Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

1100m indoor/outdoor hybrid slope opening August 26th 2011 in Druskininkai, Lithuania

Poster: A snowHead
maggi, a trip for all! We're even allowing Mr Technique along Toofy Grin
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
cathy, very happy for you to be in charge .... as ever wink tell me when you've set a date Laughing
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I THINK YOU'LL FIND that I'm in charge.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mr Technique, yebbut so far only cathy has started a plan..... wink

(why are you partly shouting?)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We're in, but only if Mr Technique concedes that there are some Snowheads he likes. Sounds frickin awesome, an indoor chairlift and everything. All they need now is sharks with laserbeams.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Monium, Laughing
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Monium will be sitting at the front of the bus, where I can keep my eye on him.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Laughing Laughing Mr Technique's one of my favourites. Underneath that soft cuddly persona....er, I've got that wrong haven't I? Confused

Mr Technique, this bus of yours, will it get us from London to Lithuania? I've 'just been looking' wink at the cost of flights - they're not cheap are they? Ryanair fly from different airports on different days, from Gatwick they don't fly Sat, but on a few random Fri-Sun within July & August the return flights were about £160-£190 without baggage. And without everything else they charge for on Ryanair.... Any tips for cheap flights? Outside school holidays better? Well in advance??
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Gatwick-Kaunas on Ryanair has always worked out at under £150 (hand luggage only) for us when we've done it in the past. I think Air Baltic probably do a Gatwick-Vilnius route. Sadly LT's national carrier went bust a few years ago, and BA and Aer Lingus both pulled their LGW-VNO route as well, so it's slim pickings nowadays.

Driving all the way there is not an option. Flights are much more plentiful to Riga, but that's then a 6 hour transfer Smile

Edit: just checked, Air Baltic no longer do London-Vilnius direct. It's a change in Riga. Sad

Ryanair it is, unless you really enjoy 24-hour road journeys through Poland.

Edit2: I would have to say there is an upside to the fact that getting to Lithuania is relatively difficult/annoying, and that's that Vilnius has so far resisted the 'cheap booze and hot East European strippers stag do' contingent who have turned both Riga and (especially) Tallinn into awful places (not to mention Prague etc).

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 14-04-11 9:36; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Oooh. Apparently 'Wizz Air' will begin a Vilnius route (from Luton and Stansted), in two days' time. Just checked, £35 each way or so.

Ryanair have also added Stansted-Vilnius, starting in May. Stag do contingent ahoy, then. Sad
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mr Technique wrote:
Oooh. Apparently 'Wizz Air' will begin a Vilnius route (from Luton and Stansted), in two days' time. Just checked, £35 each way or so.

oooooh - now that's more like it Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
paulio, who are you???? Have you kidnapped Mr Technique & dragged him off to a stag do in Vilnius? Set him free!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have no idea what you're talking about.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Maybe I am missing something..........but, why is this place any better than Landgraaf?? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
speedy wrote:
Maybe I am missing something..........but, why is this place any better than Landgraaf?? Toofy Grin

Dunno yet, it's not open. I've been to Landgraaf so I hope to be able to make a direct comparison in the coming months.

On paper it's longer, and a bit more interesting (and cheaper!). Also the snow at Landgraaf is notoriously of the 'cold sugar' variety. I hope that isn't the case for Druskininkai, but we shall see.
latest report
I'm off to Landgraaf tomorrow for a couple of days (second visit). It's only 80m longer using their add both slopes together calculation and once you have factored in the cost of gettinng there I doubt will be any cheaper!

I agree with the concensus of the thread that it will knock the socks off of anything in the UK!!
snow conditions
speedy wrote:
once you have factored in the cost of gettinng there I doubt will be any cheaper!

That depends on where you start from Wink
latest report
paulio, Where are you located??
snow report
My precise geographical coordinates are a closely guarded secret.
snow conditions
Another world another planet
ski holidays
cathy, Laughing Laughing
latest report
snow conditions
Still. Slowly. Getting. There...

snow report
snow report
OPENING DATE ANNOUNCED

August 26th

http://snowarena.lt/en/apie_mus/naujienos?Events_page_nr=0&Events_item_id=105

Tickets and pricing:

http://www.snowarena.lt/en/bilietai
latest report
Prices look good:

Adults (Mon-Fri):
2hrs: £11.44
4hrs: £13.98
Day: £16.52

Adults (Sat-Sun+Hols):
2hrs: £13.98
4hrs: £16.52
Day: £19.07

But note: Helmets must be worn by for all guests.
ski holidays
paulio, aha! Annecy my foot - I'd recognise your bobble hat anywhere! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
altis wrote:
Helmets must be worn by for all guests.

It's by Health of Safety gone for the madness!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Right then - when are we going? I've got lots of weekends in September, October and November that want filling, and Luton is just down the road from us for the dirt cheap flight people. Fly out Friday morning, come back Sunday lunchtime I reckon. Allows a full day to recover from a big Friday night in Eastern Europe.

How far from airport to ski slope?
ski holidays
Monium wrote:
How far from airport to ski slope?

Sure this was covered earlier. The most likely airport is Kaunas rather than Vilnius, and in either case you're looking at a two and a half hour drive, ish.
ski holidays
Looks great - who'd have thought Tamworth would have been a trend setter with it's revolutionary sweeping curve?? I'll keep an eye on this thread to see if interest in a weekend trip begins to build - I quite fancy a trip to one of the Baltic states Smile
ski holidays
Opening day, 25th August.

http://youtube.com/v/RCpdGojie98
latest report
Look at all those people NOT WEARING HELMETS!!! What is the world coming to?
snow conditions
looks huge compared to Castleford!
snow report
rob@rar, Laughing Laughing

Looks great!
snow report
Wow, that looks good for an indoor slope! You can get a few good turns in before reaching the bottom.
latest report
Few more pics to whet the old appetites.

Of course, you can always 'Like' them on Facebook, for all the latest:

Snoras Snow Arena on Facebook

snow conditions
Hmm. Interested.

paulio, Any idea when, or indeed whether they plan to get the outdoor part of the slope open.

I quite fancy experiencing the indoor/outdoor ski thing. It gets pretty cold in Lithuania doesn't it? Maybe they can open the outdoor area sometime in November. If so I'd be on for a trip along the lines suggested by Monium.
snow conditions
Spud9 wrote:
Any idea when, or indeed whether they plan to get the outdoor part of the slope open.

I quite fancy experiencing the indoor/outdoor ski thing. It gets pretty cold in Lithuania doesn't it?

Can do yeah. Seasonally it's just 'Europe' though, and it's latitude is only around about level with the top of Scotland. Winter is December to March. November at a push, April at a push.
latest report
Bankas Snoras, the main investor in this project, and one of Lithuania's biggest banks (perhaps the #1 biggest? Not sure... it was certainly a whopper though) has collapsed. Leaving many LT families and businesses in a spot of bother... bank accounts and all funds within have just vanished etc. Allegedly.

Not sure what this means for the Snow Arena, but the Snoras branding has been completely removed from it. Maybe it means that the millions of Euro investment that the bank put in has now been written off.

I've still not been.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy