Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland this weekend

Poster: A snowHead
brian, yipee!!!!

Although i may utilise the weekend to do some winter walking, its been a while since i donned my crampons, although itll be a wrench not to join the queues at Cairngorm/Glenshee and don my planks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
tomski01, combine the two. Walk up and ski down. wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skanky, Smile

I would love to one day, but my skiing is not quite up to that yet (nor is my back carrying them all the way up!), ski touring does sound fun but dont have any of the kit Sad

That said, a days walking along some nice airy and snowy ridges miles from the nearest person will be good too, god i love Scotland! snowHead

Blue Mark, very jealous, looked ace on the cams yesterday! although it was fab on Wednesday and Friday too, although driving from leeds to Aviemore and back twice in 3 days and skiing has taken its toll a little on my body a bit, but boy was it worth it! snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
tomski01,
Quote:

I would love to one day, but my skiing is not quite up to that yet (nor is my back carrying them all the way up!), ski touring does sound fun but dont have any of the kit

Hire it, Mountain Spirit hire (AFAIR) AT and tele touring kit in Aveimore (they are near the railway station). I've got AT and Tele gear, but haven't done much touring on it yet. Been practising my tele turns recently on lift serviced terrain just nned a lot more practise to get them to a decent standard!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There was some nice powder to be had at cairngorm yesterday and its snowing again, yippee!!!! Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Gunni, welcome to snowHead snowHeads snowHead . Had a look at your profile and I see you instruct boarding at Cairngorm. Hope the rest of the season goes well for you all up there. Cool
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Flying into Glasgow early on Friday morning, flying back out on Monday night.

Will have to be Glencoe on Friday to get an afternoon in. But then looks like east will be best for powder, but west will be best for overhead conditions. Quite fancy doing Glencoe Friday, Cairngorm on Saturday, Glenshee on Sunday and then Nevis on Monday. Will need to see how the conditions are looking day to day though. Should be a good long weekend though.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lager,

Good scheme. You bound to hit good snow this way. It is about the right condition that you can ski all of them without getting disappointed, including Lecht. You have to time your arrival and getting to the resort as early as possible is a must.
snow report
 brian
brian
Lager, might be worth thinking about changing your order to include Nevis on the Sat or Sun, in my experience it doesn't get quite as busy as the others. Cairngorm and Glenshee will be mobbed this weekend. Also cut down your travelling a lot if you do it in the order Glencoe -> Nevis -> Cairngorm (via the A86) -> Glenshee (via the Lecht).

Weather looks great, thaw/freeze on Thursday night/Friday, probably snow on the back edge of the cold front, certainly snow showers Friday and Saturday. Wind might be a problem, but should ease on Saturday and Sunday/Monday looks lovely with a big high pressure in control.

I'm heading up tomorrow, so I'll give you a first hand report tomorrow night.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Look forward to your report Brian.

I'm thinking of heading up again this weekend, possibly for a day at either Glenshee or Cairngorm. Glenshee's looking favourite because it's a bit closer to Glasgow and i've not been there yet.

From the reports i've been following on winterhigland.com i don't think they'll be too much difference in the weather for these two.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Blue Mark,

I have a job to find the nice condition showed in Winterhighland.com.

Last week Caringorm was white. There were odd stones and rock at the bottom. Glenshee is a different story.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
18" of fresh snow at cairngorm apparently, and still snowing!! snowHead snowHead

Glensee are claiming "best conditions for years", whatever that means, the cairngorm webcams are certainly looking promising, not a rock in sight at the daylodge (in fairness cant see much on the summit cam!). snowHead snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I hadn't seen that thread Saikee.

There are some extremes of photos on there!

I think it will be better after these past few days though
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
on the ski-scotland site Glenshee are saying that they will try open the rails and terrain park above the Butcharts, once they have 'found' the rails....presumably because they are buried in snow! snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Never mind the Alps. The webcam of today at caringorm is the best I have even seen. Have to go to London as the son is moving out his flat this weekend but it would really be a sad loss if snowheads can't take the opportunity to strike when the snow is at its deepest in the Scottish resorts.
snow conditions
Wow, now that does look tempting. This weekend is a no go for me, but lets hope the conditions hold for a few weeks.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
I decided to go to Glenshee and had a great day. Conditions much improved since I was last there on the weekend of the 19th/20th of February. However, the cover is still very uneven and some runs are just not there at all. Wind direction during snowfall must've been pretty unusual. I can hardly remember Carn Aosda having such good cover but yet the Tiger is almost bare !

The snow that is there is in great nick and the open runs are pretty much full width between the fences. Anyway a picture's worth a thousand words so .......

Sunnyside runs, cover pretty good.
Small queue waits in anticipation.
An endangered species ? The tiger.
But looking good towards Butchart's and Carn Aosda.
Coire Fionn, full cover.

More later when I've had my tea Laughing
snow conditions
brian,

Good report and photos. I would say it is pretty good by Glenshee standard. I too was disappointed by the lack of snow in the Tiger. Your Sunnyside is a lot whiter than the one I saw last Friday on 25 Feb and I notice there are more snow everywhere. Glenshee own web site claimed now is the best condition for years.

The best snow condition among the Scottish resorts should still be Caringorm, according to their Webcam.

Snowheads should go up North while the going is good. Take the Friday off and enjoy.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Thanks saikee. It's the best conditions at Glenshee since 2001. Mind you, that's not saying much as the last couple have been abysmal.

2001 was an epic, the best I've experienced at Glenshee in over 20 years of going there.

Some more snaps ....

Glas Maol red, unpisted
Some of these tracks are mine.
The Glas Maol poma, note black run still has poor cover, you can see the gully's not filled in.
but the red is great, loads of snow.
Brian in unrealistically-proud-of-tracks shocker.
Embarassed
.... and room for a few more.
Over on the Cairnwell, and hardly a flake on the ridge, usually reliably wide and deep.
Glenshee's trois vallées, sunnyside, meall odhar and glas maol Laughing
Good cover on Butchart's and Carn Aosda.
snow conditions
Thanks for the report and the pics there Brian.

I'm heading up there as soon as I can finish work today Smile
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Blue Mark, should be a cracker, especially Sunday.

Mind you, since word of this snow is well and truly out it's going to be mobbed. If you're contemplating Cairngorm I'd aim to be there for 8am. Much later and you won't get in the car park !
ski holidays
Hope anybody heading to the scottish resorts has a good days skiing, unfortunately unable to fit a trip in this weekend.
Managed to ski at Glencoe the last 2 saturdays, hope the weather is good, this picture was taken last saturday morning, and proves that it's not all gloom and doom for the scottish resorts

http://www.frostybear.net/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/483/sort/1/cat/503/page/1
ski holidays
We might not be able to handle the snow when we get it, but hey have you ever been on a single track road in france?

Anyway heres the proof that it can almost be the same, this video was taken on thursday at Glenshee and what a great day it was.

http://www.theteuchterlads.co.uk/videos/glenhigh.htm

Enjoy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
macphee70, Great video - the conditions look fantastic. Let's hope it stays like that for the rest of the season - might get the lift companies at least partially out of a hole. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
macphee70, oh if only it was like that more often. Make the most of it while it lasts. snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
macphee70, fantastic video!!!!! I'm defo feeling the sickies coming on this week!
snow conditions
macphee70 - Hope you got back safely on Thursday. When I came back saw a pranged motor limping along towards Braemer and was told there had been a lot of prangs on that road and it had been closed with Police dragging people out Sad

I was up at Aviemore all last week skiing both Cairngorm and Glenshee and couldn't believe how good the conditions were at Cairngorm. Only problem was the Ptarmigan area being closed a lot during the week due to low visibility which was a shame.
Glenshee was strange as the Carn Aosda side had decent cover with only small areas showing peaty snow but the Sunnyside was less complete with plenty of brown snow showing with large number of icy patches in places.
This was strange as the further over you went the better it got and the Glas Maol run was great with the large hillside of unpisted powder a joy to ski after being hemmed in at Cairngorm. The views at Glenshee were a joy to behold and the best i've seen skiing in Scotland so far Smile
The video above of the run over to the Lecht looked familiar. I think that was the day they closed the road in the afternoon so I struggled to get back as a number of other roads were closed too. May be worth planning your alternative routes before going that route as appears those roads are a bit unreliable.
I'm thinking of going up again in a week or two's time but looking at the forecasts it looks like there's going to be a thaw with freezing level rising to 900m+ Sad
Do you guys reckon this rise in temp next week or two will put an end to the joy?
snow conditions
Just back from Glenshee - got up early (6:30) to clear skies and no wind, left house at 7:30, buying day pass at 8:30, off the top of the Sunnyside chair before 9AM.

Coire Fionn and Glas Maol quite good skiing but long queues at the pomas. Back to carpark for an early lunch around 12:00 and headed up to Carn Aosda, nice skiing again on this side especially Butcharts ( Race track was nice too but got ticked off as we headed down thinking the racing was finish but they were just between runs wink ). All in all, an excellent days skiing.

Apart from the very occasional bit of cloud on the tops, it was clear and sunny all day. Got a bit cold around 4PM as the sun dropped below the hill tops. Views from the tops were absolutely fantastic, wish I'd taken a camera, the hills were spectacular, white as far as I could see.

If only we could have this weather and about 1 more metre of snow, wouldn't need to go abroad at all.

AW
ski holidays
 brian
brian
rockyrobin wrote:

I'm thinking of going up again in a week or two's time but looking at the forecasts it looks like there's going to be a thaw with freezing level rising to 900m+ Sad
Do you guys reckon this rise in temp next week or two will put an end to the joy?

No, it shouldn't be a problem. The forecast is for high pressure to be dominant so it should be mainly dry. Snow loss would be pretty slow under these conditions.

The snow we have now could last well into May if the weather plays ball.

It's mild, wet weather that really damages the snowpack.

Edit: Just had a look at the weather for the week ahead. Never mind slow snow loss, going into the weekend we could be looking at another decent sized dump snowHead Winds all the way from the north pole !
ski holidays
>> The snow we have now could last well into May if the weather plays ball.

I hope so, I skied on my birthday, May 15th 1994 in Scotland so would like to do it again!

No that's not me with my shirt off!

Aviemore

Nevis Range

cheers,

greg
snow report
I was up in the cairngorms this weekend, decided against skiing, couldnt quite face the queues....but must say the conditions looked ace as we walked back down the White Lady after our yomp up Cairngorm on saturday....weather was rubbish tho!

Yesterday was a beautiful day, we hired some snowshoes (essential in those condtions) went up Breariach and the views were fantastic, snow everywgere and we all got sunburnt!

Walking up on the cairngorm plateau some areas were easily 2+ metres deep, measured thanks to some randomly placed bamboo sticks in the middle of nowhere (?!)

Moral of my story....I dont think the snowpack is going anywhere for a little while, snowHead
ski holidays
I think the Scottish resorts are now having the best snow for years. Time to ditch the Alps, drop everything and head North.
ski holidays
Thanks guys snowHead
I was looking out of my window and seeing how quickly the English snow dissapeared I jumped the gun a bit Embarassed
I feel better knowing some more playtime in the Highlands this Spring will likely be on the cards Very Happy
Quote:
A change will take place on Thursday night and Friday, as Arctic air returns to Britain,
bringing a period of snow southwards, followed by a cold showery weekend with strong
northerly winds. North/northeast Scotland may well have considerable snowfall. Freezing
levels will drop as low as 450m in the south, to 600m in the south

Where is the emoticon for a "happy dance" when you need one? Laughing
snow report
Good report from snowboard club uk including explanations about what is happening with the Cairngorn non-running lifts and future plans.
Quote:
Chief Executive of CairnGorm Mountain said,

“I do appreciate that by not opening some of the peripheral lifts we risk the perception of not providing a full service. Last year we had to make some serious decisions about making sure we had a business plan that could survive another poor winter. Following two of the poorest winters ever and having looked at our market and how our lifts operate we took the decision not to run some of the peripheral lifts with either a poor snow holding record or those not integrated into the mountain skier flow. This has worked well for most of the season and only on Sunday (February 27th) did this cause a problem.

“We want to provide guests with the best skiing experience we possibly can. Last Sunday the White lady did not open because of lack of snow on the tow track and it was deemed too icy and dangerous by our ski patrol. We also had a technical failure caused by a snowboarder on the West wall poma. The combined loss of two lifts did cause queues and the knock on effect was that the Funicular was also very busy.”
snow report
Saikee - or head west.

The Pennines are also having their best ski season for 10 years and with conditions turning colder at the weekend and the possibility of some more snow we should get a few more good days yet !
snow conditions
Peter S,

Got visitor this weekend and going west for half day may just what I can spare. Hope the snow stays till weekend. Thereafter I can put England down in my skiing CV Little Angel .

I spent a large number of weekends motoring on a bike around Alston in the summer and Yad Mosss is only about 50 miles from Newcastle. Have been driving 200 miles to Scotland or 650miles to the Alps for the same thing! Love to give it a try.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 8-03-05 11:49; edited 1 time in total
latest report
I was skiing Cairngorm Saturday and Sunday and lift queues were surprisingly small considering how full the car parks were. Saturday the viz was absolutely abysmal at times you could hardly see the person infront of you on the tows. That was why the ptarmigan bowl and the ciste side were closed - they were worried people would get lost and end up somewhere dangerous, like down the Ciste gulley wcich was avalanche prone. Still I managed a few runs on the M2 and the daylodge and the daylodge in particular was really nice, I had great fun teleing down it. Queues were never really big as long as you avoided the train or the carpark tow. If you needed to get up from the bottom the Faical Ridge poma was the best bet. Unfortunately this broke in the afternoon and was still beeing worked on on Sunday. Running both the lady tow and M1 meant queues on both these lifts stayed manageable. I was surprised that with the top closed the queues weren't longer, but I think with all the runs in the carpark area usable this absorbed a lot of the beginners.

Sunday was great - viz was alot better and the Aonach bowl and the runs beside the west wall were open and fun to ski with unpisted though rather heavy snow. Again I never had any really long queues. The WW poma was busy when it first opened but even then the queue was less than 10minutes and it soon quietened down. The only problem area was from the Cas car park with long queues for the funicular and the car park tow. Mainly because the Faicall ridge poma was bust. This was when the ability to run the daylodge poma would have been a big advantage.

Skiing wise I had a great day, but I need to improve my tele skiing as I failed to succesfully tele down the steeper runs particularly where they were unpisted, I had to resort to parallel turns to get down. In the afternoon I changed to AT kit so I could ski the steep unpisted runs with confidence.

Any one got any good tele tips?
snow conditions
I managed to get to Glenshee on saturday.

thanks to my balaclava, the stinging from the snow being blown horizontal wasn't too bad!

Unfortunately, the lift queues were long, but the snow was great and almost alpine powderish. Skiing back down from the top of Meall Odhar poma on the red piste which no one else seemed to be bothered about was fantastic! Couldn't quite understand why everyone seemed to head down the narrow section alongside the poma than go a bit further down the blue and cut left onto what the piste map said was a red!

Winterhighland.com is telling me that I may have to drive north again this weekend... but we'll see!
ski holidays
At Glenshee again today, early start so no queue for lift passes. Headed straight over to Glas Maol, 3rd & 4th up the tow, very cold at the top in a constant wind & blown snow, some pisting done but very difficult to find / follow, snow though was excellent. After 3/4 runs, we went back up Coire Fionn as this had now been more skied on, good skiing here with less wind and not so cold except on the tow. Had to head back to the car around 11 o'clock for a coffee to warm up (run back was very bare / icy in places with best skiing on a narrow strip against the fence. Straight up Carn Aosda to some good snow conditions again but very windy and cold at the top, Butcharts good also though narrow against the fence down to the tow. Required a bit of avoiding or straight lining the icy bits and hoping for some soft snow. After an early lunch we headed up Cairnwell, then repeated Carn Aosda & Butcharts a few times. After a hot chocolate around 2PM we skied the race track, then a few quick dashes down Claybokie finished our day as the weather closed in around 2:30.

Very cold at times, with my Buff almost constantly frozen, and i'll need to find a warmer hat! Overall not as good conditions as last weekend, more icy patches and areas scraped down to the heather (nice brown pistes, and I always thought a 'brown' piste was steeper than a black!) Still had a good day and it was snowing as we left. If the temperature stays down and we get a bit more snow, it could be very good again.

AW
ski holidays
Pictures from today: http://www.highland-instinct.co.uk/cairngorm/winter200405/mar05/13/index.html

Very nice, especially when the sun came out Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy