Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

1100m indoor/outdoor hybrid slope opening August 26th 2011 in Druskininkai, Lithuania

Poster: A snowHead
Apologies for the Google translation

http://translate.google.com/translate?prev=hp&hl=en&js=y&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.delfi.lt%2Fnews%2Feconomy%2Fbusiness%2Farticle.php%3Fid%3D23096591&sl=lt&tl=en&history_state0=

Seems to be some kind of indoor/outdoor hybrid, which is a clever idea given that it's a fairly cold country (-20C when I was there a couple of years ago).

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 12-08-11 14:00; edited 5 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Video: http://www.vimeo.com/4351830
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
And stills: http://www.behance.net/Gallery/Druskininkai-SKI/173000
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Look! There are bends!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I see but two teeny flaws in their cunning plan:

i) Lithuania is bankrupt
ii) Who in their right minds would travel there to ski indoors?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
i) is a tricky one which I know about first-hand, but
ii) people who already live there, and the neighbouring countries, that's who. Oh, and me. But I'm special.

In any case, a country investing in its upcoming tourism industry seems like a reasonable plan, as plans go.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Looks even more amazing than the Dubai one...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It is poorly marketed.

They should go for atleast 1000m.

900m sounds rubbish.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes, 900m is for losers... Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Whitegold, I agree with that really. A thousand is one of those magic marketing numbers.

900 still sounds better than 'nearly 160' though, which is all we get here in the third world.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It beats the Chill factor in Manchester. That was very dissapointing after all the hype. Definitely no bends there. Sad
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ski-finder, the one in Dubai isn't even that impressive. I had a look and decided I would just get bored quickly, I would imagine it to be fine if you had drills to work on or something.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Some recent news on this - amazingly it still seems to be going ahead and opening in Jan 2011! I had it down as a goner I must say.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Fledgling+Lithuanian+ski+industry+anticipates+skiing+stunner.-a0225436167

Although it has mysteriously halved in length, and not much is being spoken of the novel "half indoor half outdoor" approach.

Nonetheless this is good news (for me, since I go to LT several times every year).
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
paulio wrote:
Nonetheless this is good news (for me, since I go to LT several times every year).

Come on, hands up. How many here are thinking human trafficker?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
tiffin, Laughing me Embarassed
latest report
Translated from their website: http://www.snowarena.lt/lt/home

SNORAS Snow Arena three runs for beginners and professionals.
Closed circuit: a width of 50 m length - more than 460 m;
Starter route: 70 m width, length - more than 150 m
Outdoor track: 40 m in width, length - more than 640 m
The total route length - more than 1 100 m.
snow report
tiffin, Nah the smart money is in organ harvesting these days...
Paulio, put me down for a liver, a spare lung and a load of skin please (I might be visiting a dry slope soon)
snow conditions
What surface does the outdoor track have?
latest report
tiffin wrote:
What surface does the outdoor track have?

Snow.

As I understand it the outdoor slope is only open in Winter, with natural cover.
ski holidays
The indoor section has lots of great opportunities to bodycheck people against the plexyglass/concrete walls!!!! Great Little Angel
snow report
And the outside seems to encourage pushing people off a 100ft high helter skelter made from sheet ice. WE SHALL SEE.

I'll definitely be going soon after it opens; I'll do a TR..
ski holidays
ski-finder wrote:
Looks even more amazing than the Dubai one...

It's at least twice the length - but what's the vertical descent ?? Don't see that stated anywhere ?? Dubai has a bend in the indoor - this appears to be a straight building for the indoor section but the video hints at bends - artistic licence perhaps. Puzzled
snow conditions
"Mountain height - 66 m, the slope - up to 25 percent."

(Google translation of the website)

Here are some up to date plans and stuff.

Some of those mockups are amusing.

Also there's no point having a competition about which is better due to having a bend or not. I don't suppose two snowdomes as far apart as Lithuania and Dubai are in any competition with each other.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 13-04-11 10:52; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
paulio wrote:
Some of those mockups are hilariously bad.

Indoor hang-gliding sponsored by Red Bull?
snow conditions
I like the long streak of - apparently - blood, down the middle of the run, and the stricken skier on his arse at the bottom.

I think their publicity and marketing campaign needs a little work, overall.
latest report
paulio wrote:
I think their publicity and marketing campaign needs a little work, overall.

If they're getting UK skiers to chat about it I think they're not doing too bad Happy
latest report
To be fair it's me that's getting UK skiers chatting about it, not them Smile
snow conditions
paulio, the least they should offer you is a free season pass!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

'll definitely be going soon after it opens; I'll do a TR

It's in the middle of absolutely nowhere. Probably means there's a flight near there from the world's favourite Irish airline Wink
snow conditions
It's less than a two hour drive from either of LT's major airports. That's hardly middle of nowhere. And yes, Ryanair fly to Kaunas. Not sure who flies to Vilnius these days, the routes keep changing. Air Baltic probably.
ski holidays
66m descent over approx 1000m means it's a lot less steep on average than Ski Dubai - which is 69m over 400m.

Agreed paulio, they are not in competition. I'm just trying to get a feel for how it compares with something real which a few snowHeads have already skiied or at least seen. The more out of season ski facilities the merrier - with or without the bends - and whatever it's gradient. wink
latest report
Dubaian, your geometry is faulty. There are two tracks that run effectively parallel to each other over that vertical. It's not a 1km run, it's 1km of runs combined.

It works out as more like 66m over 460m indoor, so it is slightly shallower on average than Dubai, but it isn't a constant pitch as far as I can make out from the plans I've seen - and the same vertical over about 640 for the outdoor track. I think.
snow report
paulio, yes I've now realised that - - - but my attempted edit got bounced - twice. You've cleared it up now. TVM.
Much the same as Ski Dubai then but with a fresh air version in the winter. Nice. And there are photos in your links of construction having started.
snow conditions
That looks like a great idea. Would it be feasible to have something similar in, say, the NE of England if the outside bit was also equipped with snow cannon? I imagine the average temps would be low enough to maintain the snow in reasonable nick for at least 3 or 4 months a year.
latest report
I reckon they might need to get a move on.

http://youtube.com/v/rclaBp1jQ6c
snow report
Some more construction photos:

http://picasaweb.google.lt/110346980911395359329/

And there's a managerial post up for grabs if anybody fancies it.

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=lt&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cv.lt%2Femployee%2Fviewbulletin.do%3Fid%3D221087474

Quick though, you've only got until September 10th!
ski holidays
Quote:

very good English and Russian language skills in writing and orally

Just trying to think of a snowHead that meets those criteria wink
latest report
Mods, can we have this merged with the other thread that is running on the subject, surely we do not need two on the very same subject Little Angel ... coat ...
ski holidays
The other one should be deleted and this one moved to snowNews.
latest report
Why isn't this in snowNews yet?!

There's a thread in there about one in Ireland, of all places.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy