Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

1100m indoor/outdoor hybrid slope opening August 26th 2011 in Druskininkai, Lithuania

Poster: A snowHead
Look, it's nearly finished Smile

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs682.snc4/62269_437577961876_302783061876_5083771_4982678_n.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs329.ash2/60895_155239901162360_100000290543152_419858_2118140_n.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs323.ash2/60297_155240647828952_100000290543152_419859_1252057_n.jpg
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Should we have a snowHeads event there?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mr Technique, it doesn't look much like the video.... rolling eyes Laughing
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
No.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I found some mainstream press attention, but it's dubious.

http://www.fisalpine.com/news/new-indoor-snow-centre-with-outdoor-slopes-too-under-construction-lithuania,842.html

Quote:
The Snow Arena is being built in forest land 500 metres from the village of Druskininkai, in the spectacular Mizar spectacular mountain forest.

Not only a grammar typo, but also there aren't any mountains for about a thousand miles. "Mizarai" is just a little village, there's nothing around there that you could describe as a "spectacular mountain forest" so that's an odd choice of phrasing. I think someone must have done a mechanical translation of something and got the wrong end of the stick.

also

Quote:
...the only currently existing downhill slope [in Lithuania] at Anykščiai.

...which is materially false. LT has about 10 (albeit extremely modest) areas where downhill skiing goes on: see http://www.slalom.lv/
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm going to continue tediously blogging about this, even though nobody else gives a toss.

Construction is a funny thing isn't it. You push mud around for two years with apparently zero progress, and then all of a sudden things are nearly finished.

They're doing the interior already. Snow machines have been installed!

I also found an aerial photo of the site NehNeh

http://www.terraserver.com/view.asp?cx=693938&cy=5991198&proj=32634&mpp=1&pic=img&prov=dg49&stac=7386&ovrl=-1&drwl=-1
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ME AGAIN!

Pricing just announced:

Adults:
2 hours - 29 LTL
3 hours - 35 LTL
4 hours - 38 LTL
All day - 48 LTL

Exchange rate is currently about 25p.

See, this is what it ought to cost to ski on half a km of man made snow all day - twelve quid. I dunno how the extortionate places in Britain get away with their rates really. It must be because skiers on the whole are a load of blingy haw-hawing nouveau riche toffs with considerably more money than sense!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mr Technique, you should be appointed the snowHeads Ambassador to the Snow Arena. We expect a full trip report in due course.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Getting there...

ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mr Technique, loving the updates... it's starting to look better thank Tamworth already! Wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
They missed a trick not getting it ready for this Winter though. A Summer opening won't have the wow factor, with the outside track closed for business.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mr Technique, yes agreed, although the above shot with real snow on looks great! How many outdoor days is realistic in that part of Lithuania? (not an area I know too much about!)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Looks brilliant.
snow conditions
MoodyFFS wrote:
Mr Technique, yes agreed, although the above shot with real snow on looks great! How many outdoor days is realistic in that part of Lithuania? (not an area I know too much about!)

LT's a cold place for its altitude/latitude - only the same lat as top of Scotland, and completely flat, is about -20 at night at the moment - but its Winter season is like Europe really. Snow from November/December through til March/April.
snow conditions
I wonder if anyone's broken into the site and skinned up it in the middle of the night yet Toofy Grin
snow report
Nice images of the facility taken from the town of Druskininkai.

(As you can see, Winter has pretty much given way to Spring in LT, though there are still patches of snow around)

And some interesting decor in the works Smile

snow report
Mr Technique wrote:
"Mountain height - 66 m, the slope - up to 25 percent."

(Google translation of the website)

Here are some up to date plans and stuff.

Some of those mockups are hilariously bad.

Also there's no point having a cock-measuring competition about which is better due to having a bend or not. I don't suppose two snowdomes as far apart as Lithuania and Dubai are in any competition with each other.

The guy in the blue is always on his back bottom!
ski holidays

latest report
snowHead
snow conditions
They're planning to fire up the snow cannons this month. They need to run them for 6 weeks or so. 24,000 sqm at 50cm minimum depth. Thassa lotta snow.

Tentative opening in June. Cool

Trip Report to follow. snowHead
snow report
What date for the sH bash there then? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
cathy wrote:
What date for the sH bash there then? Toofy Grin

Are you organizing it then? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
cathy, Iski, sounds like a plan Very Happy
snow conditions
Iski, holidayloverxx, Laughing Laughing sounding good, fellow weekenders Toofy Grin
snow conditions
cathy, "Druskininkai is the largest resort in Lithuania famous for its mineral water springs having unique healing properties and peat therapeutic mud." - something extra to do

130 kilometres from Vilnius though.....
snow report
Sounds good! Looking forward to the reportMr Technique, .
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
holidayloverxx wrote:
cathy, "Druskininkai is the largest resort in Lithuania famous for its mineral water springs having unique healing properties and peat therapeutic mud." - something extra to do

130 kilometres from Vilnius though.....

It is, and about the same from Kaunas (where Ryanair fly to).

It's becoming rather well known locally as a 'wellness' centre. I've heard it referred to as the 'Dubai of Eastern Europe' -due to the amount of development that's going on with the local leisure industry, hotels being built etc Smile
ski holidays
holidayloverxx, ooooh - sounding nice for a summer break Very Happy Now if only we knew someone who was used to driving on Lithuanian roads ...... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
11 seater LHD minibus with my happy smiling face behind the wheel ahoy!
snow conditions
Mr Technique, I'm picturing it now! Toofy Grin

http://youtube.com/v/Gbajf_rHzys
ski holidays
cathy wrote:
Mr Technique, I'm picturing it now! Toofy Grin
Damn, coffee over keyboard moment! Laughing
ski holidays
When are we going then?
snow report
That Cliff video... the 2nd guy from the left... How old is Lee Mack again?
Smile
latest report
cathy, Laughing Laughing But hopefully you wouldn't get any skis dropped on your head this time!
snow report
Iski, indeed! Helmets should be worn at all times on buses Madeye-Smiley but preferably not with your goggles on them Evil or Very Mad Those lenses were new this year and they got scratched.

rob@rar - ah, you can picture it too Toofy Grin

holidayloverxx wrote:
When are we going then?

How about once it's up and running and then we set a date? I'd definitely be up for it, personally I may not be able to commit financially to it just yet Very Happy
latest report
PS - of course if anyone wants to set a date that's fine! I realised that sounded a bit dictatorial Toofy Grin
latest report
holidayloverxx, Iski, cathy, is this going to be a girlie trip then? Cool

(Apart from the driver, obviously Little Angel )
snow report
Just me and my charabanc harem.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy