Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Learn to ski in a day?

Poster: A snowHead
A very good friend of mine turns 40 next week and she's always been a bit envious of my trips off to the Alps every winter, so a couple of us thought we might club together and buy her one of these experiences to see how she takes to skiing. You never know, she might even want to come with me on a future trip!

Tamworth looks favourite as it's by far the cheapest (£85) and nearest.

Does anyone have any comments or experiences of these types of course? I'm thinking it's probably more of a 'taster' course, but apparently one should be able to do a controlled descent using linked turns by the end of it.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
queen bodecia, There have been a number of threads on this. This is the most recent. As usual a number of opposing views.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
queen bodecia, Tamworths prices in the Summer and proximity for you are super. Learn to ski in a a day there has been good for some of my friends. I did the learn to board there really enjoyed it too. I still go regularly cause its so close and such good value. However the quality of Hemel tempts me and they look after snowHead's well so I do get tempted there at any opertunity.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
queen bodecia, When I have been boarding at Tamworth (for their discount morning sessions) I have always been impressed by how much they achieve in the morning. I would say some are almost linked turns by lunchtime.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
queen bodecia, is your friend quite physically fit? A whole day skiing when you've never done it before is pretty exhausting! Great if she's up for it but I wonder if they do a half day which might be more manageable and still leave her some energy to party at the end of the day! At this time of year groups tend to be smaller. so more time actually spent skiing=more knackering, even if it represents better value for money.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for all the input folks. I might sneak a surreptitious recreational hour on the slope to spy on her lesson. Laughing

And yes Kitty, she is a bit of a gym-addict so shouldn't struggle with it.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lots of mixed reviews on that thread you posted Colin B, but I really feel she ought to treat this as a 'taster' day to see if it's something she will enjoy and if it is, further instruction and a proper trip somewhere will hopefully follow. Hope that idea meets with the approval of the snowHead instructor fraternity.

I do prefer the idea of Hemel too as it's a much nicer slope with great snow, but the one-day course is considerably more expensive there. It would be my recommendation if she enjoys it and wants further instruction though.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
queen bodecia, With the current deals you'll probably get a 2nd hour free or 3 hours at a really good rate if its in a discount session Shocked Or you could do learn to board in a day wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
RPF, I've had boarding lessons in France back in 1992. That's about as much as I'm prepared to say on the subject Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
queen bodecia, That's a bargain price at Tamworth. I see that the price varies according to season so definitely best to do it now Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Learnt to ski there in 2 two hour slots so can't comment on the ski in a day course but also learnt to board in a day in the summer at Tamworth a few years back. Great way to get started and price sounds good. They get you doing all the basics so you can get down the slope safely and you can build from there. From memory they throw in a couple of tea breaks and lunch as well! Of the two approaches I prefered the all in one day route
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
queen bodecia, that sounds like a great idea for a present - what the experience WILL do is leave your friend knowing quite clearly whether this is something she wants to do, or not. If she's an active person, goes to the gym etc, she should sail through it.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ski Club in Ireland do them and have seen it being of huge benefit to beginners. It is amazing to see someone who has no clue about skiing plough turning down the slope after a day. The only problem is newbies get very tired as they are not use to the movements.

I am sure your friend if they have any balance and sports ability will progress just nicely after a day and have a good idea of the basics to carry themselves forward.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
vman, So how long did it take you to learn to walk on water
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi, I did this exact course about 4 months ago at Tamworth on a Saturday, whilst my 2 friends spent a couple hours boarding (and then watching me). I wanted to learn to ski in order to pursue some future winter holidays with those freinds and due to where we live I reckoned the 'learn in a day' was the best option as I knew regular visits over a number of weeks would be out of the question. I started from the position of having never skied before, and by lunchtime our group (of only 3!!) were linking turns from the top of the main slope. The afternoon was concentrated on improving our limited technique and an introduction into the use of ski poles. We enjoyed a nice coffee beforehand where we discussed our expectations and sorted kit out, and then tucked into a reasonable lunch at the course mid point and then later in the afternoon feasted on more coffee and some scones and cream, all included in the course price!! We were even allowed a 'free ski' at the end of the scheduled lesson on our own. To be honest I was pretty tired by this point, but even still.

I can't comment on whether the rate of progression is typical as I guess it depends on a large number of factors, but I can say that I found the instruction very thorough without being stuffy or too pushy, and in terms of achieving the objective I have to say it worked for me. I would also say that you will certainly benefit from being reasonably fit, as I found it helps mantain your levels of concentration and reduces possible aches and pains later on. Since 'learning to ski in a day' I have spent a number of sessions at a local snowflex artificial slope and have paid a couple visits to Hemel. The only thing that Tamworth did not prepare me for was the use of the Poma button lifts, but this is nothing too major. Next is a winter holiday this coming January, and I can't wait.

Hope this helps, Nick
snow report
queen bodecia, She may enjoy it, but every person I've had out here who's been on one of these courses has been pretty much a disaster area - they're taught too quickly. If she wants to go skiing afterwards, think about a course of lessons spread over several weeks rather than the day things. More excuse for you to ski too!
snow conditions
easiski, that's pretty much what I was thinking. My idea behind this day is exactly as pam w describes. I'd definitely encourage her to have a decent course of instruction if she decides skiing is for her. She certainly doesn't want to follow me and copy my bad habits! LOL!

n1ckster, a great summary. Thanks.
ski holidays
Quote:

vman, So how long did it take you to learn to walk on water

They didn't offer that course at Tamworth. I guess only JC can do that trick.
snow conditions
Hi, I did the 8 hours ski-in-a-day course about 2 years back before I went out to the real resorts (where my friends promptly took me down a red run on my first run). The bottom line is that I am sure your friend would love the present as I found the day very enjoyable.

To answer your question. There was a huge variation in abilities at the end of the course. So at one end of the spectrum there were 2-3 people who could still only go down in a straight line with absolutely zero speed control. However, I'd say most people by the end could manage a 15-20m run safely, whilst linking some timid snow ploughs. I used to rollerskate etc so I was ok making snow plough turns etc. My gf could make turns with some difficulty. My other friend went from the top to the bottom in one straight line, and stopped by using her instructor. literally. Toofy Grin

Where I found the teaching most limited was that the arena did not teach me how to get on/off a chairlift/gondola or indeed how to read the gradient of the piste in order to know where I should take my turns. This is in no way a fault of the instructors by the way, who I found to be very pleasant and there can only be so much to learn in one day in a group of 15.

As a result, the very first day that I went to the slopes, I found it really hard trying to work out things like how to get on or off a chairlift/pulley. I found that I could "ski", or rather, survive down blues (because there were no other easier runs in that resort) though I didn't really know what I was doing. The next day I had a private lesson booked, and I found the day much more enjoyable being able to ask about lots of newbie things.

Overall, I would say it would be extremely nice to receive a ski-day present, especially given the circumstances but I would be prepared to learn the "real" aspects of skiing once you are on the resort itself.
snow report
streaky, a group of 15!! Where did you have the lesson, that's an awful ratio whatever the skier's level, but particularly for beginners.
latest report
There were in fact, 3 groups of 15 students... all having the same lessons simultaneously on the same learner slope Toofy Grin

And I agree with easiski from the other post, that after my 1 day course, my snow plough was completely utterly unbelievably wrong. (I found that out to my mild amusement down the first icy red run....) When I did my first resort lesson, my instructor corrected me in the first 15mins on the nursery slope... but that was in a 2-vs-1 private lesson so he had much more time to observe me flailing around.

Having said that, I am perfectly happy with the time I spent in the snowdome though. There are not that many skills that I have mastered within 8 hours before. All I wanted at that stage was to experience "skiing".... up to that point, I hadn't even seen so much snow in one place in my life before!!!

So, is it an ideal way to teach skiing? Absolutely not! ...But in a sensible world, girls would walk around in Hush Puppy shoes and drive in Nissan Micras! Laughing
snow conditions
streaky, ok, 5 to 1. much better ratio!

I agree there are better ways, but it's better than nothing. If someone asked my advice I'd suggest they did one of these courses spread over 3 sessions, I think greater progress would be made overall.
ski holidays
In my ski in a day at Cast' 5 years ago I ended up being the only one Shocked

One to one tuition. I was skiing parrell and linking turns by just after lunch. snowHead

I always advise people to give the ski in a day package a go. It was great for me.
latest report
Update: so far my friend's day did not get off to a very good start. She lots her balance early on in the morning and twisted her back. The kind people at the Snowdome have offered for her to repeat the day at her convenience, but she's not had a chance yet. Might be next year now as their prices have gone up for the winter season.
ski holidays
queen bodecia, that's a shame. Sounds nasty, hope it doesn't put her off. I've not come across that injury - sounds like she twisted awkwardly, perhaps trying to stop herself falling. Is she quite nervous?
ski holidays
When I said there were 3 classes of 15... I meant... there were 3 classes... of 15 (ish) complete newbie students Toofy Grin each being taught simutaneously on the nursery slope. Wasn't a problem though, as we weren't travelling very far or fast anyway!
latest report
beanie1, sorry only just spotted your reply. She didn't fall, I think she twisted to stop herself falling as you described. She was extremely nervous and not enjoying herself at all. Which surprised me as this is the girl who travelled round the world for a year by herself including a skydive, white water-rafting and trekking in the Himalayas. I can't see how the Tamworth Snowdome can be scary after all that. But I guess it's easy for someone like me who first went skiing at the age of 8, to say that.
snow report
queen bodecia, any update on this ? did your friend do the day again ?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rayscoops, nope she has chickened out. She didn't enjoy it at all and is terrified of hurting herself again.

I shall have to try and think of better birthday presents in future.
ski holidays
oh, what a shame! Bring her to Hemel, we'll share our obsession and love of the sport with her! Plus the place is wallpapered in nice pictures of mountains, so it makes you think you're on a cool mountain top (kind of!).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy