Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A day out with rob@rar/skimottaret at Hemel - Inside Out Skiing

Poster: A snowHead
beanie1, wink Toofy Grin
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
or rob is much more evil than me Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yeah, that must be it - that Rob was really mean to us, we had to do turns in both directions! Shocked
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nice to meet a few more of you on Wednesday. Much fun with a great pair of guys Rob and Scott.

I'm waiting for Rob to do a "book one get one free" summer sale so I can go to tomorrows as well Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Is it just me that reads 'rob@rar' as "Robert RAAAAARRGGHHHH!"?

I also propose that 'skimottaret' is renamed 'scottmottarott'.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ha ha ha - just been looking at the video clips of me from the two days I've been on. Such concentration on my face has never been seen before! Very Happy I was going to try and find a half-decent clip to post up here but I don't think I'm ready for such public humiliation just yet. Plus all my really good skiing wasn't caught on camera. Obviously.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
cathy, Same here Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Iski, Laughing Toofy Grin

Although I was really pleased to see there is a difference between the first videos on the first day and the last videos on the second day - a definite improvement! I think the realisation is also sinking in that I can actually influence what my feet and legs are doing - it's not just gravity and then me initiating a turn & going along for the ride but I can do things like push my outer leg further forward or back if I want and feel the difference (ouch...)

Does everyone cringe when they see themselves on video? Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes - I have a very pronounced tendency to pull faces when something doesn't quite work the way I expect or want it to - maybe some Botox to immobilise facial muscles is in order?!? Puzzled
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
cathy wrote:
Does everyone cringe when they see themselves on video? Very Happy

cathy, yes, everyone.

You need to pop across to here wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
FlyingStantoni, good videos of the telemarkers! You've put me to shame.....perhaps I'll dig out a very short one that doesn't show me doing anything tooo bad. Although of course it won't be a video of me wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Look what I've found in the depths of the archives Toofy Grin I've blown the dust off and given it a bit of a shake, bit of a musty smell but should still be OK Madeye-Smiley

I was going to say - I can't make this Monday's session which is a bit of a shame as there's only a few people booked. I'll try to make it to the one the following Monday but it's work dependent so may be a bit of a last minute booking!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
cathy, Sad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hard work, especially for hurty legs (wish I'd never tried those damned Preachers Twisted Evil) but very rewarding. I'm relieved that I managed to avoid totally wiping out a man coming up on the lift and, shortly thereafter, my instructor: I expect they were relieved too. Embarassed
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Pedantica, Laughing Laughing
Why were your legs hurting from the Preachers?
snow report
cathy, strained my knees trying to get them on to their edges in short radius turns (the only turns possible at MK). Scott explained to me yesterday how fat skis put a strain on the knees and it made sense: had I realised that before, I wouldn't have tried them.
ski holidays
Quote:

I'm relieved that I managed to avoid totally wiping out a man coming up on the lift

me too... !! that was a good recovery though, sadly no video Toofy Grin
latest report
I had one on Saturday who managed to find a gap between the pylon and a guy coming up on the lift, at speed!
snow report
rob@rar, it wasnt Pedantica, on a warm up run was it. She managed the same trick Wink
snow conditions
rob@rar, yeah, I was zooming around Scott's rutted, narrow course (helpfully set within about six inches of the lift) with zero control, flew out of it and was making for this poor chap at what seemed like the speed of light. I have no idea how I managed a) not to knock him over and b) to stay on my feet. The other incident - a mismanaged hockey stop - provoked the comment that, had I been one of his 8 year old racers, I'd have got a bollocking. Ahem, not my finest hour.Embarassed Still, I didn't actually hit either of them. Toofy Grin

Edit: though I must have frightened the bloke on the lift, not just by hurtling towards him, but also by swearing colourfully as I did so. Embarassed
latest report
skimottaret wrote:
rob@rar, it wasnt Pedantica, on a warm up run was it. She managed the same trick Wink
In my client's defence it was either run me over or aim for a frighteningly small gap. Obviously she made the right decision as running over coach normally results in some fiendish drill progression to 'enjoy'. No harm was done, although my skis did get run over Laughing
ski holidays
Pedantica wrote:
rob@rar, yeah, I was zooming around Scott's rutted, narrow course (helpfully set within about six inches of the lift) with zero control, flew out of it and was making for this poor chap at what seemed like the speed of light. I have no idea how I managed a) not to knock him over and b) to stay on my feet. The other incident - a mismanaged hockey stop - provoked the comment that, had I been one of his 8 year old racers, I'd have got a bollocking.
Sounds awesome!
ski holidays
rob@rar,
Quote:

although my skis did get run over
God, I dread to think what he would have said if I'd done that - I believe he had his brand new ones on. Shocked
latest report
Pedantica, nahhh i had my battered trusty Blizzards on which dont even have a top sheet any longer... im not too precious about the tos of skis , they always get trashed its just a matter of time...
ski holidays
reminds me of my L1 course at Xscape, we were doing syncronised shorts with two folk behind me. I am calling out left, right, ;eft when suddenly there is a strange metallic sound and the 3rd gent wizzes past me in the gap between the wall and the not moving poma lift, having 'knocked' a few pomas out of the way to get into the gap!!
snow report
kitenski, did he pass? Laughing (Pass Level 1, I mean - obviously he passed you. wink)
ski holidays
Pedantica, yup!
ski holidays
kitenski, ah. Shocked I assume he learned how to do controlled short turns by the end of the course?!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pedantica, I think it was more a mistake than learning how to ski controlled shorts in 1 week!
snow conditions
kitenski, oh right. I don't know much about how the examining for these qualifications works. I guess there must be a limit on the number of 'mistakes' allowed on the way to a qualification?
snow conditions
Don't think it's like a driving test where you get a certain number of mistakes, though I guess if you are constantly crashing into lifts it doesn't reflect too well on your skiing ability! How wide are the fridges? I have never been in one, this last page has made them sound tiny!
ski holidays
Pedantica, no hard and fast rules - it's continuous assessment over the duration of the course, and the Trainer/Examiner will reach a view on whether you have reached the standard. Usually Trainers will compare notes with other Trainers having done some joint observations of different groups to try to minimise differences in what is a subjective assessment process. I took a big fall while doing some 'steeps' work on my L2 which resulted in a head first slide down a steep gulley. I was worried that I had blown it and talked to the Trainer who said not to worry, no one mistake ever determines a result and there would be more times during the course when I would be skiing steep terrain.

Only exceptions to this are the Eurotest and the avalanche search in the mountain safety exams, where there is a clear pass/fail determined by the clock.
latest report
rob@rar, thanks. Interesting process.

jimmer, they're reasonably wide. Don't know about kitenski's situation, but our tiny 'slalom' course will, at least partly, have been set well to one side so as not to get in the way of all the other folk on the slope.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy