Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI and Snowsport Scotland Announce Partnership

Poster: A snowHead
rob@rar, I can't see the BASI "modules" working, unless you are going to run them indoors, nobody will want to go somewhere for just a couple of days. If BASI could pack several things into a week then it might also bridge the gap between L2 and L3.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
GrahamN, Pete is exempt from it, did his ISTD tech this spring.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar, yes I think it might do, but not a lot. I wouldn't feel confident to go and start setting courses after a day's course.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
beanie1 wrote:
rob@rar, yes I think it might do, but not a lot. I wouldn't feel confident to go and start setting courses after a day's course.

Me neither. As you said earlier, it's something that you need to have a lot of experience of (setting gates and skiing them) before you get good at it. I have trouble setting up a quick slalom with ski poles or cones when teaching beginners Embarassed
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar, ha ha! Very Happy I can just about manage that now, doen enough of them! Don't like setting proper courses though, always do it with guidance.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
An extract from an email received yesterday from SSS.

Quote:

Snowsport Scotland Coaching Scheme

Courses for 2009/10

Snowsport Scotland has organised a number of courses for 2009/10. The focus over the summer months is on Ski/Snowboard Instructor qualifications, the majority being run in partnership with BASI - a new development for Snowsports in Scotland. These courses offer prospective instructors first year membership to both BASI and Snowsport Scotland, therefore allowing you to choose which pathway suits you best at a later date. For further information consult www.snowsportscotland.org, or www.basi.org.uk. Please see below for further information regarding instructor courses over the summer, or click on the link for other courses.

To book onto any of our courses contact the office on 0131 445 4151, or download the course application form and return to us. We still have availability on all the courses below. Places are allocated on a first come first served basis.

course dates and booking form

BASI Level 1/Snowsport Scotland Ski Instructor (Level 2 ASSI)

This course is designed to train and qualify responsible skiers who are primarily interested in instructing alpine skiing on artificial skiing surfaces. The primary role is to introduce novice skiers to the sport of skiing in safety, with enjoyment, and to do so in such a way as to prepare them for further learning.

The training takes place on a five day course (non-residential) that contains practical activity and is supplemented with a support programme of lectures, seminars and tutor led discussions.

1. 18, 19, 25, 26 July and 1 August (9am to 5pm), Glasgow Ski Centre, Bellahouston, Cost 380.00 (GBP)
2. 22, 23, 29, 30 August and 5 September (9am to 5pm), Snowsport Scotland Office, next to Midlothian Snowsport Centre, Hillend. Cost 380.00 (GBP)
3. 12, 13, 19, 20, 26 September (9am to 5pm), West of Scotland Snowsports Centre, Bearsden. Cost 380.00 (GBP)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Interesting debate!
stoatsbrother wrote:
rob@rar,
Quote:
How can a small, non-Alpine country have such a plethora of awarding bodies and multitude of instructor qualifications? Bizarre

Indeed - and this is what we seem to end up asking every year or two, everytime a merger of organisations or qualifications is mooted and fails.

I have a sprog who in a few years time will be wanting to think about gap year stuff and we have discussed developing his skill/interest in skiing through instructing. We can argue all day about whether that is sensible, but given the continued flux in what is going on - which is such that outsiders like me have no idea what is happening - you can see why CSIA would be the preferred option - even if trained in Andorra as now seems available.

I guess it's down to whatever you want out of a qualification but I'm seeing a lot of people now swapping over to BASI, in fact I was skiing with someone last week who did CSIA L1 & L2 a few years ago and is now about to move over by doing a BASI L2 course. As has been pointed out there are no member benefits for CSIAs over here and they don't offer the option of ISIA any more either. Their system has many pluses but for working in Europe BASI or another European qualification is the sensible option IMHO.
stoatsbrother wrote:
beanie1, I don't think he would ever be doing "real" teaching - just learning more about the craft of skiing and himself

Which might make CSIA more of a sensible option but the person I mention above did the same before uni and now is wanting to do it more seriously so is changing systems.
Quote:
but the point is really that rob@rar which makes (like the new title btw Wink ) - that all this faffing around leaves the rest of us confused and thinking that the awarding bodies in the UK are a bunch of bald blokes fighting over a comb...

I can understand why people might think that but I don't think it applies to BASI and SSS.

To be honest, and totally IMHO, the only bald bloke is SSE, based in that hub of the skiing world the Midlands in merry mountainous old England. Completely different scenario in Scotland, whatever people may think of the quality of what's on offer there are developed ski areas as well as an indoor and outdoor artificial slope scene. SSS being based at Hillend (one of the most impressive dry slopes I have seen, or skied) are at the heart of that scene and BASI, being based in Strathspey, are at the heart of the historical hub of Scottish mountain sports, as well as about the only place in the UK where skiing is part of the local culture (I say that as a former local).

The irony of the situation is that it's the 'bald bloke' (SSE) that seemingly can't work with anyone else whereas the 'blokes' that at least have some hair growth (fragile though it may be Wink ) can get together, discuss things sensibly and come to working agreements - make of that what you will!
rob@rar wrote:
That's very unfortunate, as what I see of BASI's work is not like that at all. The organisation is going through a huge amount of change, seems to becoming much more professional and has a coherent set of pathways for instructors and for coaches. However, the home nation organisations seem to be happy to squabble over the scraps, leading to the impression that the whole of UK ski instruction is run by a bunch of amateurs.

IMHO that's the problem and IMHO it's the fault of the one 'bald bloke' not the rest!
GrahamN wrote:
CSIA sounds a good system (although ISIA accreditation no longer there if that's relevant), but I know a couple of CSIA-qualified coaches at the neighbouring club and they feel quite abandoned now. Essentially no membership benefits/support if you're not in Canada.

That's to be expected though is it not? After all the 'C' stands for Canada so you'd expect their focus to be Canadian, particularly given they have enough resorts to keep their people busy without the need for exporting them elsewhere unlike us!

Couple of other comments, re. the SSE and SSS ASSIs my understanding (and observation of an admittedly limited number of people qualified under each system) has led me to believe that the SSE ASSI level is higher.
Spyderman wrote:
Courses for 2009/10

Snowsport Scotland has organised a number of courses for 2009/10. The focus over the summer months is on Ski/Snowboard Instructor qualifications, the majority being run in partnership with BASI - a new development for Snowsports in Scotland. These courses offer prospective instructors first year membership to both BASI and Snowsport Scotland, therefore allowing you to choose which pathway suits you best at a later date.

I like the sound of that and the fact they are opening it up for people to follow whichever pathway they choose (BASI or SSS/UK Snowsports) - to me this at least makes it sound like they're considering the best interests of their members and allowing them more options.

P.S. anyone noticed we never mention Snowsports Wales in these discussions ... and they at least have more mountains than England ... Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
roga, very good points.

For me as an outsider it is a matter of presentation - in such a niche area - (how many practising UK based ski instructors are there?) there should be one credible robust UK organisation. Otherwise it becomes a matter of "which heavyweight champion did you say you were?"

But I do see that for any one with genuine European teaching aspirations - BASI would be the way to go...

Do you think the people from SSE ever look at BZK threads?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Good question, we occassionally hear from a few BASI trainers but not sure any of the senior "people" SSE people do.. but there are a few SSE members who contribute a lot.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
stoatsbrother, The point of the Modernisation proposals that started all this off was to end up with one "brand" that everyone could use. While the Home Nations were arguing about the details BASI filled out the gaps in their programme and we ended up with the situation we have now.

Email Tim Fawke if you have something to say to SSE.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rjs, bit hostile?

I think many of us remember the threads about modernisation a few years ago.

I suspect that most ordinary UK skiers would have difficulty seeing the point in different programmes done by different bits of the UK. Having "home nations" applied to a non-alpine country seems stupid - and would only risk small bodies protecting their own organisational interests. But obviously - as a potential customer - I am wrong. rolling eyes
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stoatsbrother, Wasn't intending to be hostile to anyone, what you were asking for was the intent of modernisation, I just wanted to make the point that when Fiona was doing the consultation meetings she focused more on the "branding" advantages than on the details of the instructing and coaching courses.

The plan would have done away with identifiable home nations and would have had one national training system.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rjs, as an outsider at the time I could never work out who was most responsible for the modernization process failing. If you can ignore the history and politics it's hard to see how you would end up with the current system if you stated with a blank sheet of paper.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, You wouldn't end up with the current system if starting from scratch. I don't think you can ignore the history though if you want to find a way forward, it at least tells you what can go wrong.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rjs wrote:
rob@rar, You wouldn't end up with the current system if starting from scratch. I don't think you can ignore the history though if you want to find a way forward, it at least tells you what can go wrong.

As a customer of one of the systems I'd be happy to see a blank piece of paper solution. The fact that history and politics means we have to put up with the current system seems to be more to do with serving the needs of the the administration of the multiplicity of organisation than a clear focus on the needs of the direct or indirect customers of those organisations.
latest report
roga, agree with a lot of that - making allowances for your usual chauvinistic chippiness Wink

stoatsbrother, bit hostile?

The two organisations have very different remits - the clue's in the names - with a bit of overlap at the point you see them on here. SSE is concerned with snowSPORTS in England, and for that read competitive snow sports (whether that is alpine racing, freestyle, cross-country whatever) - and its primary role is as the governing body of those sports. As such it has a huge presence in the various clubs throughout the country, and runs the extensive racing program here in the summer and national races in the alps in the winter (to mention only the brances I know anything about). It also now, in conjunction with SSS and SSW, runs the British competition ski teams. It is not primarily concerned with recreational/hobby skiing. BASI is concerned with ski instruction - so has more relevance to recreational skiers, and their development. The overlap occurs due to that presence in UK based clubs - so a lot of artificial/indoor instructors/coaches will find SSE more relevant. If I lived in Wales, I could probably say exactly the same about SSW - from my limited interaction with them (at the race level) the two organisations work hand-in-hand, Welsh and English races having very similar catchment areas. The failure of that Modernisation process has just increased that overlap, but probably reduced the level of "confusion" for recreational skier, as BASI has now increased its presence in UK based instruction - quite reasonably as this constitutes the first rungs on the instruction ladder, and gives them a catchment from those making those first tentative steps on those rungs.

From my own perspective, I interact with SSE much more as a dryslope "performer". As an early stage race coach, I've started on the BASI route, as they are clearly better organised/motivated/resourced in that area. The focus, however, is very much on applications on snow, whereas my interest in more home/all-year and hence dry-slope focussed. So it may well be that SSE would actually be a better choice there, as this is where their activity predominantly lies. The reason I started on the BASI route though was, ironically, that the Instructors organisation didn't require an instructor qualification before starting coaching training (just targeting those with experience of the race scene), whereas the race-oriented organisation did (only accepting familiarity with the race scene once you're a pretty high level performer).

You as a recreational mountain skier really should only need to be concerned with BASI. I think SSE really only has relevance to potential instructors if they are never intending to teach in the mountains, and if they have an interest in developing competitive performers. With the L1 and UKSI they provide everything for recreation instruction that SSE do. I find no "confusion" at all between the two organisations, as they have such radically different focus. To jump ship and head off to an organisation that has little/no presence close to home because of organisational infighting is rather cutting your nose off to spite your face - you're letting your cynicism overrule rationality (OK you ski a lot in North America, but is your son intending to emigrate to Canada?). The only difficulty for me is trying to forecast how my own interests will develop.
snow conditions
GrahamN, do you think the duplication of administration, with regard to both teaching and coaching strands, is a concern from a financial viewpooint, given the parlous state of funding for UK skiing.
ski holidays
rob@rar, Snowsport GB are the ones in debt, I think the other groups match their expenditure to income.
snow report
rjs wrote:
rob@rar, Snowsport GB are the ones in debt, I think the other groups match their expenditure to income.

So there's enough money in the system to support grass roots racing? I'm not involved with racing so couldn't say for sure, but I'd be surprised if everyone was happy with the level of support available.
snow conditions
rob@rar, I guess it's not ideal, but I have no idea how much of that administration cost would be removed if there were a single organisation. I suspect the main benefit would ba that there would be a unified constituency for training courses - so maybe get higher demand for specific training courses. BASI seems to have a reasonable level of demand at present (remains to be see whether this is more than just attraction of novelty but it's looking good at present), but from past comments from rjs SSE does seem to have problems.

There does seem to be a problem with funding racing on snow at development teram level. But that's not an area that there's any overlap at present - I don't see BASI has any involvement there at all. The costs involved for the individaul racers are substantial - I doubt that saving a couple of administrators' salaries is going to make much difference. Whether or not there is too much fat in the organisation is a different question, and not one on which I can really contribute (although I have met a couple of men recently who could). The hand over of the alpine teams from SSGB to the HNGBs is probably addressing that. SSGB/HNGBs is where the real duplication of effort seems to be, rather than BASI/HNGBs.

The problem with the clean sheet solution is that it would chuck the baby out with the bathwater. BASI really seem to have their act together and from what little I see are doing a good job and seem to have a good reputation with other instructors' organisations, and they seem to have a good and highly motivated set of trainers at present. Chuck it all out and you have to rebuild from scratch. While that may result in a better long-term solution, and flush out the bad stuff, I can see that taking 10 years to fully reinstate the good stuff that is there now. I would have thought that for you as skimottaret the choice is clear - the one you've made. The only issue I see remaining is for those of you (amybe some point in the future "us") in a part-time or semi-professional position is the IVSI "club coach" issue. If BASI were to increase their IVSI "presence" to full-membership then that would solve that. I guess that would be another nail in SSE's coffin though, so they may not be amenable to anything like shared representation.

PS: three of the adults in our club probably think that racing at grass-roots level is far too successful, each having been hammered in head-to-heads over the last couple of years by a 7yo little bullet (normally in shocking pink) from Bromley!

PPS: when it comes to renewal time though, I do wonder what I get for my £45 (or whatever it is) to SSE, other than the opportunity to spend even more on race entry fees!

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 12-07-09 22:57; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
GrahamN, of course you must be right - 4 organisations must be better than one... rolling eyes
snow report
stoatsbrother, since we're now talking about 5 organisations, which is the one you are happy with? rolling eyes
ski holidays
Double post

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 12-07-09 23:20; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
GrahamN, whichever one grows up enough to stop squabbling over the comb. We are a small country, not very successful in snowsports, with limited snow and funding. Two organizations working closely would be plenty.

But those of us on the outside obviously have no valid view.
snow report
And remember, this thread is about two organisations co-operating in the area in which there is overlap (low level coaching/instruction) within their specific territory, then leaving each to run the areas in which they have specific competence (SSS=competitive sports, BASI=higher level instruction). Sounds a good arrangement to me.

Also, the biggest threat to grass-roots competition I see is the conversion of dryslopes to those abortions that are Snowflex and Permasnow - so we have fewer places to race. I guess I may have a different view though if I were a freestyler. Also snowdomes are great, but they do pretty much double the cost of regular training.

And the biggest fillip to grass-roots competition is motivational leadership and efficient organisation, with active involvement of the clubs and kids' parents, leading to smoothly run competitions with keen friendly rivalry which all ends end up being huge fun for the competitors - as evidenced in every Southern Region race for the last two years (after emerging from a few years of internal politics that nearly killed it).

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sun 12-07-09 23:26; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
GrahamN wrote:
And remember, this thread is about two organisations co-operating in the area in which there is overlap (low level coaching/instruction) within their specific territory, then leaving each to run the areas in which they have specific competence (SSS=competitive sports, BASI=higher level instruction). Sounds a good arrangement to me.

Is there much cooperation? Doesn't seem to amount to much on the instruction pathway, and with BASI's coaching pathway going through much change and a fair amount of investment how long will it be before high level coaching has the ame level of duplication as low level coaching and instruction qualifications?
ski holidays
rob@rar, fair questions. But I see this as a good first step. If it succeeds then I guess they'll start looking at the next one. Softly softly catchee monkee. I didn't really have any insight into the Modernisation process, but looking at it as an outsider/neutral at the time, it looks like it was trying to do too much too soon, and so offended everyone somewhere along the road. The usual problem with revolutionary rather than evolutionary change.
latest report
There will always be (quasi) nationalistic squabbling as long budgets and jobs (and impressive titles) are in the offing.

I agree that is simply daft to have a different body looking after snow sports in England and Scotland, not sure if there are also corresponding bodies in NI and Wales?

Each year I go to the World Travel Market which is easily the largest trade-only travel show in the world. Almost every country on earth from the little ones like Bhutan and Nepal to the big ones like USA and China are there. Each country has a stand, some of which, mainly the Arab ones, are “very” impressive. So you will have an Italian stand, a Spanish stand, Mexico, Peru, Egypt, Tanzania, etc, etc. Oh I say each country has a stand – except one – “we” don’t. We have 4, all next to each other but “very” obviously different, visit England, Visit Scotland, Visit Wales and Visit Northern Ireland. Each UK stand has a duplication of personnel – so lots of jobs at the public expense.

How pathetic is that and makes it so obvious to every other country just what goes on in the good old UK. I think the same can be said for the various “governing” bodies of snow sports.

At least BASI is a truly (inclusive) British association which in my view is a good thing.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
GrahamN wrote:

[Snowsport England] is not primarily concerned with recreational/hobby skiing. BASI is concerned with ski instruction - so has more relevance to recreational skiers, and their development.

Good post. I quoted the above as my understanding is that part of SSE's role is supposed to include representing 'recreational' skiers and racers, while it's coaching scheme also serves both groups of skiers, as evidenced by the separate 'Development' and 'Race' coach qualifications.

It's a shame that SSE don't have someone 'official' on here to properly explain their role and promote their 'product'. I'm fairly sure 'they' do read the posts.
snow report
Quote:

At least BASI is a truly (inclusive) British association which in my view is a good thing.

You mean Bascially All Scottish Instructors?! (joke Smile )
ski holidays
beanie1, how about a BASI ISIA "I Ski In Aviemore"
latest report
skimottaret, beanie1,
Madeye-Smiley

Yeah I know, there is "still" a little hang over from the old British Association of Professional Ski Instructors. Like why is the office "up there" when most member are from "down here". But, all in all, I still think it's a good group with a very professional outlook. Just my opinion. Any group of people are going to have detractors and things can always be diss'ed. but (just IMO) seems OK to me
ski holidays
Wayne,
Quote:

Like why is the office "up there" when most member are from "down here".

When i asked that question I was told that it helps with credibility in international discussions for BASI to be based close to "real" mountains and ski resorts.
latest report
stoatsbrother wrote:
roga, very good points.

For me as an outsider it is a matter of presentation - in such a niche area - (how many practising UK based ski instructors are there?)

Well, there are a lot at dry slopes and domes, mostly part-time and most in my experience happy to keep it that way. essentially they are non-professionals and as I understand it that's why SSS and SSE developed their qualifications, in order to cater for non-professional ski instructors and coaches/racers as opposed to BASI who historically have catered for professional instructors. There are also instructors working seasonally on the mountains in Scotland believe it or not.
Quote:
there should be one credible robust UK organisation. Otherwise it becomes a matter of "which heavyweight champion did you say you were?"

Personally I think it makes sense for BASI to accredit instructors and the HNGBs to deal with the grass roots coaching and racing.
Quote:
But I do see that for any one with genuine European teaching aspirations - BASI would be the way to go...

Agreed.
Quote:

Who knows, I'd be interested to read their thoughts to be honest and it might help them to understand how 'ordinary' snowsports enthusiasts feel about their role.
rjs wrote:
stoatsbrother, The point of the Modernisation proposals that started all this off was to end up with one "brand" that everyone could use. While the Home Nations were arguing about the details BASI filled out the gaps in their programme and we ended up with the situation we have now.

Dunno about arguing the detail, I was told by 'an' Alan from SSE that it just wasn't going to happen prior to any detail being argued about - that being true I'd suggest SSE never had any intention of going along with modernisation, even if they were discussing it.

GrahamN wrote:
roga, agree with a lot of that - making allowances for your usual chauvinistic chippiness Wink

LOL, who me? Toofy Grin NehNeh Wink
beanie1 wrote:
Wayne,
Quote:

Like why is the office "up there" when most member are from "down here".

When i asked that question I was told that it helps with credibility in international discussions for BASI to be based close to "real" mountains and ski resorts.

Yeah, I've heard people asking that question too but I absolutely support their choice of location for many reasons (some historical) including the reason you give above.

Whilst many people in the UK downgrade or ignore the importance of Scottish mountain snowsports (and they do it to many homegrown things IMHO), the impact that it has to some abroad may surprise. I find I'm treated totally differently when in Europe skiing if, when asked if I'm English, I say no Scottish and that's where I grew up skiing, on snow, on the mountains. Call it surprise, call it a greater degree of respect, call it being too flabbergasted at the idea of Scottish skiing to say very much more Wink but it does change the attitude of the more condescending I find. I'd guess that may work for BASI too as an organisation and it strikes me as more appropriate to base any snowsports organisation near mountains than hundreds of miles away.

Also, if based in Scotland BASI can't be accused of being totally bald Wink
ski holidays
roga wrote:
Also, if based in Scotland BASI can't be accused of being totally bald Wink

So it's not the water up there that's making Dave Renouf’s hair disappear
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy