Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Bindings \ Old Skis

Poster: A snowHead
I'm fitting a new set of bindings to an old pair of 1080s (foam core). I'm about to drill the new holes, but should I fill the old holes with anything before I mount the new bindings.

Also, there appears to be reasonable clearance between the new and old drill points, but at what point should I worry that they are too close ?

Cheers Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Fill with mastic or other such sealant. Window frame sealant kind of thing

if they're not overlapping, they're ok - better to leave as much gap between them as you can
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
david@mediacopy, 5mm is the closest between holes. Fill old holes with plugs and apoxy resin or just resin if you don't have plugs or the best advice is to burn the skis and get something with a wood core Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
kiki1, nbt cheers both.

kiwi1 wrote:
david@mediacopy, 5mm is the closest between holes. Fill old holes with plugs and apoxy resin or just resin if you don't have plugs or the best advice is to burn the skis and get something with a wood core Toofy Grin

Well, when I've finished with them, that's all they will be good for. I'm hoping for a hard winter and a bit of 'local' skiing Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kiwi1 wrote:
5mm is the closest between holes.

Looks like I've dropped unlucky. 2 of the 3 screws on the rear portion will be only 3mm away from the old hole. Too close ? These are touring bindings.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
david@mediacopy, fill the old ones with a mix of epoxy and steel wool and you'll be alright within 3mm.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just move them back 2mm? Could make it worse...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
david@mediacopy, What comprex, or parlor, said and it'll be fine.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cheers guys. Moving them back starts to compromise one of the other holes, but I reckon 2mm should be OK and I'll try the epoxy\wire wool trick.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
david@mediacopy, seriously. Foam core ski, epoxy and two mm. Not for me. Which holes? Are you putting the touring binders on these skis? If yes, and these holes are at the toes then forget it, you'll pull out the first time you skin on them.

How many times have the skis been drilled? Just move the mounting position so you are clear from ALL of the holes by 5mm.

For a touring rig go backwards from the original mount = better / easier to ski in powder & LESS tail for kick turns.

Otherwise go forward which will increase the speed of turn initiation, which may also be a good thing as you now have to consider the stack height of the AT binders...

If the skis had a wood core then I would risk it but 1080s are basically recycled Big Mac cartons, don't take the risk - you'll pull and binding out then have to move the whole set up by 10mm...
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
parlor wrote:

If the skis had a wood core then I would risk it but 1080s are basically recycled Big Mac cartons, don't take the risk - you'll pull and binding out then have to wrap sheet metal around an epoxy repair and redrill

FIFY Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
parlor, Sorry, I meant that if I move them back by 2mm I'll have enough clearance to on all the closest holes by 5mm.

I was concerned about the rear holes which I'm concerned about as there are only 3 screws (fritschi). Moving the setup back compromises the fronts a bit more, but I should just have +5mm all the same. The ski's have been drilled for a set of rental bindings so have 10 existing holes.

Quote:
recycled Big Mac cartons

what are you trying to say ! Blush

But 5mm should be OK ?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cheers all. I finally get the ski's drilled and the bindings mounted up and had a quick run on the local plastic - all seemed fine.

One final question - is it worth taking the screws out and redoing them with epoxy ? ?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
david@mediacopy, only if you plan on doing jumps somewhere where walking off the mountain in ski boots might be a problem.

Of course, I wouldn't take 1080s to such a spot...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Over kill I would have thought. The only binding I've ever pulled OUT of a ski was a tele binder, and there are much more forces on a tele binding. You are more likely to have broken the bindings before they come out of the ski - even if it is a foam core. FWIW, I've broken a few pairs of binders, you'll be fine.
snow report
comprex, parlor, Cool Cheers guys.
snow conditions
If your looking for a template. see http://www.wildsnow.com/articles/fritschi-freeride-mount/fritschi-diamir-freeride.html
latest report
scottishskier, Cheers for the link, in the end that was the one I used. The main difference between that guide and the one in the box was the 'official' guide suggests fitting the rear first. I think this is so the front section can be lined up correctly when screwed. The guide in the link suggests doing it the other way around, but then comments the rear can be hard to get right.

I went the way of the 'official' instructions and it was fine. I used the paper template.
latest report
parlor wrote:
david@mediacopy, seriously. Foam core ski, epoxy and two mm. Not for me. Which holes? Are you putting the touring binders on these skis? If yes, and these holes are at the toes then forget it, you'll pull out the first time you skin on them.

I've remounted dynafits halfway overlapping the old holes after epoxing in fiberglass dowels.

However some glues may not react well with foam cores. When you drill don't go too wide or too deep (despite what yer missus might say), you want the binding screws to bite onto something.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy