Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resorts in reach from Vancouver / what ski to buy?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,

I'm moving to Vancouver at the end of August and i'm just wondering what areas i should def ski over the season?

Obviously Whistler is just up the road, and i think there's a few ski hills a bit closer to the city for getting some regular turns in, but what resorts around BC and just across the border into the USA are worth visiting? and maybe even across to Alberta? ones that i really shouldn't miss!

i don't mind doing a good bit of driving to get there. For example, drove from Vancouver to Jasper in a day when on holiday last year and it was no bother, so i'm happy to consider anything within that sort of range (although obviosuly if i'm driving that distance i'll stay for a few days).

Cheers

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 27-07-09 14:04; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You lucky b*gg*r.

Local mountains are Grouse Mountain (http://www.grousemountain.com) Cypress Mountain(http://www.cypressmountain.com) and Mount Seymour (http://www.mountseymour.com), as well as Mount Washington on Vancouver Island (http://www.mountwashington.ca/) (Well worth a visit). Over the border, Mount Baker (http://www.mtbaker.us/) and Mount Hood (http://www.skihood.com) in Washington State are also not too far away.

There have also been ongoing plans to create a new ski area near Squamish, but this looks like still being some distance into the future with various environmental groups objecting to this (Latest news at http://www.piquenewsmagazine.com/pique/index.php?cat=C_News&content=Gas+1627)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lots of choice across both BC and over the US border in Washington state. The maps on SkiTiger will help:

http://www.skitiger.com/britishcolumbia/map.html
http://www.skitiger.com/washington/map.html
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
That sucks wink - where you live will play a major decision in where you ski - If you choose to live in N or W Van area then Grouse or Cypress plus a WB pass for weeekends makes sense, if you live South or East I'd seriously consider Baker on a regular basis. Remember that driving to Whistler will be banned for a period around the Lympics.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
that's great info guys, thanks for that!

Also, hadn't really realsied that the road to whistler would be basically out of bounds for a month, so that's good to know.

that ski tiger website is an excellent resource too, really useful.

Looking at it there's is a huge choice! big white, apex, cystal, sunpeaks, silver star, kimberly, fernie, panorma, revelstoke, kicking horse - wow i'm going to be busy, and that's just BC!

which of these should i def hit and which are missable?

also, what's mount baker just across the border into the US like? i'm sure i'll give that a try too.

my usual 6 days of skiing a year is in for a drubbing this year snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Looking at it there's is a huge choice! big white, apex, cystal, sunpeaks, silver star, kimberly, fernie, panorma, revelstoke, kicking horse - wow i'm going to be busy, and that's just BC!

which of these should i def hit and which are missable?

Big White- hit, Silver Star-hit, Fernie-hit, Panorama- hit, Kicking horse- hit, Kimberley- miss ,

the rest I haven't been to yet! Doing sunpeaks at Christmas
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DrE,

I live at Red Mountain BC - from Vancouver in the winter it is a 7.5 hour drive. But great skiing when you get here. Also Whitewater BC is about another 1 hour and 15 minutes away. Some of the best tree skiing in the world. If you are coming out let us know and we can line you up with some locals to show you around the mountains.

KG
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Baker is small. isolated and gets dumped on. There's some epic terrain, but you need to be pretty advanced to get the most from it.

Crystal Mountain just south of Seattle is epic - don't miss it

How much you like the various hills will depend on how you ski. The piste is not where most of the fun is at these places
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for that everyone!

kierengaul, red mountain looks incredible, looks like some really good terrain. The 7.5 hours trip wouldn't put me off so, I'll def drop you a line when i'm coming out there. Can't beat that local knowledge!

It sounds like there is some amazing terrain around the mountains out there providing you're advanced enough to take advantage of it. I'm probably an advanced intermediate at the moment, but hopefully by the end of this season (where i can spend more than just 6 days on snow) i'll be able to really take advantage of all that these mountains have to offer.

just looking at all these resorts has really got me excited about the coming season, i can't wait snowHead !!

Will post some reviews on everywhere i hit over the season, with plenty of pics too.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Red is great but you really want to gain some confidence in tight trees to get the best of it plus there's a couple of spots for the unwary to cliff out. If I was you I'd get some fat skis and spend the winter at Baker building my game (with trips to North Shore for groomers in the evening). Alternately you could buy some piste specials and take lots of lessons.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thinking i'll pick up a piste ski this year and maybe a powder ski next. Definitely planning on taking plenty of lessons!

I feel i need to start a new thread on what type of skis I should get now, as i really have no idea.

I tried a kind of compromise last ski holiday where i hired a twin tip, a bit fatter underfoot than i'm used to (about 85mm i think) - i could feel the difference on piste in that i found it harder to get it to carve, but unfortunately i didn't get any of the fresh stuff while i was there to see what the extra width underfoot did in the powder.

Any ski suggestions? really i just need to demo some and find a pair i really like, hopefully be able to do that over there and make do with my rock hoppers in the meantime rolling eyes . Any places people recomend for ski shopping in Vancouver? Any ski suggestions for someone who is 6' 4", 190lbs, advanced intermediate, keen to progress and will be getting a lot of time of snow?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
just hit whistler when it opens (usually around thx Giving - we'll be there!) and hit demo shops and try a few out, Great deals to be had at that time of year.

I'd highly recommend a mid-fat, versatile ski to get you skiing steeps and in pow. Something in the 80-85mm waist range should buy you all mountain performance. hardly anyone skis on piste skis in the west, and people will laugh at you at Red and Baker - where there hardly any pistes Smile

I have a quiver, but spend most of my time on a pair of Head Monster 82s. they float, carve, chop thru crud - great skis for me. Demo-ing is the only way to find the great pair for you. Reviews in ski mags are a good place to start to narrow down demo options too - they at least give broad indications, what sort of weight skier they suit, etc.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Good info gortonator, will def take a trip up to whistler then and demo some skis.

i think i'm going to get mocked a lot coming out west, having been skiing 90% on piste to now (hardly ever had cause to go off piste when i've been before as generally i seem to time my ski trips in the middle of a 2 week no snow spell!) i think i'm in for a shock! Looking forward to it though Very Happy .
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DrE, you'll love it. And in this part of the world, it's trail or run or groomer, not piste. If you say piste too much they'll laugh at you too Wink

You'll actually find the transition pretty easy as there's lots of ungroomed stuff very near runs and everybody skis it, so just watch locals, take it easy and you'll be cruising boot deep in no time! Just cross fingers El Nino doesn't give us a drier winter than normal.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
gortonator, I've got more than fingers crossed hoping El Nino withers away, it wasn't easy getting those skis crossed. Not looking forward to another winter with the snow line up around 4000' and the Mtns bones sticking up through the snow, and I've had so much fun skiing the lower half of Jackass chair the last two winters.

DrE, Welcome to the west you should have a ball checking off ski areas in BC. I really enjoyed Baker when I made it there. I'll second hitting Red, Fernie, and Silver Star, Whitewater is just OK without a local guide to the backcountry, although I always enjoy skiing there and hitting Nelson. So many ski areas so little Winter.
latest report
pinhead, me too - wanna get some use from my $199 Silver season pass this winter Wink. I'd happily take a nice average season ...
snow conditions
gortonator, One long weekend should pay for that pass.Very Happy Already planning the Powder King trip to make up for this winters tantrum from the little boy. wink

I'm sure I'm not the only snowhead who will be chasing snow, especially those of us in path of said tantrum.
Kierngaul I'm sure you'll be looking for more snow too.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy