Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Never Been To Europe, Where to go Skiing in January?

Poster: A snowHead
national train sites work fine - i always book train tickets online and print tickets at home. keep trying Smile

Gas is roughly 8-10 bucks a gallon, and freeways have tolls. Its a pricey affair, car rental in Europe.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
laurenl wrote:

I was trying to look at train tickets but I kept getting error messages saying to call the booking office. If it ends up cheaper we'll probably do that as opposed to renting.... I guess gas is much more expensive there. NehNeh

Train Websites:
Swiss Railways. Note that Swiss Railways do a Swiss Transfer ticket that covers (return) travel from any Swiss airport to any swiss resort. It's a special rate ticket that can only be be bought from abroad ie you can't buy it once you've arrived in Switzerland. However if you're combining several countries and resorts it may not be the best option.

French Railways

Austrian Railways

Italian Railways
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks! yes, it's the Dru from the Flegere midstation. There's another one from the same day in my Chamonix set here Smile

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chaletlaforet/sets/72157603867305137/
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would still contend that four days is not nearly enough for Chamonix. You'll want at least two days for the Grandes Montets sector. Two for Flegere-Brevent. If you want to ski the Vallee Blanche, that's a day. Le Tour? Do you want to ski a day or two in Cournemeyer in Italy? It's included in the ski pass, and there is a free bus. So why wouldn't you take that opportunity to ski in Italy as well? So that's seven or eight days right there. Less time makes no sense to me, but that's just the opinion of one guy on the internet.

Many people will also tell you that you need/really want a car in Chamonix. They have a point, but an over-stated one in my opinion. Yes, the area is spread out, and a car makes getting around easier. But there are also free buses. Are they a hassle? Sure. Are they enough of a hassle to justify the expense of a car? In my opinion no.

It looks like you can get a train from Geneva to Chamonix in about 3:30. There are also direct charter buses from the airport. One thing to keep in mind, the route the train takes will go very close to Verbier as well as Portes du Soliel. My advice would be to plan seven days in Chamonix and then three or four in Verbier or Portes du Soliel, plus a day in Geneva on either end. Zermatt is quite a trek from Chamonix on the train.

That's how I see it. Others no doubt will see it differently.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
gortonator, But the cars do much better mpg! wink wink wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Transfers are cheaper, quicker and better than the bus or train to go GVA > CHX. I recommend Cham-van but there are plenty of others. A car is handy but absolutely not essential - but factor in the flexibility to follow the best conditions and it could still be well worth it.
Personally I think that if you're keen on seeing a bit more of Europe, you could have a great time in Chamonix in 5 days. I dunno if you really *need* 2 days for each of those areas, and I'd probably pass on Le Tour in favour of going to Zermatt rather than Verbier - it's tricky to get to, true, but really, really worth it. But then I am not crazy about Verbier TBH, though the mountain's great.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If the snowfall is good, surely the Dolomites are highly reccomended for their beauty. I know the snow can often be dodgy especially for off piste. But with the Hidden Valley (not off piste) and Val Mezdi (off piste), the skiing is pretty special.

Only a suggestion, what you think? You could then link it with looping round to St.Anton and then back to Switzerland or onwards to Venice.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
laurenl, in your place I would also be tempted to do what you're intending (ie 3 areas) but I think limiting it to two at most will be a better experience.

As others said: accommodation in that period is easy to find, which is a huge plus as you can book nothing in advance and follow the snow.

I would say that at least one of the following should be on your list: Chamonix, Verbier, St Anton. You could go to two of these and that's already much more than you can begin to "cover" in 10-12 days, and should give you a good perspective on some great European skiing. Cham needs a week to even see all the areas.

For pure scenery Cham and Verbier beat St Anton in my book, but the St Anton apres-ski has to be experienced. The skiing is fantastic in all three if you get good snow.

Other huge areas worth considering are Espace Killy (Val d'Isere/ Tignes) and the Dolomites (if snow is good)... and many others of course. If you really want three areas you could cheat and count Zermatt as your tourist destination instead of say Venice and get to ski for the whole period. It's cultural, too, with the skiing over the mountain into Italy. Mmmm, Italian food...

Something that hasn't been mentioned: are you on the TGR forums? They are far more US-based but there are a number of Euro skiers there and you might get to hook up with good skiers who know local areas. PLEASE NOTE they are far less welcoming to new members than snowheads, although we the Eurobunch tend to play nicer.

Flying into Zurich or even Geneva will allow you to head almost anywhere with a car - I'm partial to having a car for flexibility in chasing the snow, but that's indeed likely to end up more expensive. Swiss rentals will come with winter tyres and with motorway tax paid. Austria motorway tax is relatively low, French higher but you shouldn't need to drive a lot on French motorways.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Something that hasn't been mentioned: are you on the TGR forums? They are far more US-based but there are a number of Euro skiers there and you might get to hook up with good skiers who know local areas. PLEASE NOTE they are far less welcoming to new members than snowheads, although we the Eurobunch tend to play nicer.

I would use the search function extensively before starting a thread over there.

Props to firebug, on the photo - that is a stunning shot of the Dru.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
easiski wrote:
gortonator, But the cars do much better mpg! wink wink wink

and are so small Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
gorilla wrote:
Quote:

I would use the search function extensively before starting a thread over there.

Very good advice wink . But you don't need to start your very own TGR thread (with all the associated danger of receiving a somewhat unwelcoming response). Just head over directly to the "Snow for Euros" thread and ask your questions there. You will also find tons of useful information and great euro-pictures in this thread. Of course, there are also a lot of 'stand-alone-Euro-threads' to be found on TGR. I guess you can spend quite a many evenings there only studying euro-snow Smile.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for all the help, again, everyone! Smile
I am in the process of moving to a new rental but once things settle down I'm sure I'll be back with more questions.. I'll have to check out that other forum, but be a lurker.. Neh Neh

I am content with not seeing all of Chamonix- its not going to happen.. a taste of it will be perfectly fine by me, and if/when I come back I'll have a good idea of where to start.

1 day for jet lag/Geneva, 5 days Chamonix, 4 at Verbier and 2 to travel and see Venice? I don't need to ski the entire vacation... I don't forsee myself being in stellar ski shape at the beginning of January, b/c Colorado isn't the best in Nov/Dec.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
laurenl, Venice is quite a trek from here (Chamonix). We took the train and it was about 8 hours or so (from Geneva). Factor in getting from whatever resort you're and you're looking at at least a day each way sitting in trains. No direct flights from Geneva either.

Having been there recently, it is a splendid thing to see, but Paris (for example) is easier to get to (3.5 hours by TGV) and just as interesting. There's loads to see in the Geneva area anyway without skiing.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name, I was thinking Venice wouldn't be worth it. Haven't been, my sister visited last month. I still reckon the Dolomites are worth a couple of days. 6 hours 30 to the Dolomites from Chamonix according to google keeping to motorway speed limits. For someone who travels long distances, this done late evening or early morning wouldn't be considered an awful way of spending time.

Paris is probably a very good suggestion with the TGV making better use of your time and it is very beautiful in parts.

Is Verbier really worth 4 days when you have such limited time? Zermatt is surely worth a day away from the powder for the views, not being too far away.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
More people are recomending Verbier as opposed to Zermatt, and Verbier is closer...
I know nothing about the ski areas and thats why I'm asking for recomendations. Is Verbier not worth it?

Under a new name, I wouldn't be returning to Geneva after Venice- Northwest/Delta Airlines, who I have all my frequent flier miles with, would allow a Denver-Geneva and Venice-Denver to count as a round trip flight.

Given Venice or Paris I would choose Venice.. I'll have to ask the boyfriend though.
latest report
laurenl,
Heres some suggestions for your itinerary.

You could consider flying Geneva-Venice (or most other European cities)
The airlines that fly that route are Alitalia, Lufthansa, and Flybaboo.
Verbier and Chamonix are probably regarded as the 2 big off-piste resorts and they are close to each other. You can get the train from Verbier (Le Chable neighboring Village) to Geneva.
It is also possible to check your baggage right through to Swiss train stations. Try to avoid Geneva Airport on Saturdays in Winter its a better day to be on the slopes.
You wont need a car in Verbier and although it would be handy in Chamonix you can still use the Free ski bus between its various ski areas. Verbier is a large lift linked area.

You could spend all your time in Verbier and not do all of it. It is a big ski area. If you want off-piste Verbier is well worth it. (I hope so I'm spending the winter there ) wink
On that note if you do Verbier it would be cool to meet up for some skiing and I might even be interested in sharing the cost of a guide! and who knows there may even be more snowheads or some of my friends interested in this too. Guides off piste are to be highly recommended if you don't know the area really well. I would probably be interested in spending a day in Chamonix and as I will have my car with me and be returning to Verbier so this could be a handy lift for you between the 2 areas in either direction. (For no more than the cost of the fuel or maybe a one day Chamonix lift pass wink ) You might not need to hire a car at all.

I'm hoping to be able to confirm my winter plans soon. The only thing I'm almost sure of is I would have to do the Chamonix Verbier trip before Jan 9th.

Bear it in mind and if I can be useful let me know.
snow report
laurenl, I have spent a lot of time in Paris, and a week around Venice. I could lose myself in Paris, on the other hand I would be looking for a ticket to Milan from Venice. Just my opinion. Venice is extraordinary. Just not worth 8 hours on the train there and back.

Per RPF there is only one direct Geneva-Venice flight on Baboo and it's expensive. Alitalis, Swiss/LH change somewhere.
snow conditions
Yes, but I am only going one way... As in, if I go to Venice I will NOT be taking any sort of train or car or bus back to Geneva, Verbier, Chamonix or anywhere else in Europe.. I'll be flying straight back to Denver--- flight from Venice to JFK to DIA. if its 8 hours, there, well-- that isn't bad when you're used to driving around the States.
snow report
laurenl, err, it's a day out of a vacation spent on Italian trains. Not my choice Laughing
snow report
laurenl, http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1287634#1287634

This thread has recently been resurrected on the forum starts out with transfer company in question being slated they defend themselves and come out shining. They are worth a look for going from Geneva-Chamonix in either direction €35 per person you cant really go wrong.
snow report
Thanks RPF, I'll look into em. And we would definitely be interested in meeting up for some skiing! Smile We would probably be willing to hitch a ride as well if it works out. Once I figure out how to sent private messages I'll shoot you one of those when I have a more concrete idea of whats happening.

Trains... I've never actually been on a long train ride... just commuter trains in Chicago, which suck. There's windows, though, it'd be kinda scenic. Hopefully. XD If not thats what sleeping is for.
latest report
laurenl, Geneva-Venice is scenic in parts. Italian trains (unless you're on one of the new ones) are not in the same league as most trans-European services. No bar, restaurant or anything. Seat don't recline, no tables, etc.

But really, why make such a long hike to get to somewhere when there are oodles of other places so much nearer that are equally worth visiting? (Paris, Lausanne, Montreux, Lyon, Geneva itself (although, as a tourist Venice is a little more interesting than Geneva...))

Or, ski the Dolomites. - they're near Venice.

I just hate to think of you putting in such effort when it makes little sense to me. Of course, if you've harboured a dream to visit Venice since you were tiny, then don't let me put you off. There's just much easier options that will be equally rewarding. Also, Venice is eye-wateringly expensive. At least where we went. Value for money is not its strong point.
ski holidays
laurenl,
Sounds good. Swiss trains are awesome they keep time like swiss watches!
To send a PM either click user / super-snowhead under the persons name or go to send/read messages just under the snowheads banner at the top of the page.
Till then enjoy the planning it gets me through the 49 weeks of the year I'm not skiing!!!
ski holidays
It's starting to sound like the stereotypical American tourist mistake of "let's spend all the time criscross all over Europe and see a few far flung corners" again.

Ski Chamonix and Verbier and visit Pairs. Or visit Venice and ski the Dolomites. Skiing Cham and wasting a full day to ride a train to Venice just doesn't make sense. Would you advice some one to ski Whistler but NOT visit Vancouver, and instead train half way across the country to visit Montreal?
ski holidays
laurenl, FWIW I would choose Zermatt over Verbier every time + it's iconic wheras Verbier has a very big ski area and lots of off piste, but for a first visit to Europe, I wouldn't recommend it - it's not the same sort of thing!
ski holidays
laurenl, I would agree totally with easiski, Zermatt beats Verbier every time for Iconic skiing. Especially as you are wanting to tick the Europe box! Also give Venice a miss. It is not a city that is worth going to if you are on a short visit to Europe, sure it has canals and gondolas but Paris is as attractive and altogether more pleasant!
latest report
Roy Hockley, Venice and Paris are not remotely comparable. I love them both, but for entirely different reasons.
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
Roy Hockley, Venice and Paris are not remotely comparable. I love them both, but for entirely different reasons.

agree 100%.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hurtle, gortonator, sure, agree 100% but if you had 48 hours and your travel times were 3.5 vs 8-10 hours each way, which would you do?
latest report
under a new name, the shorter, for sure. Smile
snow report
This is the link for forwarding your baggage. Interesting service as it is Swiss it will work. You could just keep enoght stuff for your Geneva Jet lag day and get the rest sent on to Verbier or Zermatt train station.

http://mct.sbb.ch/mct/en/reisemarkt/services/im-bahnhof/reisegepaeck/flyrail-baggage.htm
snow report
under a new name wrote:
Hurtle, gortonator, sure, agree 100% but if you had 48 hours and your travel times were 3.5 vs 8-10 hours each way, which would you do?

depends - if I only have to go one way (which I think Lauren is planning to Venice), and/or if I can travel on train overnight (esp after a ski day) and save myself the cost of a hotel for a night. Always options ...
snow conditions
gortonator, you ever taken the overnight Geneva-Venice train(s)?
latest report
Quote:

although, as a tourist Venice is a little more interesting than Geneva...

the understatement of the year. Geneva is useful as a transport link, but it's definitely one of the duller European cities. And at that time of year it's quite likely just to be chilly, damp and drear, without a flake of snow in sight.
latest report
under a new name wrote:
gortonator, you ever taken the overnight Geneva-Venice train(s)?

not recently, but have probably done more overnight train jorney's in Europe than most people. Great way to save time and money if you need to.
ski holidays
But I don't have 48 hours. I definitely do not want to be skiing the entire trip. For one, that'd be exhausting; two, expensive, and three; there's more to Europe than skiing.

What I want to do: Land in Geneva, *maybe* give a day for jetlag but it depends when we land, otherwise head straight for Chamonix. 4 days Chamonix. 1 day- head to Verbier. 3 days there. 4 days to get to and explore Venice. Give or take 2 days.

Still, Venice appeals more to me than Paris. I don't have my heart set on either- someday I'd like to make it to both, for sure.

Maybe I should look into the Dolomites then, and some sort of Austrian resort.. fly in Munich, fly out Venice..
*shrugs* I have time to decide.
latest report
It's certainly easy to hit great places like St Anton/Arlberg from Munich, and you're much more convenient for Venice from there. Innsbruck is a really nice town too if you want a relaxing day, and Munich is obviously well worth a visit.
latest report
Or just fly straight into Innsbruck and do the city/ski thing all in the same go (ski during the day and city life at night)! It's a lovely city in its own right and you can see the slopes right from the city centre.

Then, train to say St. Anton (or another Austrian resort) for a few days. The famous "apres ski" in Austria must be experienced to believe!

Then, move onto the Dolomites for some more skiing and Venice for more city stuff.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy