Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

In zell am see now to ski or not to ski? Quick reply needed!

Poster: A snowHead
To ski or not to ski? , that is the question! We have just arrived in zell am see and tomorrow is
my first wedding aniversary. We only have tomorrow here and then we are Heading back as we are touring germany in my campervan and have to get back to London next week. Anyway the weather has been bad with rain and cold for last 24 hrs. Through the mist I can see snow on zells mountain down to 1500 m! Or lower. The landlady of the hotel says the glacier at kaprun will have loads of fresh snow tommorow! Do I go or not? The wife doest fancy it but says I should go. We also have no ski gear so will have to hire everything Inc socks and gloves. Do they do that ? Will prob cost a small fortune for a few hours sliding!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 18-07-09 18:54; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sorry for spelling it's hard to judge on the iPhone!

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 18-07-09 18:54; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Do it if you can afford it and it doesn't upset your wife too much! It's still gotta be better than skiing in a snow dome even if it is just a few hours.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Do it and then post photos!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Go!

Its still open down to 2500 (Alpincenter) Giving you almost 500 meters of vertical.

I had lots of fun there training last october for my (first)instructors level.
The run between glacier and alpincenter must be the artificial they made when I was there last October Wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
daveqpr, Does your insurance cover you for skiing?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Socks? I only ever wear normal socks. I had a dream last night that I was at Glencoe with no kit. I would say do it if you can and make sure you make it up to your wife the rest of the time! wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes fully covered insurance wise. We are now both going as wife has agreed it's a good idea. Will give snow report tomorrow! Alarm set for 6 30 as lifts open at 8 am.
It's still raining and cold in zell am
see a 2300 so guess the glacier will be good
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
daveqpr, Thats the spirit sir ski them like you stole them
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We're off to Saalbach next week FOR A SUMMER HOLIDAY. There's snow at the top of the Schattberg.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The Saalbach webcams today showed it's white over from mid-station level on the Zwolferkogel upwards. What's going on?! I was there in mid-June and it was the same. Yet I've been there twice in August and it's been boiling. As for skiing the Kitzsteinhorn at Kaprun, the most frustrating experience was the last weekend of April 2008, when I took a couple of non-skiing friends up there in the afternnon just to take a look and saw some of the nicest skiing conditions ever - fresh snow everywhere, blue sky, perfect pistes, and my gear back in Saalbach. If it clears tomorrow, it could be idyllic - fingers crossed! As for next week, that could be idyllic too if the weather changes. Let me know if you want/need any recommendations. (Give my regards to Bobby et al!)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
6 30 update
the sky is blue and can see snow on the mountains ! It looks to be as
low as about 1300 m! We are getting ready now to drive to kaprun. If you are there look out for a yellow and White vw camper (L reg 1973)
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A full foot of fresh at the Alpincenter; so i bet even more on the glacier....

You lucky man!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I guess I noticed this too late, but it might still be helpful for someone else. At the moment it's not really right time for skiing Wink Temperatures are way too high, and snow is everything but great. Last week friend of mine was up on Molltaler glacier (with bike not with skis) and temperature up at 2800m was +12c. You can imagine how snow looks and feels on summer sun and +12c. Today might actually be a bit better after all that snowfall yesterday, but it's still far from good skiing. So personally I wouldn't even think about going to ski at the moment, unless I would really have to go because of training. July and August were always worse skiing of a season back in my racing days, but at that time I had to go, now when I ski for fun, I don't need to anymore, so I don't go in summer Wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I bet the morning will still be fun, even the late morning (but then I have always rather enjoyed slush).
snow report
primoz
Quote:
A full foot of fresh at the Alpincenter

Quote:

can see snow on the mountains ! It looks to be as
low as about 1300 m!

Quote:

So personally I wouldn't even think about going to ski at the moment,
EHHHHHH Puzzled

I'm with snowball, I like slush - but it sounds like anything but slush at the moment.

daveqpr You jammy tw@t!! A foot of powder in July!! It'll be worth every penny. Hope you had a great day. I'm off to Tignes in 2 weeks but not anticipating any powder Sad - looking forward to it though as skiing is skiing in my book Very Happy
ski holidays
Ok now back at hotel. We had a great day. There was as reported about a foot of powder at alpine center. I could tell from the acumillatiins on the tables. We got there at 7 45 this morning, got our lift pass (30eur) and went up the glacierjet. Got to alpine center about 8 10 and we were quickliy sorted with our skis and clothes (50eur) then straight onto the chairlift and then the long drag to the top. There was no one on the runs so when we went down we were skiing fresh tracks on freshly groomed courdroy slopes on July 19! It was a fantastic feeling and I was soon zooming down the piste. A few more runs and it started filling up and getting choppy. I got a bit cocky and went off piste! Unfortunately it was so deep and as I didn't prepare for the depth my ski got stuck and I did a total face
plant. Covered in snow (powder) I lay there for a while thinking this can't be July. I soon got up only to find that I slightly pulled my thigh though not too bad. We decided to go down for a short rest and grub. We ordered delicious goulasche soup and hot gluewhein, all the while I'm thinking it can't be July! After that we got the cable car to the Top and done another 5 or 6 runs. By about 1pm it was really becoming heavy so we decided to quit after some really good skiing(I ve skied worse conditions in feburary)
another gluewhein and then down to the bottom by 2 30 pm a great day.

We spent this afthernoon by the lake in glorious sunshine sipping beer and watching a paracending contest
a great day all in all.
Now to celebrate our 1st wedding anverssary this evening by having a nice meal and some bubbly.

Got loads of pictures but can't post till at least a week Monday as we still have another week touring

once again sorry for any spelling misake!
ski holidays
daveqpr, Good call and cheers for the report. Very envious. Congratulations on anniversary too. Going green
snow report
daveqpr, sounds like a great day - you just hit the weather right. Look forward to some pics. snowHead
ski holidays
mountainaddict, yes I know how current (read: yesterday's) situation in Alps around here was. Afterall I'm living here Smile But one day with temperatures around 0c and snow down to 800m (at some places) doesn't mean much. Today's temperatures are different already, and temperatures above zero and strong summer sun doesn't make great skiing day. Believe me, I have spend whole bunch of time on glaciers in July, August and September, so I know how it is... even after cold, snowy day, such as yesterday was. But then again, it all depends on personal preference what someone considers as good skiing conditions Smile
latest report
primoz

I was being a bit tongue in cheek Toofy Grin.
Quote:

Believe me, I have spend whole bunch of time on glaciers in July, August and September, so I know how it is... even after cold, snowy day, such as yesterday

So have I (May & June too Toofy Grin ) and so do I. However, although I have spent some time in the Alps (er, admittedly never for more than a week at a time!) I have never had the pleasure of living there. IMO, living there breeds a different mentality, eg with seasonnaires.

Being a fully paid up member of the rat race, my mind can quite often wander to a scorching day in Tignes, skiing mush on the 10km of open piste.....a man can dream! On the other hand I have known seasonnaires who start off skiing every day, rain or shine. That then becomes not bothering where visibility is less than perfect....which finally becomes skiing only on blue sky powder days. All quite understandable I suppose.
Quote:

But then again, it all depends on personal preference what someone considers as good skiing conditions

Agreed!!
ski holidays
Well primoz is obviously entitled his opinion; but there are people out there who do enjoy summer skiing.... even when living out there for years.
snow report
Yes - me for one! It's so nice on the glacier in the summer - not freezing and miserable like it can be in the winter. Even on a bad day it's never as cold, and if it's miserable then the glacier is practically empty. Very Happy TBH though, when I don't have work I don't go up that often, but it's still great when I make the effort. Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
Never freezing? Smile You have to experience snow storm with strong winds at around 3000m in middle of summer then, and you will change your mind Very Happy Otherwise best time for skiing, at least for me, was middle or late September. There's new snow already, it's still warm (a bit over 0c) and nights are cold already, so snow is really good.
But as I said, it up to each person to decide what he or she likes or not. I had enough of ugly black slush during my racing years, so now I rather wait till tale September or early October for skiing. I would surely love to go skiing now, but I know I will be disappointed next second I will put skis on, so I rather just wait. But that's just me Smile
latest report
daveqpr, I am so jealous! Glad you had a fab day. Hope Anniversary evening went well wink
latest report
You are indeed a very luck couple!
snow report
primoz, I have worked 10-11 summers here, and when I worked in Scotland (20 odd years ago) I used to always take my holidays summer skiing on Heini Messner's camps. Granted it can be cold and miserable - but when it's cold and miserable - high winds, blizzards etc. the ambient temperature isn't nearly as cold as winter. Actually at the start of the first week of our summer camp I was complaining that it was cold, and some of the campers thought I was bonkers! Having to wear a winter jacket with a couple of fleeces is a cold day in summer, whereas in winter I wear upwards of 6-7 layers, and frequently 2 extreme jackets. Shocked Shocked Shocked

I LOVE SUMMER SKIING! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
You don't have to like summer skiing. You don't even have to ski in the summer. And you certainly don't have to be such a wet blanket when other do and like it! rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I need to get off this forum I find myself dreaming of Ski trips in strange locations eg my local park and strange things keep going wrong :\
snow report
Just Back...... first pic will post more soon............
The wife skiing fresh tracks.................

overnight snowfall july 19!
ski holidays
beautiful - im glad it worked out for you dave,

not sure about goin off piste on a glacier after some of the stories ive read on here
latest report
daveqpr, great shots, very jealous!!!
snow report
daveqpr,

Fantastic!!!!!!!
snow report
daveqpr, wow, that looks amazing.
snow report
daveqpr, So jealous, lovely pics!
snow report
daveqpr, Looks pretty awesome. Nice work.
snow conditions
daveqpr wrote:
first pic will post more soon....

Ok I take back what I wrote Smile At least for morning it looks like you had some great skiing. Smile
ski holidays

my campervan in base station car park
snow report
daveqpr, Nice pix, I'm so glad you actually did it. Very Happy
ski holidays
daveqpr, You lucky bug&er. Pics look great.
Who needs a hot summer holiday when you can ski!!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy