Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best indoor place in UK

Poster: A snowHead
Hey folks,

Just wondering out of the indoor places in the UK where would people consider the best (Least crowded etc) for boarding?

Cheers, OTB.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
outsidethebox, Hemel has by far the best snow.

With any of the centres how busy they are is a function of when you visit. For example, Hemel is manic between 18:00 and 20:00 on Mondays because of Hemel ski club train there. But the same time on Thursday is quite quiet.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
FlyingStantoni, Cheers man. Appreciated.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
FlyingStantoni wrote:
outsidethebox, Hemel has by far the best snow.

With any of the centres how busy they are is a function of when you visit. For example, Hemel is manic between 18:00 and 20:00 on Mondays because of Hemel ski club train there. But the same time on Thursday is quite quiet.

and seasonality - like quieter now (i would assume) and rammed come oct/nov...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I personally still think Tamworth has the best freestyle sessions (Tues/Sat) and Fri night got a good vibe aswell (handful of toys out).

Manchester is my fav facillity, good balcony, great lighting, good selection of bars for the pre/post drink but I don't like the vibe on freestyle nights. Prob be good in the week at the moment as I belive the a few toys are being left out and that way you avoid the Shaun White attitude you get on freestyle nights.

MK gets some bad pressbut would still come 3rd for me.

Hemel does have the best snow, I just feel it's not gone far enough in moving on the indoor experience. I dont understand why they did'nt make it bigger and wider, the room seems to be there, cause when they close half for race traing there really is not a lot for everyone else to play on! The rental gear does look good aswell I must point out but not used by a lot.

Can't comment on the others but just go to the closest or the one where your mates are. As long as I'm sliding I'm happy! Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Timing is everything...I go to MK during the week around 9-9.30am and generally have the place nearly to myself. Then again, its easy for me because I'm on leave and don't have a 9-5 type job. If you can make it at that time though, I guess most places will be the same.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
manicpb,
Quote:

I dont understand why they did'nt make it bigger and wider

Planning. Much as we'd all like 500m long slopes, I don't think planners and local residents would feel the same way!!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Maybe putting it in the middle of a housing estate wasn't the best site then.

It's the shortest UK dome, isn't it?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
paulio, isn't that Tamworth?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wikipedia thinks this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indoor_ski_slope

Wikipedia is often of questionable veracity mind you.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
In November 2007 Chill Factore in Manchester, UK opened making it the worlds widest slope at 100m wide at the bottom.

Skiing through that luge thing to take advantage of the width is a pain in the arse though......
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
paulio wrote:
Maybe putting it in the middle of a housing estate wasn't the best site then.

There wasn't much choice about the location of the slope. The planning authority required that it be located on the same site as the old dry slope at Hemel, and that the entire thing fit the exact same plot of land. It was that or nothing. Without these planning restrictions I understand the slope would have been much larger than it is.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Anyone been to Bottrop in Germany? 620M and looks well priced. Hmmm
The website is not in English though and my German needs some WD40.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, The slope could have carried on going underground then, and been twice as long, and still occupied the same site. Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
paulio wrote:
rob@rar, The slope could have carried on going underground then, and been twice as long, and still occupied the same site. Smile

That's an idea! We can start digging next week...
snow conditions
paulio, the Snoasis proposal would be built partially in a quarry.
ski holidays
In fact it could be shaped like half a spiral, or an S shape, like the peel off an apple, where the end of the slope would be directly under the start of it again, removing the need for those pesky drag lifts and instead having an actual lift or some kind of giant magnet and give people steel vests.

I also just had an idea where you could have loads of different runs of different gradings and wotnot all coming out of the building in big enclosed tubes, like water slides but bigger.
snow conditions
Completely underground man-made ski slopes are the future, I've just realised.

There are plenty of caves that are already broadly suitable, and if not just get a great big subway drill and alter them. Like that thing off Total Recall where the guy goes "I'm gonna drill you Quaid! I'm gonna grind you up!" - one of those.

Also, it's quite chilly underground so money could be saved on the cooling systems. And no unsightly Leerdammer shaped buildings to annoy the local nimbys.

It would totally work.

I've also just realised that being closer to the centre of the Earth would probably make you ski faster because gravity is stronger.
ski holidays
A big indoor slope in Holland somewhere ?
ski holidays
paulio wrote:
In fact it could be shaped like half a spiral, or an S shape, like the peel off an apple, where the end of the slope would be directly under the start of it again, removing the need for those pesky drag lifts and instead having an actual lift or some kind of giant magnet and give people steel vests.

Or a paternoster-type lift? Slide in one side, hit some kind of lip mechnism to stop you, then have it tip you out at the top in the same direction (as you would be skiing down a spiral). Defo work Very Happy
latest report
andyph, paulio, all joking aside, there is a company that claims to have a design for a "revolving" real snow ski slope. They've bigged up plans to build in various locations all over the world, but so far have yet to demonstrate the technology could actually work. Puzzled

http://www.skitrac.com/introduction/
snow report
beanie1, joking? Puzzled
latest report
beanie1 wrote:
andyph, paulio, all joking aside, there is a company that claims to have a design for a "revolving" real snow ski slope. They've bigged up plans to build in various locations all over the world, but so far have yet to demonstrate the technology could actually work. Puzzled

That's brilliant.
snow report
beanie1 wrote:

This couldn't actually work, could it? I mean, making the slope move instead of the skier is OK if you're travelling in a straight line, but if you want to make a nice long carved turn you have to have momentum to create centripetal force and overcome the gravity that's trying to push you onto the ground.

Also can you imagine the pile-ups if someone fell over and was swept back up the slope? Hilarious! Laughing
snow report
I've just been literally laughing out loud at the videos on that site. It looks like a giant record player / vacuum cleaner trying to suck all the little people into the fibreglass crevasse of certain doom at the top of the slope.

What's happened here, right, is someone's seen one of those surfing machines where you're effectively on an infinite wave, and thought "I bet that would work for skiing".

Newsflash, if that person is reading this: it won't.

Also: riding round that thing would make you seriously nauseous and disoriented.

++Irritated Duncan Bannatyne voice++ "I'm out".

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 24-07-09 17:22; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
However if it did work and they built one, I would go there all the time.
ski holidays
When watching video number one off that site, go "nom nom nom nom nom" in a scary monster voice, as if you're eating some tiny little people.

And how the hell do those little people actually make turns? There must be some bloke hunched underneath that table moving them about with a magnet or something.

This is the best thing I've seen this week.
ski holidays
paulio, ditto, muchos LOL.

Ever see That's Amazing with Carl Hooper on the Fast Show? As the "inventors" of skitrac are Aussies, now read and watch the web site again in an implausible Aussie accent and you get twice the fun. Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
outsidethebox, Hemel or further afield (Holland) Langraaf
snow report
paulio, andyph, Indeed, I've been reliably informed by someone who builds indoor slopes, that the one thing we definitely CANNOT do is build a revolving slope!!
snow conditions
beanie1 wrote:
manicpb,
Quote:

I dont understand why they did'nt make it bigger and wider

Planning. Much as we'd all like 500m long slopes, I don't think planners and local residents would feel the same way!!

More like narrow-mindedness.

UK planners lack vision. Residents are inbred.

Noone in their right mind thinks a pathetic 200m slope is a good idea.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy