Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Craft Clothing

Poster: A snowHead
I discovered a new technical clothing brand today. Went to Tacky Max today and came home with a 'Craft' L2 Sofia waist length jacket. It's got a nice fleecy liner and appears to have a nice technical feeling fabric to the top surface, it's also lovely and light. Also, seems to have a different fabric at places that need to breath more like elbows etc. It was marked down to £10 on the clearance line, but rung in at the till for £9.79 for some reason.

I came home and looked up the brand, which I don't recall seeing discussed here before. Seems to be a fairly high end tech. clothing brand esp. for cycling, running and nordic skiing. The jacket seemed bang on the mark at that sort of cash and I was already thinking it might do for cycling and for my walking trip to the lakes in a few weeks time. knowing how folks on here like good base layers (and they seem to do loads) I just thought it might be worth running the brand name past people and suggesting that they may be worth a look as winter approaches.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
£10 included VAT at 17.5%, £9.79 includes it at 15%.

I wouldn't describe Craft as "high end tech" by an stretch, but at a tenner you've got a real bargain. Presumably you went in to TM in disguise?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hyweljenkins, Very Happy Very Happy I like bargains, esp. ones I can get use out of. Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Megamum wrote:
hyweljenkins, Very Happy Very Happy I like bargains, esp. ones I can get use out of. Very Happy Very Happy
Bright orange is it? wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
BMF_Skier, the lining is Razz Navy outer
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
On a slightly different thread.... sorry

How do people rate dare 2 b clothing?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
wingman, Could kind of guess you're new around here. Try this but be warned it tends to wander a bit. rolling eyes rolling eyes
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=45728&highlight=dare2b
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
wingman wrote:
On a slightly different thread.... sorry

How do people rate dare 2 b clothing?

Very good - do you want the 5 minute argument? http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=45728
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think if a newcomer ever wants to know what constitutes a thread highjack, they should be pointed here - I think this is close to setting a record of fastest takeover Laughing
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Megamum, Can't argue with those prices eh.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Craft might not be high tech clothing, and it might not even be all that famous, but as base layer (that's pretty much all my experience with Craft), there's nothing better then Craft. In my racing days, we got pretty much everything, from Maser, through Mico, Odlo, Lofler etc. etc. and nothing came even close to Craft. Maybe Craft doesn't look as fancy as something else, but it certainly works a lot better then huge majority of much fancier and way more expensive clothes (first one which comes on my mind is Falke... extremely expensive and extremely crappy, but it does looks cool Smile)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I might pop to our local TKM and see if they've got any. Sounds good. Thanks Megamum.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Megamum, Take a brolly just in case. wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
primoz wrote:
Craft might not be high tech clothing, and it might not even be all that famous, but as base layer (that's pretty much all my experience with Craft), there's nothing better then Craft. In my racing days, we got pretty much everything, from Maser, through Mico, Odlo, Lofler etc. etc. and nothing came even close to Craft. Maybe Craft doesn't look as fancy as something else, but it certainly works a lot better then huge majority of much fancier and way more expensive clothes (first one which comes on my mind is Falke... extremely expensive and extremely crappy, but it does looks cool Smile)

I'd echo the above comments. From what I've scene Craft clothing is very popular with the XC skiers, especially the Scandies (I guess you would expect that Craft being Swedish). I seem to recall also seeing one of the cycling teams in the Tour De France wearing it too

I've a bargain Craft waterproof jacket (think I paid a tenner for it from TKMaxx) - really lightweight and ideal to throw in your backpack just in case it rains or when biking - spot on!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w, where is the local TKM?
snow report
primoz, Sleipnir, I would agree with all of that. The base layers are very good for active sports; not only do they wick, but they are softer than most others I have seen. The last time I bought some, they were much cheaper than Hellys, and better too. The other big plus of Craft thermals is that they can be washed at 60 degrees, so they don't reek like Smelly Hansens either. The Craft undies can also be tumble-dried, a boon during the Welsh monsoon season. I haven't worn the ski-suits but the rest of the family use them, and like them. As ski-gear and winter cycling gear is so similar, I would expect the cycling clothing to be just as good.

I have been struggling to find a stockist in Britain, so am very grateful for the tip about TKMaxx.
ski holidays
When I was looking them up online I found several UK stockists that would post to you. The one with a fairly comprehensive range of their base layer clothing was this one http://www.wiggle.co.uk/m/cycle/7/Craft/ though there were others - I made my Google UK search

Craft clothing cycling
snow report
Bought quite a bit of cycling gear for hubby from Wiggle.
ski holidays
Yes, Wiggle's really competitively priced. On a snowHead recommendation, I've bought Linebreak compression base layers from them - brilliant and so much cheaper than Skins etc.
ski holidays
Craft has extremely good reputation in the Nordics since decades. It was one of the first of the thermo/wicking base layers to break in the markets in Sweden and Finland and has ever since been appreciated and loved.
ski holidays
I've been using their Pro zero and procool base layers for warmer sking days or for auumn commuting. Their cycling gear is really good, and the bid shorts I've got are the comfyest I've tried
snow report
Quote:

Linebreak compression base layers from them - brilliant and so much cheaper than Skins etc.

Hurtle, do you find those base layers really make a difference to tired muscles?
ski holidays
Hurtle, pam w, In Lidl last year just to try out I bought what called themselves winter sports tops. I fancy they are somewhat similar to what Hurtle, has. The Lidl tops are made of very stretchy very close fitting fabric, in different weaves to breathe in different places. They claimed to support muscles, and keep the body warm in all the necessary places and cooler where it was necessary. I paid about £10 each for them and tried them out in VT this year. I was surprisingly impressed, whilst they felt a little restrictively tight when you first put them on - in terms of you feeling the close fit rather than not having full movement which you did have, after wearing all day I found that I really missed them once I took them off. I don't know if they helped, but when I did my ankle in on that strange twisting fall I certainly didn't wrench the upper body at all and it may have been this tight fitting elastic type top from Lidl that helped.
snow conditions
pam w,
Quote:

do you find those base layers really make a difference to tired muscles?
Yes, I really think they do, but the actual reason I wear them, pursuant to physio advice, is to 'contain' a damaged hamstring. They are very, very comfortable.
ski holidays
I might give them a go; I need all the help I can get these days.
snow report
pam w, bear in mind that they need to be tight, so be careful not to get too big a size.
latest report
Hurtle, It's a pity I damaged my ankle so low down - right on the achilles tendon - as I think something similar to my stretch tops would be very supportive on an injury like your hamstring as you descibe. It's not so easy to find something thin and close fitting enough to fit under a ski sock around my ankle in a similar way.
latest report
Quote:

bear in mind that they need to be tight, so be careful not to get too big a size.

Hmm. This is not something I shall want to be seen out in. Do they not feel constricting?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, If it's similar to my tops they do feel very snug when you first put them on - for example as a neoprene wetsuit feels when you first put it on. However, like a wetsuit mine do not limit my movement despite feeling snug and I find that once I have worn them for 10 minutes or so you forget they are on, and I do miss mine when I take it off.
ski holidays
pam w, pretty much wot Megamum says. And they are not unflattering, rather they control the wobbly bits! Toofy Grin
snow report
Megamum wrote:
Hurtle, It's a pity I damaged my ankle so low down - right on the achilles tendon - as I think something similar to my stretch tops would be very supportive on an injury like your hamstring as you descibe. It's not so easy to find something thin and close fitting enough to fit under a ski sock around my ankle in a similar way.

Megamum I don't know if these are any good - compression socks

http://www.amazon.co.uk/1000-Mile-Compression-Sock-Size/dp/B000Y88KM8/ref=sr_1_21/277-1875292-2708461?ie=UTF8&s=sports&qid=1249080782&sr=1-21&tag=amz07b-21

Linebreak also do a similar thing for calves, but as you can see, they are cut away around the achilles

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Linebreak-Unisex-Compression-Guards-Black/dp/B000N6SRSI/ref=pd_sim_sg_3?tag=amz07b-21

I've some Canterbury stretch/compression tops that I use as base layers. They are the same high tech material as Linebreak/Skins. Found them to be good - have I noticed the difference? - hard to tell really as I've not skied a whole day in them, but they nice and comfy to wear

Have just ordered a Craft base layer from Wiggle (who currently have a 30% off deal) so will let you know what I think of it when it arrives. I picked up some Falke base layers from TKMaxx in the winter which are fine, but they seem to grow in size every time I wash them.....oh well, they will keep my knees warm!! wink
latest report
Hurtle, I find they definitely control the wobbly bits Toofy Grin

Sleipnir, Interesting thanks - I keep a look out for something similar before I go next January, bit brassic at the moment. Short holiday for kids coming up, and car has just done emergency trip to garage, still don't know the final wallet damage yet Skullie

Added note: I've just done a search for compression socks and found these Nike ones http://www.newitts.com/product/IT028185/Nike_Pro_Compression_Socks.htm?utm_source=Google+Base&utm_medium=Price+Comparison&utm_campaign=Google+Product+Search&utm_content=IT028185

£7.82 delivered if anyone is interested - seems cheap for a pair of specially designed socks.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy