Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone fondled (or even worn!) Dynafit Titan boots?

Poster: A snowHead
Interested in stiffness and any other observations on how they flex (and whether they are much stiffer than, say the Zzeus or Scarpa Skookum), fit etc

Will CEM or SMALLZOOKEEPER be stocking them? If so when will they arrive in stock??
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Arno, Yes, awesome mate, got a pair on order.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Do you think you'll have them by the end of August?
I'll be in town then so might book Mrs A in for a spa treatment and pop down to the Zoo to have a look
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nah, not until November. Will send you some details when i get back to Cham. PM me your Email
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
bumping this because I was almost set on buying some Titans but then I saw the Salomon Quest

anyone seen or fondled them both (i'm looking at you, SMALLZOOKEEPERWink )?

the Titan looks pretty good and I am sure they would fit with minimal faff (having tried on the Zzeus) but the Quest looks like it might have a slightly higher cuff which would be nice and maybe a bit stiffer too?

also the quest looks slightly narrower which is OK if the forefoot will take a punch, and good if they fit nice and close around the heel
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ooh, goody, I want something like this too. What their width fittings like? Wich are the widest? I currently have Scarpa Denalis and Head S13s, both of which were blown to bu%%ery across the forefoot, so I'm going to be scuppered if they're anything close to a narrow fitting.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
GrahamN, i believe the salomons have a 100mm last and the dynafits something like 102mm
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:
Black Diamond line BD AT shells have a 102mm fore foot with a 73mm heel; Compared to Garmonts 101mm toe/ 75mm heel.

http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorgear/GAR0183/Garmont-Radium-Alpine-Touring-Boot-Mens.html

What size heel do the sollys have?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
and what weight are the salomons?
any ideas?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
well after a trip the Ellis Brigham's "center of excellence" in Kensington last night I am none the wiser

the salomons don't come in until the beginning of December. looking to salvage a wasted trip i asked if they had their dynafit bindings in yet. "beginning of december" came the reply Mad

mmmmkay.... well will you have a dynafit jig for wide skis? don't know until december Mad Mad

i was going to give em the benefit of the doubt buy british etc but it's looking more and more like a combo of telemark-pyrenees and the SMALL one will be getting my heard-earned this year
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Arno, how frustrating... Eagerly awaiting your conclusion and feedback as need to make a similar choice in the new year. From your comment about forefoot punch assume you have a narrow heel but wide forefoot? That is what I have. What boots are you on at the moment?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
bobinch, narrowish heel and wide forefoot. have some garmont shamans and scarpa spirit 4s right now. ideally i'd like the garmonts but with a decent walk mode and dynafit compatible but that doesn't look realistic in the forseeable...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Arno, assume Radiums out as you need Alpine binding compatibility also?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bobinch, from what i have seen Radiums aren't enough of a step up from the Scarpas to make it worthwhile - the look nice though
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I shelled out on the Dynafit Zzero (4 buckle PU plastic version for the most stiffness), when they came out and have used them alot over the last season (and last week Happy). These boots have been great (stiff and responsive, I have x-wave 10s on piste), in all sorts of conditions. If theTitan edition is even stiffer, then they would I think, be the monkey.
ski holidays
Arno, tried on the Titan's in Snell Sports today. They certainly feel stiff, much stiffer than Endorphins. Unfortunately they are also narrow in the forefoot. Within a few seconds I could feel the pressure at the front of the arch and outsode of the foot. Within 2 minutes it was clear those boots would need a lot of work to get comfortable for my foot. And that was in a pair of 28's and I am usually 27.5 (which they didn't have). Maybe it was the lunch....

The guy in there came over to see who was messing up his boot display - I was flexing Radiums, Zzeus, Titan, BD Factor and Axons. I explained I want stiffer than the Endorphins and he basically said it's between the Titan and Factor (he said they are basically only selling Dyna compatible this year as that's what their customers want). He reckoned the Titan had a 98mm (forefoot?) width with a relatively generous heel. He compared that with the Factor which had a 102mm width with a very narrow heel. I asked him about the Salomons (he doesn't have in stock yet) and he reckoned they are 100mm width with heel somewhere between the Titan and Factor. He said what he has heard is good although he will only get 4 pairs as supply is limited. He said Salomon is planning on releasing 5 different models in the next couple of years so they are clearly serious. He reckoned the new Salomons would flex similar to the 110 flex "somethings" Guns maybe? in the Alpine range. He said the 130 flex sticker on the Factors is cowdoo. Reckons Factor, Titan and Salomon will be similar flex.

I tried the Factor in a 27.5 and it certainly had a narrow heel. Also felt very solid although the lower cuff height (than on an Alpine boot) is noticeable, when flexing I can feel the space at my calf. Vague memory is that it didn't seem so obvious on the Titan's although I didn't have them on for so long and he said that the Factors had a slightly higher cuff than the Titans so i could be mistaken. I asked about Booster straps and he said that should improve it and add "rebound" although he'd never used them personally. He showed me a Scarpa boot which Booster straps as standard but which he said had a larger volume than the other boots. Back to the Factors.... Front felt wider than the Titan's ie no obvious pressure points although there wasn't much room in there either. After a couple of minutes I could feel the pressure on the heel but I can imagine it packing out sufficiently after some action on the snow. He did say that working space into the heel is more difficult than the forefoot due to the thickness of the plastic. They will have the Factors on test so I will try and get back their in January for a go - he said they will also have Dynafit Manaslu skis on test which I am also interested in trying. Alas no Titan's on test.

The guy seemed like he new what he was talking about. He was a small skinny guy and said he was not a good skier (although being a Chamonix seasonnaire that is possibly to be taken with a pinch of salt). Said he had a pair of Zzeus last year and had totally worn out the inner boots despite the fact that he didn't put much pressure on them. I am quite solid and he told me not to bother with Zzeus. Reckoned the inner boot in the Titan was much improved.

What else... the weights were on the boots. The Factors were the heaviest (2150g?), then Titan (2050g?), Radiums (1850?). He said the Radiums were good boots, a new construction and flex better than whatever came before but are made of Pebax which is soft (and he said the hardest material to work effectively). He told me they would flex the same or softer than the Endorphins so not ,much use to me if I wanted stiffer. He was explaining something about wrap around "porte-feuille" or something but I couldn't quite understand the technical details in French.

I was asking if the inner boots were heat moulded and he said no. He showed me some of last years Axons which came with the heat moulded inner boots but said he swapped them for Alpine inner boots for cstomers that bought them as the thermo moulded inner boots are too soft.

I think the Factors are an ugly green mess but I think I will struggle to get the Titans to fit so the Factors may be my only option. Smallzookeeper wasn't too complimentary about them when I asked him so may have to go back and find out why.

Not sure if you are interested but I also asked him about touring skis: He said he had skied the Manaslus on a powder day on Vallee Blanche and they were great in the powder. He suggested I try them as he wasn't sure how good they would be for a heavier, more aggressive skier and in mixed conditions. I asked him what he thought was the best light but reasonably wide with decent downhill performance touring ski. He suggested the Scott Crusair had good feedback from some guides (used to stiff skis) who'd taken them out although added that they cost a small fortune (Euro 700) as have carbon in them. Wasn't sure if they'd have them on test.

Hope that is of some use.....
snow conditions
bobinch, good info. there have been reports of the walk mode in the Factors being fragile which may be the issue
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy