Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

News Report 'Ski Helemets can cut injuries by half'

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The Daily Telegraph have today reported on a study by Univeristy of Alberta, Canada on the effectiveness of ski helemets preventing injury.

Ski patrols in 26 resorts took part in the survey, sending in accident reports over the full season. Out of 4,000 injuries, 693 were head injuries and 70%of these were concussion. Correctly wearing a helmet would greatly reduce this figure and prevent head injuries by as much as 29-56%. This figure may evan be an underestimate if the helmets were worn incorrectly , in poor condition, or not designed to be worn skiing. Only about 5% of adult skiers and snowboarders are estimated to wear helmets.

Since my wake up call last season of a bang on the head, I personally wear a Giro 9.9 and am very happy with it.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I reckon you and David Goldsmith read the same paper! wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oh, I think we do!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Do "Helemets" have little propellors on the top to lift u out of the way of an on-coming avalanche? wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
u brain, no, they'e glove-like garments worn by chopper pilots.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Do "Helemets" have little propellors on the top to lift u out of the way of an on-coming avalanche?

If they do it's essential to fasten the chinstrap - otherwise, the helemet takes off without you and you're left doing the usual breaststroke or doggy paddle in the avalanche.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
No skanky, your thinking of Helemits. An easy mistake to make but one with potentially disastrous consequences.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
u brain, I was thinking phonetically.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Talking about 'hele'mets, my ski guide pointed out two of his friends who were going to ski off piste. They were wearing what looked like full rucksacks, but as he pointed out, they were actually airbags. By the collar of their ski jackets were little white tubing bits. Apparently in the event of an avalanche, they would pull these bits and the airbags would inflate and lift them up (well that is the idea anyway).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Are you sure they weren't fridges?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi Everyone

After 15 years of skiing, I wore a helmet for the first time this year, as we seem to be clocking up more and more miles both on and off piste and at faster speeds (in control might I add). I found my helmet didnt restrict me at all and it kept my head warm on even the coldest of days. My reasons being I want to keep on skiing for years and years to come and It may just be too late if you have an accident to say 'oh I'll wear a helmet next year' the head and brain are delicate areas and should be protected.

Might I add my next purchase will be a spine protector, again I want to prolong my skiing career and I own my own business so can't afford any time off at all due to injury, illness or accident.

I only found this site at the back end of last year and I think it is a fantastic site frequented by a great skiing community and I now find my self having to check the site daily to find any new posts or ski news, its great.

Thanks Everyone
Alpinebullit Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The airbags are recommended by an instructor and guide I know well. He also says that they (and helmets) are no protection against rocks which, when you are slammed into them, tend to break your bones. His views are 1) if you are scared of avalnches then don't ski or at least don't ski off-piste and 2) when he feels he needs to wear a helmet he will give up skiing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy