Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Supplements

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
carbs to replace glycogen in mucles immdeiately after skiing (better than waiting a few hours).

I found taking creatine suppl for a couple of weeks before also means I have less muscle aches after a few days.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have been researching and testing L Glutamine which is an amino acid. In its purest form it helps with recovery and muscle growth. It is completely natural and safe. I am using it at the moment in the gym but only small amounts. I will be testing it further when on my next boarding trip to see if its any good. Optimum intake is 5grams 3 times a day. I feel I can only really test it fully while my body is under the amount of stress during a snowboard holiday. I will report back if anyone is interested....
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowbunny wrote:
richmond wrote:
My understanding is that there is no clinical evidence for the effectiveness of glucosamine for joints, only anecdotal.

There was a report on TV yesterday of Zoo Tigers in the UK suffering from stiff joints. The Tigers are now receiving Glucosamine mixed into their meat. The keeper said 4/5 had shown improvement in their movements, and are showing more interest in chasing their meals.

I guess the big cats read the anecdotal stuff, and would have improved just as well with a placebo Madeye-Smiley
Yep, I reckon 4 out of a sample of 5 subjects who can't communicate with the drug administrator is pretty conclusive. Glad to hear the tigers are feeling more bouncy.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
comments like this

Quote:

lot of people are anti-supplements, which is to be expected, as a lot of people still misunderstand their benefits.

make me think replies like this...
Quote:

Will your mate choose something that is actually proven in double-blind trials to be of benefit? Probably not I guess Wink

Where IS this market? We all might feel bushed at the end of a day on the slopes - those of us punters who only manage a week or if lucky,2 a year. I don't go on the slopes and see myself skiing alongside hundreds of malnourished people struggling to get down, nor do I see hundreds of elite skiiers skiing around me either.

Until proper trials of products like these are done, in REPRESENTATIVE populations [an not the usual 21 yo, 75kg, 1.8m males that a lot of these drink.supplement studies are...] I reserve judgement .
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
richmond,
Quote:

Yep, I reckon 4 out of a sample of 5 subjects who can't communicate with the drug administrator is pretty conclusive. Glad to hear the tigers are feeling more bouncy.

Laughing Laughing Laughing More tea over the laptop. rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
A supplement would be more useful for those of us who work on the hill and who don't get a chance to have a meal (and in lots of cases) or a hot chocolate. However I find an isostar bar in my pocket does the trick, and certainly wouldn't buy a more expensive 'ski specific' supplement. A good breakfast full of complex carbohydrates is the best thing though - that and not drinking too much! Laughing Laughing

WRT Glucosamine, I take it and find it helps - I ran out near the time I was planning to go back to the UK, so thought ' I'll wait till I get back', but after 2 weeks the aches in myjoints was waaaayyyyyyyyyyy worse, so I went down to Grenoble (nearest place) to buy some - felt better within a few days. My dad is prescribed it by his doc - he thinks it helps a bit with his arthritis, although obviously not a cure. I'm all for anecdotal if I get this result.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I take glucosamine too and soon notice a difference if I run out of it. I don't care if it is a placebo, it is cheap enough.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Having worked and played sport in Asia I found that the levels of dehydration were so high that that it was helpful to have the various potions to give that quicker recovery than gallons of plain water. Skiing all day might be similar and with the best will in the world you can not always get your mitts on what you need to recharge your batteries. If I was in an apres ski bar and saw some products available, be they the ones discussed above or simply the powerade or energy bars, I would certainly buy them.

I get fed up carrying all this stuff around, especially when half of my mates want to fill my back pack with their energy bars, water and fruit etc.

I would say go for it and try to get the products placed at lift stations in coin/note operated machines, or at bars/restaurants etc
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I saw some of those special energy bars in Decathlon in Albertville, around 4 times the price of the cereal bars (always known as squirrel sh*t biscuits in our household) in the Géant supermarket next door. It's hard to believe (reading the food value analysis on the packs) that the price difference is worth it. I always go for the higher carbohydrate values in the supermarket ones, as we buy them for my diabetic husband to munch if he has a hypo.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy