Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Name & shame the most heinous rip offs in ski resorts

Poster: A snowHead
As a jolly good summertime thread lets have a concentrated whinging thread about the most ridiculous rip offs we've encountered. I'm sure we've all come across the 5 Euro can of coke but there must be other great examples.

Please note this thread is for whinging only, let's assume we're all familiar with the mountain economics arguments that mean that transporting a can of squirty cream up a gondola automatically means 3 Euro surcharge on every hot chocolate sold.

I nominate the 15 Euro not very good or filling croute at some place in Serre Chevalier that I can't remember the name of.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
fatbob, €19 for a pint of Eurofizz at the "old" restaurant at the top of the "old" Brevent lift.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We saw a Brit guy get caught for 90 Euros (£90 at the time) for 6 coffees, 4 bottles of Powerade and 4 Mars Bars at Saulire top cable-car restaurant, Courchevel. Shocked
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'll stick with my friends experience, who accecpted the waiters suggestion fot the "special soup" in La Taverne, Meribel, unaware, until the bill arrived, of the cost, a snip at €40. Plus €8 for the beer.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
not sure i can compete with those numbers, however I paid 25 euros for lunch which consisted of cheesburger, chips and coleslaw in a hut at Flaine this March!!!
It was very nice though.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Andora - Lift Pass = €210 (6 days)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
All of France - full price adult lift pass for children of 13 or over!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Colin B,France Paradiski family pass = 2 adults 2 children under the age of 17
Children under six ski for free
what a rip off
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Boredsurfing, Not a lot of good to me, 1 adult + 13 year old daughter Crying or Very sad

Compared to most of Switzerland, 1 adult + child at half price.

I'll have to either ski in Switzerland or gwet married again, perhaps not. Perhaps it's just a rip off for single parents with teenagers then.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Colin B, Full price at 14v years old on Easyjet now as well!
Our annual passes are full price terms ie over 14 = adult. Altough we get a discount by buying through the residents assoc.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 6-07-09 19:58; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
€3 for a thimble sized shot of Obstler at the Village pub, Westendorf.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Boredsurfing, To be honest I'm used to it. I've been taking my daughter away on summer and winter holidays alone since she was 5. On the few occasions I've used a TO I have never got better than a very modest reduction on full adult prices for her. Even more reason to DIY.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Take away ie eat on bench outside, jacket potato near Les Arcs 1800 last season €10.00
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
northantsred wrote:
not sure i can compete with those numbers, however I paid 25 euros for lunch which consisted of cheesburger, chips and coleslaw in a hut at Flaine this March!!!
It was very nice though.

Shocked in Flaine, fcuk. Thats Courcheval 1800 prices.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Don't have any stories this year so quite pleased with that..

I guess 7chf for a chocolate isn't great for what is was...but my biggest grip was probably a 3 day pass cost almost as much at Paradiski( 140 eu ) as a 6 pass in Annivers (£166)...IIRC
But overall pretty pleased with both trips anyway...when all spending said and done....
snow report
Les arcs: Nearly a grand for four 6 day lift passes
ski holidays
1000 CHF for a whoopee!. Steep. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Colin B,
Easyjet is full whack for any child over two years. We went to Geneva last year with my daughter who was just over two so we paid £250 for a seat for her (it was at easter).

However she was three months premature so was too small to sit on her own so went on my wifes knee as an under two would do.

Not happy but thems the rules.
latest report
I didn't buy it but there was a chicken (shrink wrapped, ready to cook) in the supermarket in the Forum in Courchevel 1800 for 25 euros.
snow conditions
parlor wrote:
1000 CHF for a whoopee!. Steep. Twisted Evil

Who paid you that much?
ski holidays
€0.50 to take a slash at the Folie Douce after spending €20 on a crap quick lunch. I should have just pissed under the table Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, Normal for oop North Shocked
ski holidays
I thought that prices in Tignes were pretty steep, but they weren't in the same league as some of these. €19 for a beer? Gaspo.

Colin B, I sympathise with the cost of kids' lift passes, but since it costs pretty much the same to get a kid up the mountain as it does an adult, the only reason for offering lower kids' prices is a commercial one, to attract families, and one parent + kid is not as attractive as 2 parents + kid (or even 2 kids).
ski holidays
richmond wrote:
I thought that prices in Tignes were pretty steep, but they weren't in the same league as some of these. €19 for a beer? Gaspo.

Colin B, I sympathise with the cost of kids' lift passes, but since it costs pretty much the same to get a kid up the mountain as it does an adult, the only reason for offering lower kids' prices is a commercial one, to attract families, and one parent + kid is not as attractive as 2 parents + kid (or even 2 kids).

and TBH most french resorts reckon that kids of 13/14 are probably better skiers than parents and therefore might make more use of the capacity..

My les arcs ripoff was a kebab in 1800 and a coke for the vast sum of 5 euro's - warm and tasty too..
snow conditions
My biggest rip off was in 3 Valleys Shocked . After not being lured into paying over the odds for burger and chips in Courcheval1800. I bought a bag of picnmix jelly sweets in Les Menuires for €17.
It wasnt a massive ammout of sweets either.
It was at the stall right outside the ticket office.
I'd almost erased that from my mind till now Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
RPF, Are you Japp Stamm in disguise?
ski holidays
bertie bassett,
Quote:

and TBH most french resorts reckon that kids of 13/14 are probably better skiers than parents and therefore might make more use of the capacity..

Good point certainly applies here Embarassed
ski holidays
richmond, But surely it costs no more in Switzerland or Italy (where there are far more attractive child's pass prices) than in France (where there aren't).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ordhan, Puzzled

Edit: Yesh undershtand now I'm a bit shlow today need shugar Very Happy.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 7-07-09 13:51; edited 1 time in total
latest report
richmond, note well that plenty of perfectly reasonably priced beer in available throughout Chamonix. Just that one restaurant, maybe a "New Year Special" had such a crazy inflated price.
snow report
Have more concerns about the rip off at the airport concessions before I arrive in resort.....a quid for a pack of chewing gum, couple of quid for a bottle of water, £££'s for something to eat (of very dubious quality)....

Once I am in resort, don't really take much notice. It would ruin my holiday to worry about every penny I have to spend, or if I were not sure if I could afford to eat or drink.
snow report
Colin B wrote:
richmond, But surely it costs no more in Switzerland or Italy (where there are far more attractive child's pass prices) than in France (where there aren't).
I suppose they take a different view of the commercial benefit of the one model over the other. I doubt that any of them are doing it as a social service. Austria doesn't seem to do family passes at all, not for holiday length passes, anyway, but in Obertauern, kids prices (for our 14yo kids) were 50% less than the adult price. St Anton next year appears to be almost as generous.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 7-07-09 15:56; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Mosha Marc, I'm very good.

10,000 CHF for a cocktail in Verbier has to be one of the most expensive drinks, no?
ski holidays
I can't think of anythinthing in Verbier to compare to the French rip offs mentioned here.
The worst example of Verbier rip off would seem to be unworthy of mentioning in the same breath.

I thought €7 for a pint in a bar in Meribel was a rip off....what an amateur I am
ski holidays
Cokes at about £6 each from the Altiport restaurant in Courchevel over 15 years ago. Never, ever been back to that restaurant. Even that pales next to more than £9 for a glass of white wine in downtown Stockholm.
snow report
7 Euros for a can of coke at Geneva airport! (Euro:Pound was about 1:1 at the time!)
snow report
E6.50 for a pint in O'Connells "Irish Bar", Val Thorens
ski holidays
Wow, some of those stories make me shudder, especially the ones where the buyer didn't know what they were going to pay. In resort, I expect the worst so I always check what I am going to get and what I'm going to pay for it thus don't consider anything a rip-off, even paying 11 Euros for 2 x KitKats & Cokes in Serre Chevalier at Xmas was reasonable enough for my two lads before their park lessons. Les Arcs at Easter was pretty reasonable too using happy hour beer prices (I never drink alcohol at lunchtime) and village level terrace cafes rather than liftside ones. However, outside of ski resorts, I once paid £12 before a Burning Spear gig (edit, thinking about it now, it may have been the Pogues but it was all a bit blurry back then) at Brixton Academy for a small lump of licorice wrapped in cling film but that was over 20 years ago before the idea of spending my spare cash on skiing rather than exotic sensory lubricants had ever even crossed my mind. Little Angel
latest report
Does anybody pay the exorbitant transfer costs from Geneva to the French resorts these days? Or from valley rail stations to resorts?

Tignes (by coach) was coming in at about £90 or 100 return per person last winter. Bourg St Maurice to Tignes, or Moutiers to Val Thorens was about £40 return by coach. Then there's the taxi firms of Brides les Bains, who just about double their fares from Moutiers on a Saturday.

With (usually) 2 of us travelling it's always just easier to hire a car. For a week maybe it's maybe not cheaper by the time fuel & tolls are added?? Still, like I say, it's easier.

Then there's resort car parking charges. £70 a week at Tignes is a joke - so we use the free car park at Les Brevieres wink
snow report
Quote:

£70 a week at Tignes is a joke

Pretty similar to Brighton. wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy