Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Train from Zurich to Saas Fee

Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone gone by train from Zurich to Saas Fee? The brochure from Saas Fee says the rail journey is marginally shorter now from Zurich to Visp than from Geneva (because of new tunnel). And I can get flights now to Zurich from Edinburgh.

Is it an easy enough trip to do with young family?

I know that you need to get post bus fro Visp when you arrive, but that sounds fairly painless.

Many thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lorenzo, I did Zurich Airport to Zermatt in February which is about the same, about 4 hours with 1 change in Visp. There are plenty of trains but the one out was very busy though. Zurich Airport is much more civilised than Geneva.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Colin B, thanks. It is easy to get from airport to station? Quite excited now, as ready to book this!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lorenzo, The station is under the airport.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lorenzo, Wot Colin B has said. Very easy to get down to the station - the luggage trolleys fit on the escalators. The train trip is easy. The last little bit to Saas Fee is by post bus - which integrates beautifully with the train system.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Trip is easy without kids - I did it a few years ago.
With kids ? - depends how young the kids are - mucking about with push chairs extra bags etc on trains needs some thought (my wife won't even consider the option Sad )
You might want to think about using the Swiss luggage transfer (http://mct.sbb.ch/mct/en/reisemarkt/services/im-bahnhof/reisegepaeck.htm )
don't forget the Swiss transfer ticket as well.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lorenzo,
Here is the link for getting your ticket, Swiss transfer ticket choose the 8chf Delivery option and you will have the tickets in 2 days

https://www.sbb.ch/mct/wi/shop/b2c/tree.do?key=40

Train from Station under the airport to Visp a 4 minute walk and on to a buss to Sass. All very civilised and efficent as you would expect. Cant see it being any problem great scenic journey to.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I did it a few seasons ago, and my advice is not to hang around when you get off the train and to head straight to the bus to ensure you get seats all together for you and your family
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lorenzo, We did the ZCH to Zermatt like Colin B, with the Swiss Transfer ticket (delivered to the door) - very civilized, and an easy walk to the train in ZCH airport. No need to get your transfer ticket validated as it says in the accompanying spiel either. Visp station has a supermarket and good facilities so is a good place to spend 20 mins to get a bite for the onward leg - cameras at the ready!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
You could go by train to Stalden (it's on the line to Zermatt) and catch the Post Bus from there to Saas Fee. It might not gain you anything but it is an option.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi,
Saas Fee good choice Very Happy .

My only tip is book your return bus journey from Saas Fee when you arrive at the bus depot. That way you are guaranteed to get seats for your family on the bus back to Visp, those without booked seats have to wait and get any seats that are left.

This isn't normally a problem, but at half term/school hols it can get a bit busy.

With a Swiss transfer ticket all your kids will travel free if you ask for a family pass. wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just one thing.... ensure that the Airport train goes straight through to Visp.... and you don't need to change at Zurich HBB
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for all the fantastic advice! Waiting for one more piece of info now before taking the plunge and booking up at long last. Got some cracking brochure through post today from Saas Fee tourist office. Lots of glossy info and piste map etc. Well impressed.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Heading to Saas Fee on Wed Horray! Friend of mine has a place out there and told me that under no circumstances should I go to Geneva. Zurich nicer airport better facilities and a much nicer train ride. His words not mine Doing it for the first time myself and could not belive how easy and efficent it was to order and get the tickets
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Fattes13, let us know how you get on (and post photos if you take any Smile ) - I quite fancy a summer trip to the mountains one of these days so would be good to hear what it's like...
snow report
I seem to remember a revolving restaurant up the mountain, superb view from the deck (restaurant was too busy)
snow conditions
ChrisWo, Will do we have someone with us that takes photos like a Japanese tourist
snow report
Hamish wrote:
You might want to think about using the Swiss luggage transfer (http://mct.sbb.ch/mct/en/reisemarkt/services/im-bahnhof/reisegepaeck.htm ).

Second that. Very civilized. Free yourself from all the extra luggages, especially useful if you have more than one transfer.
snow report
I'm not sure that the Swiss Fly Luggage option is of any use if you're going to Saas Fee. I think it'll only get your luggage to the nearest railway station and there isn't one in Saas Fee. However it's great if you're going to Zermatt.
latest report
rich.ll, Looks like you can ... http://mct.sbb.ch/mct/en/reisemarkt/services/im-bahnhof/reisegepaeck/flyrail-baggage/flyrail-standorte.htm
I guess it'll drop it at the post bus station.
latest report
Hamish, I sit corrected.
snow report
Thanks for all the info. We are NOW BOOKED for trip to Saas Fee. Yippee. Fly Edinburgh to Zurich. We are staying an extra night in Zurich on the way, to break journey and get us to SF nice and early.

Only remaining Q is about seat reservations for postbus. I read that you need to do this but, given that they are every 30 mins, not sure which one we will connect with. I am guessing the railway station might be able to do that for us when we arrive (ie the previous day).

Just realised it will be Easter weekend, so the whole world may be on the move!
latest report
Lorenzo, you don't need to reserve places on the bus up to Saas-Fee - they put on extra buses when its busy. However, you do need to reserve places on the bus from Saas-Fee back to Visp. Just pop into the bus station the day before you are due to leave and reserve the seats at the counter.
snow report
Luggage transfer last year was very efficient. Our hotel collected the bags from the bus station and were brought up to our rooms early the next morning. Take what you need for the night in a small bag.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy