same service) would be able to express in the appropriate terms the idea and degree of stiffness and in what part of the board it was necessary to truely design your own unique board in terms of physical attributes as well as asthetics (Sp?)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy