Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Much of Austria blanketed in snow

Poster: A snowHead
Sustained snowstorms this week have left parts of Austria with exceptionally deep cover. The weather has also caused problems in the Bavarian Alps in southern Germany, where high avalanche alerts and road closures are in force. Deepest snow is in the Steiermark region between Graz and Salzburg (Schladming, Tauplitz, Dachstein etc.) where depths are typically 150cm in the valley, and 300cm at altitude...

Top of the list are Bad Mitterndorf and Bad Aussee, with 420cm and 450cm on the upper slopes, 170cm and 280cm on the lower slopes.

Austrian snowdepths for the various regions and resorts of the country can be obtained on Wetter.com. [Click 'Land' drop-down menu for options]
-------------------
Any reports from snowHeads in Austria welcome.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 3-02-05 14:42; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Despite all this snow, Mayrhofen still has fairly low snow depths which seems strange. I can't seem to find a consistent snow report. Thanks for the link DG.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Even 50cm/80cm is fine if it's lying on pastures. Obviously the deeper the snow the more off-piste terrain is available.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I know, but I'm worried all the half-term mob will scrape off all the snow and leave me with the ice in a few weeks! Having said that, todays report on Yahoo states 50cm on the lower slopes and 130cm at the top - that's more like it!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hayley t, you can look at the live webcams for Mayrhofen at http://www.mayrhofen.at There looks to have been a fair bit of snow there looking at the village cam.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Let me add some more info on snow condition in Austria.

Heavy snowfalls hit Austria in the past days, most of the well-known resorts received a large amount of snow, but some areas are desperately waiting for additional snowfalls.
In 3 days Salzburg and Steiermark regions got 100-120 cm fresh powder. Saalbach-Hinterglemm, Kaprun/Kitzsteinhorn and SkiWelt were quite lucky.
Also small, and somewhat crowded, resorts close to Vienna such as Semmering, Hochkar, Otscher have more than 200 cm snow on the top.

The bad news is that the Zillertal area has not received too much. Hintertux has received 30 cm extra, but there has not been significant snowfall since November.
Nassfeld/Hermagor had no new snow either.

You can find a comprehensive and reliable snowreport for Austria here:
http://www.bergfex.at/austria/schneewerte/

Make sure you check the DATUM column indicating the date of updating.
This site also shows links to the web pages of all the ski resorts in Austria where first-hand information on current snow condition can be found.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kerekip, SteveG, Cheers!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I hadn't noticed that DB, who's based in Vienna, had filed a thread on Snow Reports about the Austrian deluge when running this news. Here's his thread.

Austria has lost much market share from British skiers to France in recent years but it has a huge amount to offer, especially when the conditions are at their ultimate. You might even bump into DB.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
David, but only if you're on a very narrow snow bridge.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm keeping my fingers FIRMLY crossed. I head out for Europe at the end of next week, and will be in Schladming and Bad Gastein the following week. SNOW IS LIFE!!!!!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
johnfmh, if you were en route now you might be a bit slowed up. This report from Expatica gives a taste of how roads etc. are being affected.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
David:

I fly out the middle of next week. I'll be hitting Jasna in Slovaki first and then driving over to Austria. Slovakia, btw, is having a record breaking snow year--over 300 cm in the bowls behind Jasna (Chopok Juh).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
David@traxvax wrote:
David, but only if you're on a very narrow snow bridge.

lol

I ended up hanging onto the bridge (with a tighter grasp than a Yorkshire man holds his money) and didn't actually drop to below. Somebody went one stage further and topped my efforts by dropping off this season snowHead Nothing hurt other than pride. Shocking language and icy feet followed the drop.
Noticed that they had replaced the old wooden bridge with a new wider construction this year for some reason.

Update on the Austria Snow situation
========================
Travelled out Friday from Vienna to Hochkar. The Austrians had done a great job of clearing the roads and despite walls of snow up to 2 metres high either side of the road I didn't even need to get the snow chains out. Visibility wasn't great so I stayed in the trees for a fantastic tree skiing powder day.

The plan was to go from Hochkar to Aflenz on Friday night. Hochkar / Aflenz are only around 50-60 miles apart and in normal weather conditions the journey between the two takes less than 90 mins. Many valley roads were closed because of Avalanche risk and it took 3 hours friday night then an additional 2 hours Saturday morning before I reached Aflenz. Another great powder day but this time with sunshine and blue skies.

More snow is forecast later on in the week.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 7-02-05 9:23; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Johnfmh,

The road from Vienna to Schladming is open.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
NE Austria got dumped on again last night. Hochkar near to Vienna has 3.7m snow, Tauplitz near Salzburg has 4.7m.
snow report
I know this should probably be in snow reports - but this topic is good for general question about Austria.
Would like to spend a year away from France and try something new - but the money aspect means I will be looking for last minute getaways for a half-board/catered holiday. Is this the year to try Austria - normally put off by altitude and talk of dodgy snow cover. Getting to the point - is all of Austria benefitting from all this snow or just particular sections? Resorts being offered by the travel agents are: Zell, Kitzbuhel, Soll, Kaprun, Alpbach...
thanks
latest report
mountain mad,

The snow tends to be failing in the north of Austria, although it isn't quite as simple as that. To be honest once a resort has a good base of snow (ca 1.5 to 2m) it's more a factor of when was the last fresh dump of powder for me. If you are sticking to the piste than many resorts have fantastic pistes in Austria at the moment.

Look here to see which resorts have high levels of snow ....

http://www.tiscover.at/at/guide/5,en/objectId,RGN7at,selectedEntry,home.html,folder,SNOWREPORT,selElem,1,parentId,RGN7at/snowrpt.html

Look here for a map to see geographical locations

http://www.bergfex.com/austria/

For last minute weather forecast look at

http://www.snow-forecast.com/maps/alps_3days.php

Kaprun looks very good 1.8m at the alpine centre ca 3 metre at the top.
Zell is much lower and sometimes struggles for natural snow at lower levels but it also looks good (1.8 m).
Soll is also fairly low but with 1.9m of snow it's looking great.
Alpbachtal is further west so a little less at 1.4 m
Kitz has 1.62m

As you can see none of your choices are bad at the moment (bad would be 30-40cm of man made snow). If I had to rate them on snow at the moment.

1. Soll & Zell (the time to visit low austria resorts is when they have good snow, visit the higher resorts in low snowfall years)
2. Kitz
3. Kaprun (Kaprun often has a lot of snow because of it's altitude)
4. Alpbachtal

You could add places like Obertauern, Sportworld Amadé (Flauchau, wagrain etc) and Dachsteain/Ramsau, St Anton (higher level skiing) to your list. I would stay away from Obergurgl and Sölden at the moment (they normally do better for snow).

Hope this helps
snow conditions
DB - the info and links are perfect - thanks!
I'll be doing a beginner holiday - going over to the darkside so this year will be dominated by pistes and green/blue runs. Although i will take my boots for a quick dose of speed on 1 or 2 days.
So far there's even a fair bit of availability on the Bristol to Salzburg flights so I might not even have to go to Gatwick!
Definitely think its time for a change from France and Austria this year is looking very appealing. Will keep an eye on conditions through the links you've given as time off work isn't till 3 weeks time - but got to start looking for the deals!!!!
snow conditions
mountain mad, Our group (12) went to Austria (Solden) this year - the first time in Austria for most of us.
We all loved it, great accomodation, apres, boarding, snow conditions .... etc.
The only negative for us was that there were only 2 gondolas to get us up into the main lift system.
It was great to get away from France.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy