Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Organising a skiing trip for a group

Poster: A snowHead
always29, It is very easy I agree. We do it every year for the last several. You will not need a rep in resort to show which bars have drink!!!!

God forbid there is an accident you can sort this just as easily as Mr or Miss Gap Year!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
always29, that sounds an excellent arrangement. So much depends on people's attitudes - if they want to keep costs down BUT eat well and are all prepared to make an effort when it's their turn to provide the supper, it can be a brilliant way to do it. For people who would reckon their holiday time was wasted unless they were out getting wasted, another formula is needed.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
After doing some initial canvassing of what people want, choose where you think would work and importantly where you would like go and use the phrase "I'm organising a ski holiday to ............. would you like to come?" Give an idea of cost, outline travel plans, accommodation etc. and give a short period of time for people to let you know. Once you know numbers and therefore can work out your price - don't wait for the stragglers - those who are keen will jump in and stick with you. I've been interested in the posts so far as I organise a trip every year. I use a TO but shop around for the very best deal I can and book early to get good early discounts, free ski carriage etc. I would only consider a DIY trip for around 10 people - I've had up to 30 so like an all-in deal travelling together etc. I also like easy payment although I'm shocked to hear about a TO not accepting cheques because I pay the initial deposit on my credit card and then the balance is paid by cheque so I gather up a pile of cheques and send them special delivery. I usually negotiate a bit of time between receiving individual deposit cheques (made payable to my credit card) and giving my credit card details to the TO. I can honestly say I've had no trouble at all and I've organised holidays for 7 years. The only slight problem I've had is when people have very strong feelings about where to go and as already mentioned you can't please everybody. That's why I have my phrase "I'm organising ...." at the ready. It was suggested by a good friend and works a treat as I am the sort of person trying to accommodate everybody's views which of course is impossible. I share all the free places equally and pay the same as everybody else but do get a free lift pass from the TO.

I'll be interested to know what you eventually arrange.

Good luck.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've decided the venue for everyone, your right about making descisions for others. after a few suggestions and a bit of research im going to take everyone to Soll. About to head off to the travel office now and get a bit more info and hopefully an idea of places we can stay and what may be best for my group.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Louis84, Good choice, have a ball.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
In organising group holidays:

1. Get 100% of the money up front.

2. Actually, get 110% of the money up front. There's bound to be an unexpected expense/somebody drops out and you all have to cover their costs (despite point 1). Tell everybody that there should be some money back.

3. Hedge your forex exposure.

4. Be dictatorial.

5. You need somebody who will chivvy the rest of them along. Somebody with lots of friends.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
1) Be prepared to be blamed for everything if you organise it.

2) Be prepared to be told what to do if someone else organises it.

3) Be prepared to kiss goodbye to even good friendships as a result of 1) or 2).

Absolutely thankless task. Only recommended for control freak busy bodies or hopelessly naive fools.

John.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Best bet
Go to a TO and book a holiday
Send e mails to your mates saying "I'm going on this holiday - *link* - anyone want to come, here are the contact details and booking form"

MUCH better idea

We (TO's) really can do it better wink cheaper, simpler.

Think to yourself, what if another XL airways happen to your group and you organised the flights - can you get home quickly (CAA will take a week or so), a TO can sort this no problem. What if you arrive and you have been double booked (or the hotel goes bust a week prior to you arriving), what if........etc, etc, it's "all" your fault.

There are "lots" of TO's running trips to Soll, so just contact em and see what they say.
Like I said in another thread - I "could" make my own bread and if I shop around for the flour, etc I "may" be able to do it as cheap as Tesco's, but what's the point ? I just want the bread and you just want a holiday with your mates, do you self a favour and use a TO

I know that lots of people will disagree with this Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Louis84, I've organised several large trips. I've organised trips to les deux alpes and val thorens.

UCPA could be an option for you but can be restricting regarding meal times etc. Or you could book several different apartments in the same place. (this is what we did last year)

i hire a coach when i organise trips which takes all costs of transfers etc out and if you all young etc can turn the coach drive down into a bit of a party experience. If you need any advice etc drop me a PM
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
BCjohnny wrote:
Absolutely thankless task. Only recommended for control freak busy bodies or hopelessly naive fools.

I wouldn't agree with that at all. Any of it.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
paulio wrote:
BCjohnny wrote:

It wasn't posted to garner approval.

Strike a nerve?

John.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
paulio wrote:
BCjohnny wrote:

Me neither.

I've sorted five now for between 20 and 30 each time. Nowt to it, but there again I have mates I can trust.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lots of good advice here. I've been both the TO route and the DIY route, and neither were that much trouble. The TO trip was very easy to organise but remains the only package holiday I've ever been on. I wasn't crazy about being shepherded around, issued lift pass, given pep talk, bunches of vouchers for this, that and the other - I found the whole experience to be a bit weird.

Since then I've always gone for DIY - the small amount of extra time to organise it is well worth the increased independence and flexibility in my view. But many people aren't bothered about this and just want to relax and be looked after - so a lot depends on the make-up of the group.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing I wonder what sad experience provoked such an outburst. Would probably make an entertaining thread. Any sensible person with decent friends and a little organisational skill should be able to organise a great holiday.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
BCjohnny wrote:
paulio wrote:
BCjohnny wrote:

Strike a nerve?

John.

Yeah.

It struck the "you're wrong" nerve.
snow conditions
paulio wrote:
BCjohnny wrote:
paulio wrote:
BCjohnny wrote:

Strike a nerve?

John.

Yeah.

It struck the "you're wrong" nerve.

Yeah.

Excellent retort, rolling eyes

John.
snow report
BCjohnny, Ouch!!! but you made me laugh .... Like pam w, I'd be interested to know the story behind your comment.
snow conditions
Surely nobody would have a problem organising for friends. Unless of course if you are "Billy no Mates"!
ski holidays
I've arranged a group trip for family (12) and that was ok. But it does amaze me how many people (not necessarily for skiing trips) give the hands up for stuff and then, when it comes down to paying the money, come up with the excuses.
snow report
tillywhim wrote:
BCjohnny, Ouch!!! but you made me laugh .... Like pam w, I'd be interested to know the story behind your comment.

Yeah, get HBO to buy the rights first though, lol............

No real disasters on the four I've organised, mainly because of the rules. There weren't many.

Pay, in full/in advance, no deposits/refunds, turn up at airport/pick up, if you don't want to go with the flow once there, you're more than welcome to do your own thing.

I only ever go once with trip organisers who turn into tour organisers.

Seen plenty of horror stories to know that it can try the patience of a saint, from both sides, though.

Good luck with it. You just might need it.

John.
snow conditions
Did DIY last year so this year Im trying a T/O for a group of 11.

1/ Sent E mails and facebook for people who would be interested.
2/ Got price of holiday and let everyone know
3/ Got deposits and paid the T/O
4/ Thought poo-poo Ive not added the % for using a credit card and Im not paying the whole lot!!!! doh
5/ The next payment is on Oct 1st but i will get it earlier than that. I will also add a tenner as numpty forgot to add credit card %.....................................doh!
6/ Ring T/O and sort out the skis, boots etc
7/ Pay balance Smile
8/ Price up a mini coach to Manchester
9/ Pray its been snowing and its as good as last time snowHead
10/ Get pissed
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy