Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flying Scotland to Innsbruck

Poster: A snowHead
I am thinking of Obergurgl for family trip in April. There seems to be good accommodation, with transfer options from Innsbruck.

I know there has been a flight from Edinburgh to Innsbruck, but can't find it anywhere online. Can anyone help please? Maybe I am just too early?

Any other tips re transfer and accommodation would be welcome too.

Many thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Edinburgh airport website says it must be Thomson air or Austrian airlines
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
andy, thanks for that. Had already tried TUI flight site, but hit a blank. And several "cheap flight" sites and expedia.

The Thomson site doesn't even show Edinburgh as a departure point at the moment. I know Thomson etc do a ski flight for those booking complete package, but not sure how and when you can make a flight only booking. Maybe only when there are seats left closer to the time?

Austrian Airlines hits a blank when I try to find flight too, although they have offered several options for indirect flights (via Frankfurt) for 3rd April, 2010.

Many thanks.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Flightmapping suggests Thomson are your guys, so maybe worth a call regarding if the route still operates.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have had friends fly Edinburgh-Innsbruck with Thomson but that was summer, a couple of years ago. As has been said, you'll have to ask.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks andytb, espri.

Just found answer to my own post. Inghams do a "limited number" if flight only seats at about £300 each. I can book them online.

Any suggestions for cheaper ways would still be appreciated though!

L
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
easyJet Edinburgh - Munich would be cheaper, I imagine. But then you would have all the guddle and cost of getting from Munich (airport) to Innsbruck / Obergurgl; I fear that would wipe out any immediate cost benefits.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
espri wrote:
guddle
An early contender for word of the week.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've looked into this in the recent past. It's pretty poor that there is no direct service from Scotland* to Austria. It put paid to any plans that we may have been thinking about for going to Austria.

Take a look at germanwings.com. When i was looking, you could fly to germany and then to innsbruck. If i recall correctly, it took a while but was cheaper than flying to Munich then trying to get to the resorts from there.

*This applies to all of my airmiles that i've saved as well. If i want to fly from Edinburgh or Glasgow to somewhere within what Airmiles call zone 2, it uses twice as many airmiles as those flying from London, because we have to fly via London with BA to get out of the UK!!! Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
espri, train from Munich is however handy for skiing in the Salzburg region which is worth considering if Lorenzo has not yet made a decision Smile
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
espri wrote:
easyJet Edinburgh - Munich would be cheaper, I imagine. But then you would have all the guddle and cost of getting from Munich (airport) to Innsbruck / Obergurgl; I fear that would wipe out any immediate cost benefits.

Lorenzo last Easter I took the train/bus from Sölden (a stone's throw from Obergurgl) to Innsbruck airport. It was incredibly easy, cheap and ran like clockwork. On the train to Innsbruck there was a ski touring couple who were heading off to Munich to fly back (to Edinburgh I assume)

It's certainly worth a look if you can't get a flight sorted
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There wouldn't be much difference practically between the Salzburg area and Innsbruck, travelling by train from Munich airport. In both cases you would have to change at Munich (or Munich East), I think.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Edinburgh Munich then train isnt too bad. I have done it to Hintertux and to Kitzbuhel. It's very efficient with connections working like clockwork. Just be careful with your skis and remember my experience. Very Happy

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=51297&highlight=
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've done the Edinburgh to Salzburg train a few years ago, wasnt for a skiing trip but from my memory is not a long jounrey perhaps a couple of hours?

Main thing to remember is ticket inspectors in disguise!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lorenzo, Have done the Edinburgh Innsbruck flight for the past few years with Inghams. I have checked the website recently for the boys trip to St Anton and it's only showing package deals, ie no flight only yet. Not cheap - will set you back around £275 per head. Might be worth phoning Inghams or First Choice I think can offer it too. Scotland to Innsbruck really sucks as the Edinburgh flight is the only one that I'm aware of. The Newcastle option has better flight times (or has the past few years), ie out at 6.30 am and leaves evening - the Edi flight leaves around 2/3pm and back around 11.
You could do as others have suggested and try the Edi to Munich or you could even try Lufthansa from Manchester????
ski holidays
Thanks boabski, I knew you would be along soon (I remembered you used this flight last year, same day as we left from Glasgow).

Inghams had flight only available last week for this - about £300 each - but now they don't show this date as available at all! I am getting totally fed up getting ripped off for travelling with a young child in the package deals. She seems to have to pay full price less about £100 to stay in the same room that me and my wife would be staying in anyway. Can't understand where that level of cost comes from. Ok, she need flight, seat on bus, and food in hotel, but for Obergurgl that was extra £1,250!!)

We have to go in April, which is very limiting. I am also thinking of Saas Fee from Geneva. Sadly Easyjet don't have their summer 2010 timetable (for April) showing yet. Assuming prices are same, I could get the 3 of us to Saas Fee for £1,500. The Ingams price was £2,400 for same accommodation. Getting cold feet due to the number of T-bar and the idea of sharing them with junior on the mountain!

Thanks everyone for your help on this one.
ski holidays
Lorenzo, I've currently priced a package deal ( Shocked ) and it's coming in at £2600 for a family of five to Scheffau flying the Edinburgh Innsbruck route, includes a pool and free booze Smile Smile Smile Going 2nd Jan so low season for a lot of hotels. Just need to talk Mrs boabski into booking - she wants to get stuff done to house Puzzled but think she is secretly pissed off as I'm going to St Anton with boys in March wink
I came accross a good deal for a hotel in Saalbach with Crystal flying from Glasgow to Salzburg that had discounted kids - it was coming in at £3k for us which I thought pretty decent http://www.crystalski.co.uk/destinations/austria/saalbach/033196/033196.html
Also worth looking into this mob www.skichalets.nl - Dutch based company doing catered chalets. Have one in Kappl - just down road from Ischgl and is one of Austria's best family resorts. My mate was in Ischgl earlier this season with his Mrs and said that Kappl would definitely be on his hit list for a family trip. Probably an hour from Innsbruck.
You could also try the BMI flight to Zurich from Edinburgh but this would probably be around 3 hours by train (as it's 2.5 to St Anton). The other thing with that is that they don't fly Saturday's which probably messes up accomodation
Good luck with your quest. Maybe if we can put enough pressure on Stelios he can do a Glasgow Innsbruck flight
snow conditions
Edinburgh to Innsbruck is currently £156 4April back 11. That's cheap. Cheaper than I have paid to fly, reluctantly to Munich in Jan. Book while you can!
ski holidays
Ghost Dog, HELP - where do you find that please??
snow conditions
Lufthansa, be very quick there was only one seat an hour ago, bnow there are at least 4, pricing changing all the time. These flights are via Frankfurt, some via Manchester.
snow report
Back to one flight at that price. Best fare for a group of 4 is £275, gets you in at 13.15 and leaves Innsbruck following St at 18.15 (full day skiing if you happened to be in St Anton) You could buy the one cheap ticket, but it might trigger an increase on the other seats.

BTW, if you can't get the site to offer you 4 or more tickets at the £275 price, go back to first screen and design a "multileg" journey and you may (works at moment) find that you can get the £275 fare for more people.
latest report
And bizarrely, if you fancy an overnighter in Frankfurt, you could fly out Friday eve for £181 (Expedia). This may mean it is much chaeper than that as Expedia are happily charging £181 for the £153 fare that Lufthansa are selling directly. Isn't booking flights fun. Makes one wonder if you could create a business whose aim was to do all the work for you, iyt could be called a "travel agency", nah, it'll never catch on Wink
snow report
Expedia is handy for finding routes where you know you have to have a stopover, but every time I've used it I've got the flights cheaper direct. Plus the one time I did try booking thru them their questionable credit card handling methods triggered the potential fraudulent use detectors and I got home from work to find 13 messages from the CC co. on the voicemail.
snow report
Thanks again Ghost Dog and others. Ironically I work for myself and, in the amount of time I have spent trying not to be ripped off, I could probably have earned the difference anyway!

Latest laugh is Crystal charging £790 for my 5 year old daughter when the hotel's policy is for 5 year olds to stay free. So that £790 was for the flight and bus transfer!
ski holidays
Hotel policy would be child in parent's room tho? I spend my days searching for elusive deals (mainly with Crystal) where I get the child discount and a room for the kids. (7 & 9).

Best I've done this year is two inter connected rooms in Kaprun for Ney Year, coming in at about £2500 for four of us, from Glasgow.

Remember that if you have Royalties Account at RBS (£12 a month) you get free family insurance and 10% of TO holidays. I find that one holiday and the insurance makes it worth paying for the curreent account, and we will normally do 2 trips with family to ski it is worth while.
snow conditions
Lorenzo, I went to Obergurgl last year with the family and we all loved it, also high for april. We got a train from Innsbruck to Oztal and then a bus up the valley past Solden to Obergurgl. Its very easy and quite nice beeing driven up the valley. Whole connection took 2 hours and cost about £100 both ways. Flights from Gatwick to Innsbruck were £600 and this year £1200, so for this year we are going to Munich (£400) connecting with train from airport to Munich, Munich to Oztal and bus again. This will take 3 hours, an extra hour, but well worth the £800 difference!!!! The German and Austrian train web sites are very good for working out the timings.
snow report
Ghost Dog wrote:
Hotel policy would be child in parent's room tho?

Yes, but the Crystal price was also for extra bed in parents room. They are making a massive profit from this, or they have negotiated a very bad deal with hotel!
latest report
I used to get flight only deals a lot on this route - can't find any now - best option I think (?) is EDI - MUC and use e.g. fourseasonstravel to do a minibus transfer - still cheaper than the alternatives I have sourced so far - keen to hear recommendations!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Welcome to snowHeads, AndyHeadPlant.

A friend from Edinburgh just used the EasyJet flight EDI-MUC and fourseasonstravel to get to and from Stubai and found that worked well. He couldn't find any direct flights to Innsbruck and eventually decided that fourseasons was easier than the train for not much difference in price.
latest report
Not that its much help to Lorenzo, but Jet 2 do winter flights to Salzburg from Edinburgh
You could always try out Obertauren
Not the same as Obergurgl but a nice resort to ski
snow report
We find best option for a short break is Edi-Amsterdam-Munich and then drive. Flight gets in at 11am leaves on way home at 5.30pm (although if you book well in advance KLM will tell you flight is at 7.30 pm then a few months later email to say flight is nnow 5.30. Weird, happens every time).
latest report
Ghost Dog, KLM also let you take a massive double ski bag stuffed with all your clothes and kit for no extra charge - as long as you phone to give them notice 24hours before.
ski holidays
Driving from Munich to Innsbruck doesn't look too tricky. I've done Munich to Mayrhofen/Tux several times and it's an absolute breeze. (well other than the fact there are no signs whatsoever to Mayrhofen until you're about 5 miles away)
ski holidays
And it's only 1.5 hours to Mayrhofen from Munich Wink
snow conditions
If you have a heavy right foot, no traffic and the speed cameras and variable speed limits are all off Wink
snow conditions
andy, They've hit the A8 with fixed 120km/h now, especially between Rosenheim and Salzburg, so be careful. The local Fuzz are raking it in with "Sofortkasse" speed traps mainly because it means they can hit the foreigners as well. Toofy Grin

Same goes for the IG-L limits all along the A12 from Kufstein - 100 km/h and lots of laser pistols checks as well as fixed cameras. Hire cares with German plates are a particular favourite! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Actually, forget the hire cars, ANY car with German plates is fair game! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
Samerberg Sue, thanks for the warning. Did they ever fix the totally wrecked piece of road (Kufstein-Irschenberg?) - ie the bit where you needed a jeep to get over the enormous potholes?
My next planned drive that way is Feb (unless I do a weekend in Jan - which is very likely).
snow conditions
Samerberg Sue, andy, apologies for hijacking the thread a little. Heading to Zell am See on Friday 8th Feb to stay at my sister's pad. Will be flying to Munich and reckon we'll be hitting the roads around 3pm. What would be your advice, in terms of best route? Had horrendous issues a few years ago driving from Munich to Kappl - the one and only time driving on a ski holiday. I also remember there being huge traffic jams near Austrian border in the summer a few years back when we drove to Kaprun from Scotland.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy