Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Trying before you buy....

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am in the hunt for new skis. In this period i have happened to come across Kiwi's thread selling icelantic skis pretty darn cheaply.... I hope to do a ski season come december in austria, currently have 4 weeks ski experience (will comfortably do any red, but blacks make my technique go somewhat shoddy). But anyway doing a season the issue of skis being too advanced shuldnt be a massive issue. Anyway back to the point im looking for a do it all ski, enjoyed going off piste but struggled a bit when the snow got really heavy and steep. I would like peoples views on the icelantic pilgrim?? As my research on this forum alone has some people calling them 'amazing' or 'short and weird'. Also im gunna try and go down to castleford and try and demo some skis there later on in the week... So do you think it is unwise buying skis without trying first? Its just the icelantic pilgrim was a ski i was already looking at and im fairly skint so price is a big plus.... Anywho your expert opinions would be much appreciated. As it will be my first pair of skis... By the way im 80kgs + a little and 5'11''

Thanks in advance
-Rich
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Got 2 pairs of Pilgrims, one pair for myself and one pair just to leave at the apartment in case anyone wants to borrow a pair of skis. The Pilgrim is a great ski which is easy on piste but will happily let you venture off piste. If you get the 180'ish size they won't be short and I can't see why they would be descibed as weird. With a solid wood core they should be durable and so good for you if your going to do the season, the only drawback on Icelantics is that the top sheet scuffs easily, but this won't affect the way they ski and nothing is going to look new at the end of a season of consistent use.

At the price Kiwi1 is doing the last few Icelantics I can't see how you can go wrong.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Pilgrim has a large sweet spot making it very easy to ski & as it's a full twin it skis short for it's length so the 179cm would be fine for your stats (don't get it shorter) & will give you plenty of support underfoot & fore/aft stability for your forays off piste. The BASI bunch will tell you that it's too wide for your level & that you should be on a narrower ski for skill development but I've a couple of mates with similar experience to you who's first skis were this width & they've progressed just fine. The Pilgrim is also of top quality construction & is a steal at kiwi1's special offer price which is under the trade price.

I'm presuming that you've already got properly sized, fitted & aligned boots otherwise that should be your first purchase.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yeah i have got some fischer progressor 100 boots, and used them for the first time in VT in Jan and they improved my skiing no end... top quality purchase. I read somewhere that the icelantics ski short so why do you say not to get them shorter than 179? As i think i will only be able to test the 169's if at all.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Twitchy87, what I think spyderjon, means is that the ski will feel shorter than the length it is. So if you go to the 169 it will feel very short. Twin tip skis are like this because some of their length is the upturned tips tips and not in their contact surface. I am the same size as you and ski a similar sized semi twin to what spyderjon, reccomended and they are perfect for me as an all mountain ski. He used to sell Icelantic skis so is very familiar with them.
Although I have read reviews of the Icelantic Shamen which reccomend buying a shorter one than you normally would in a powder ski, this I think is because of the Shamens extremely wide tip means you dont need do have the same length to get the same float in powder and can maximise this skis particular ability to make short sharp turns which has made them popular for tree skiing in powder. Enjoy the bargain Cool
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
What about waiting until your out in resort and trying out a decent range on actual slopes rather than indoors which i assume is somewhat limited.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yeah but if i get last seasons stock now i'll be saving a great deal of money, ill be paying what just over £300 for skis and bindings. Of which both will be very good. If i wait until im in resort, yes i can try a range of skis. But the cost of those skis will be considerably more, and even more so if the exchange rate drops.... so i may find that i may want the same pair of skis, but have to pay 100% more... Just for trying them on a real slope instead of a big fridge...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Twitchy87, It's no problem skiing the Pilgrims in a short length on piste however with your stats you'd soon find the 169's speed limit. They can also be skied short off piste too but only if you are a high level skier with a very well developed centred stance otherwise you'll need to go longer to get the require fore/aft stability. My missus is 5'6"/61kg & has done about 6 weeks on the 169's & thinks they're a doddle to ski so you can see you'll have no problem with the 179.

Buy the 179's & stick a decent pair of metal 412 bindings mounted on the BC line on 'em & you won't regret it. I'd budget on writing off the cost of the skis as after a full season they'll be pretty worthless but if you get a decent pair of bindings you'll be able to transfer them to your new skis for the following season.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Twitchy87, I know what you mean, but there is always the chance of seasonnaires discount which can sometimes be pretty good. Then again, i just bought mine 2nd hand off here over the summer instead of buying out in resort due to the lack of any decent shops so I can't really talk.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Twitchy87, some seasonnaire jobs come complete with skis - my son's done a couple and been able to get decent hire skis, and also go back and change them to try different things. Cost him zilch. He's a very good skier and was happy with what he had - when I skied with him last season I think, from memory, he had Dynastar Legends. But maybe you won't be working. Lucky thing. wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yeah, our staff nicked most of the decent kit from our shop when it wasn't being used by the hotel guests. Dynastar Legend 4800s and contact 9s being the best of the bunch. Both pretty good skis. Obviously it depends where you are though.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy