Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

which skis?!?!?!?!?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
right this may seem like a stupid question to people on here - but i've never bought a pair of skis and this winter i'm working as a guide out in France - so which skis are best for someone guiding most days and who likes a bit of off piste on days off. I guess a good all round ski - but i have no clue whats good and whats not so help me out. I'm fed up with getting pushy salesmen giving me all the sales poo-poo in the shops and need sensible unbiased opinion! cheers!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
andyL, welcome to snowHeads. You'll probably get as many opinions as replies to that question! My advice would be to get a pair which balances on piste performance with a bit of extra width for off-piste fun. Maybe something around a 17m radius and perhaps 80mm underfoot. I hav a pair of Elan Magfire 12s from a few seasons ago which are close to that spec and it's the pair I ski on most. If I was looking to replace the Elans I'd probably go for the Rossignol 9X Oversize.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
andyL, welcome to snowHeads. How heavy/tall are you?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
andyL, Welcome to snowHead's

I presume when you say guide you mean taking Chalet guests out on piste.
A lot depends on your ability and aspirations. What skis have you used before that you like? This is a good place to start.

I would suggest a mid fat woodcore ski as a good general purpose tool. If you ski aggressively get something that is reasonably stiff so you will have plenty of rebound and have a lot of fun with on piste. What Rob suggested is probably ideal for on piste fun and the bit of width gives off piste versatility. A bit of stiffness helps blast through cruddy snow again you'll be glad of the width underfoot skiing spring slush as well as powder.

Scott Neo superb all mountain ski similar dims to Rosignol 9x OS. I use these myself and they are awesome fun on piste and are very versatile in a range of snow conditions.
Scott Crusade a bit fatter so more off piste bias but still awesome on piste, or the mission popular easy to use but its a bit softer so not going to rebound like the Neo or the 9X.
I think the Dynastar Legend 8000 is worth a look too for same reasons.

kiwi 1 is selling some new Icelantics (last years models) in various lengths at cost or below the pilgrim would probably be the most all-mountan of these. 90mm waist becoming a bit more off piste biased but they are supposed to be easy to use on piste.
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=53393#1287202

Here are some places I found selling some of these skis
Rosignol 9X http://www.achat-ski.com/produit/2820-rossignol-radical-r9x-world-cup-os-fixs
Dynastar legend 8000 http://www.achat-ski.com/produit/2802-dynastar-legend-8000-fluid-fixs
Neo and crusade http://www.snowtrax.eu/snow-sports-store-output.asp?idCategory=48&idMfr=8

IMO the 9X, Neo and Dynastar will fit your bill most as you will have to spend you "working" time on piste
Enjoy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
spyderjon, Happy Birthday hope your having a good one! Very Happy
IIRC its a milestone one too. Hope the head is not to sore if you've been partying hard.

andyL, sorry for temporary thread hijak but the birthday boy is a good man for bindings. I would suggest you chat to him about them and if you go with any of the scott skis try buy em without bindings (the ones that come with them are a bit cheap and plastic given you are looking at doing a season) You can always put the bindings onto your next pair of skis after you wear these skis out.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
cheers for the suggestions people.
in answer to some of the questions - yes its guiding chalet guests on piste - but will be doing a bit of off piste on my days off
i'm about 13 stone and 6'3
i'm a fairly aggressive fast skier
last pair of skis i used was a pair of rossignol bandits 80 which i found pretty good all round but maybe a little on the flexible side.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
andyL, I'm a bit lighter than you and 4" shorter ski the neo in 176 the longer one might suit you better
Available at http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/shop/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=170&products_id=4564
The 9X I think you would want the 180. The Neo is semi twin so at 186 will ski at about 180.

I think your findings on the Bandit are consistent with what we have recommended. You would probably conclude the same about the Scott Mission as the bandit.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
RPF, thanks but the big birthday is still a year away.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
andyL wrote:
in answer to some of the questions - yes its guiding chalet guests on piste -

In which case I would suggest avoiding a fully twin-tipped ski as nothing will be more off-putting for the guest behind then getting a faceful of your rooster tail everytime you turn...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
spyderjon wrote:
RPF, thanks but the big birthday is still a year away.

Ha, ha, I bet you say that every year! Happy birthday, now make a wish!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
bertie bassett wrote:
andyL wrote:
in answer to some of the questions - yes its guiding chalet guests on piste -

In which case I would suggest avoiding a fully twin-tipped ski as nothing will be more off-putting for the guest behind then getting a faceful of your rooster tail everytime you turn...

Will teach them to show some independent thought and pick their own line wink How close do you ski to your "guide" anyway?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy